• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fadi Zeidan

I’m a director in a technology company with programming background. I’m one of those least handy people you’ll ever find. I remember 15 years ago I called the apartment management because I did not know how to remove the plastic cover for the kitchen light to change a lightbulb :confused:

I’m the type of person who gets obsessed about something new and I want to learn all about it. I self taught myself programming before I owned a computer. I would print source code and read it trying to make some sense of this weird language till morning. I was writing programs in notebooks so that when I get access to a computer, I would key them in and try them out.

Couple of years ago I got obsessed with woodworking and wanting to be a handy person. I took an intro to woodworking class at Woodcraft Austin and really liked it. In it, someone told me to try woodturning. So I took an antro class about woodturning and that is when I got hooked. I did not know how to start and turned to this forum for help and knowledge. I am always reading, and watching videos.

I’ve been turning a little over a year. Because of my day job, I turn on Saturdays in the morning before 12pm. I turn in the driveway of my house so I’m still limited by the weather. I transitioned recently from carbides to gouges and am I glad I did. SWAT in Waco helped me tremendously this year. They had hands-on turning where they corrected my form with gouges and learned a lot from the presenters.

My goal is to build a shop and get full lathe, but we’re still deciding if we will stay or move from this house. Full lathe is hard to move to driveway.

I want to become real good, I am one of those who are never happy with their work and always improving. When I am satisfied, I plan to sell my turnings and donate the profits to animal shelters.

I plan on taking classes with David Ellsworth and maybe Trent Bosch his coming year.

This is me and my wife on a trip to Seattle.
C15EB5EA-094E-4469-A947-58E4FEEF57B3.jpeg

Attachments

• C769C436-0875-450C-9E62-9D28DE3A6B9E.jpeg
    C769C436-0875-450C-9E62-9D28DE3A6B9E.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 28

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's great to know more about you, Fadi. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to meet you at SWAT. Maybe next year we'll have more time to visit.

I see that we share the same shop ... the Great Outdoors! :D

My Robust lathe is surprisingly easy to roll from the garage to the driveway. I bought the mobility kit that has 5" wheels.

Thanks Jim,

Ellsworth is a legend and I want to take advantage of his knowledge while I can. Trent is someone I connect with his style. I watched his videos and saw his sessions at SWAT and I can relate to what he does. I do plan on attending many more down the line.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well if you get to the Tennessee Symposium look me up. We will have Mike Mahoney, Jimmy Clewes, Stewart Batty and Betty Scarpino. There isn't a better line up anywhere. It will be late January.

I would love to, but I don’t think I can make it to other symposiums. I have to plan my work vacations and align them with my wife’s. I would love to meet you one of these days. I watch Stewart’s videos on Vimeo and YouTube I like his foundation videos, and I have Mahoney’s and Clews videos. I’ve learned great deal from their techniques and explanations.

Back