• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fay Prozora

I'm new to this forum but have been turning since last Summer. It is so much fun and a learning curve to go along with the fun of learning new things. I mostly make small items but just turned 2 bowls. They are small ones about 5 1/2 to 6" in diameter and now they are in the bag drying out so I can finish them up. I have a C jaw coming so I can finish the back of the bowls when the time comes and such.. I live in an apartment in Port Angeles, Wa but my shop is over at my sister's place and I go there for a couple of weeks out of each month to turn things on the lathe and wood with my scroll saw and other tools. I think these forums will be very interesting. I have looked around and found what I saw interesting and decided to join up.. Take care Fay

Thank you. I have already found a lot of good information on here. I have spent a lot of time this a.m. just reading and gawking at the beautiful things all of you are making. Fay

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
You know, Fay.......

If your heart is in it, I wouldn't let being an apartment dweller stop you from turning there! Six inch bowls are fine. I just paid $107 for a nice burl bowl blank that's only 6" in diameter......hopefully I can make it into something really special when I'm done with it. There are those who equate skill level with the size of your turning.....but, that's far from the truth. It's the quality of your turnings that make them stand out.....or, not! Work with the wood that is available to you, and grab the big ones when they come along......but, you'll find out it takes very close to the same amount of time to produce a bowl that's twice or three times as big.....so, concentrate on excellence first.

Oh yeah.......welcome! :D

ko

Thank you every one. It's so funny about seeing my posts on other sites and such. I have a sister in Tennessee that saw some of my pens I'm not sure which site or what ever but she called me and asked me how I made them and such and thought I should try selling some. I told her I was planning to sell pens and mini bird houses and such once I get some thing make and enough made to try selling. The Senior center across the street has a little section there for Seniors to sell what they make so I might start there, then maybe the Farmer's market in town but that will have to wait until the weather is better. There is no way I'm going to sit in the cold. My bones just won't handle that any more... LOL! But I do enjoy my turning and if I should decide to set up in my apartment I probably could.. Just put all my sewing machines and embroidery machines in a storage facility and move my tools here so I would have to go 9 or 10 miles just to turn a bowl or a pen. My oldest sister has cancer so I have been going over there 2 weeks out of every months to help her out around the house and I can work in the shop while she is sleeping in the mornings. Her cancer is doing great as it is almost gone so that is good. So I guess that isn't too bad... Fay

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome to the forum. If your ever in tennessee visiting your sister you are welcome to stop by. I make hand mirrors that are perfect ford small lathes and fun to sell.

Back