• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing Rims of Natural Edge Bowls

I have been turning burls recently, and would like to know about options to finish the natural edges. In my case I have been turning Maple, from which the bark has fallen off. I expect options would include brushing, burning, dying, etc. How should I approach "blackening" or ebonizing the rims, particularly using some form of ink and avoid it seeping into the wood and running over the edges? For example, could I brush on wood sealer around the edges first? If I spray lacquer on the sides before applying ink, would I need to cover the rim to protect from overspray? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Don O'Neill, Red Deer, Central Alberta, Canada

Attachments

• DSC08433.JPG
    DSC08433.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC08434.JPG
    DSC08434.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 30

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The treatments are pretty much endless.
I just color the rims with sharpies and prisms pens. They don’t bleed on solid wood.
Punky wood might be an issue.

These are few
Sanded with a small drum 09C0124E-09DD-4441-8276-7B03DE2F942F.jpeg

Lightly sanded colored with multiple prisma pens to give a bark illusion 1D84F522-A5F5-4BA2-9211-18AA648F043A.jpeg
4A636E70-0CC5-4F3D-8240-26EB052633E5.jpeg

Black sharpie. EAEE7B1A-31A3-4814-A069-1BDF5C87B2CC.jpeg

Nothing AB6B9459-00B4-4296-BABF-67F418C10686.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Like Doug, if the bark comes off, I usually use a wire brush to get down to the sapwood, below the cambium layer (that stuff between the bark and the wood). I start with a brass brush, move to steel if that isn't doing the job, and a dremel with a small wire brush for more stubborn stuff.

Normally I leave it at that.

If I want to accent the rim, I usually burn it with a small kitchen (brûlée) torch. Then a little brushing with a toothbrush or soft (brass) wire brush to get rid of the soot.

If you're concerned about controlling the flame/burn (or you only have a bigger plumbers torch) then burn it before you take your final cuts, so if there's any "over-burn" you can turn it away.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Like Dave I will sometimes use a small handheld torch with a point flame to go around the rim. I go around several times doing a little each pass to get to the tone I want. Then brush off the soot. I don't burn until I'm ready to sand and do all of the burning before sanding so if any gets burned over the edge of the rim it will sand away. I use walnut oil finish and will also rub oil on the edge to help seal in the burnt wood. I've never tried colored pens but seeing the pics I might give it a try.

I have been turning burls recently, and would like to know about options to finish the natural edges. In my case I have been turning Maple, from which the bark has fallen off. I expect options would include brushing, burning, dying, etc. How should I approach "blackening" or ebonizing the rims, particularly using some form of ink and avoid it seeping into the wood and running over the edges? For example, could I brush on wood sealer around the edges first? If I spray lacquer on the sides before applying ink, would I need to cover the rim to protect from overspray? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Don O'Neill, Red Deer, Central Alberta, Canada
Well I can't believe my eyes. Don O'Neil finishing bowls. Looking very nice too. Good to see.

Back