• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gel Varnish Finish

I have been using Old Master's Gel Varnish for flatwork for sometime. I tried it on some turnings this weekend and I am very pleased with the results. It provides a nice thin layer, with no dust nibs, and I can get 4 coats in a day on a piece. I have tried spray lacquer, brush on poly, and haven't had this level of success.

They don't sell this brand of gel varnish in anything more than satin. What I'm wondering, has anyone tried buffing a gel varnish finish to a high gloss? Thanks!

Last edited:
In the film or on it. Satin varnishes contain ingredients to scatter the light within the cured film, regardless how smooth the surface is. That's what gives then that vaguely out-of focus feeling when you try to look through them rather than at them. Minimizing refraction due to surface faults won't do much for you to help look through the finish. What it will do is provide a reflective surface which is more consistent, giving you the possibility of good glare.

If you're smooth to the touch, don't mess with it. I'm told the film created with satin and lustre varnishes isn't as hard as the gloss film, so you might run into cut and smear problems as well.

Never used this particular product but the stuff that settles out of many satin finishes is what gives it the satin look. If you don't stir it first the stuff at the top is very glossy when applied, I've done that in a pinch before. May be some other chemical differences but it may be worth a try.

Thanks for the responses!

I heard another interesting tidbit when I went back & talked to the folks at Woodworker's Source, where I bought it from. Since they don't make a gloss or semi-gloss of this particular brand, the dealer was saying it's probably labeled satin, not because they put in additives to make it satin, but that because it's a rub-on the makers probably don't think it's possible to get a gloss with that technique. I think I'll email 'em and find out.

That may be true, now that I think about it the Minwax wipe-on poly only comes in satin finish (or at least that's all they carry locally).

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Minwax Wipe-On Poly Clear Gloss

They have gloss wipe on poly.

My paint store ordered it for me and piggy-backed it with their regular order. Here is the Minwax site reference:
http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/wipe-on.cfm

This place in the northeast has it for 10.99/qt and seems to ship it:
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwares...-polyurethane/minwax-wipe-on-poly-108689.aspx

I have only used it once, on a small Madrone bowl. I used it on top of a Watco Tung Oil that had come out a bit blah. The gloss poly brought the Madrone out very nicely. Came out very shiny, and I softened it a bit with 0000 steel wool. I like it so far.

Jerry

Last edited:
Jerry,

How is the wipe-on poly for picking up dust? I tried General Finishes wipe-on poly and that's one of the problems that I had with it. My garage is not the most dust free place :( .

Website
www.zionfire.com
New to me product

Hey folks!

One of the chapter members did a demo last week and used a product that's new to me, kind of pricey, but one I want to definitely put in my repertoire!

This is a Liberon product that you apply liberally, wait 10-20 minutes (while it's on the lathe or in a chuck), wipe it with a paper towel, and use the lathe's power to polish it up. He did two coats and it gave a nice sheen. He says that you can actually buff it up to a very nice gloss.

Product is available through Woodcraft and others. $19.50 for an 8oz bottle at Woodcraft. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5529

Reeeeeeeeeeally nice finish! Thin fiilm so it's not at all heavy looking.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Wipe-on poly

Martin,

I usually do my surface type finishing in the morning first thing, or the evening after the dust settles, and set it in a calm, clean place to dry. That's what I did in this first case with the poly. One or too minor dust bunnys as I recall. Rubbed out easily with a paper towel, 3M fine scrubby, or with 4-ought steel wool.

Poly is certainly not as forgiving of dust as danish oil, or as fast drying as spray lacquer. But no real problem with a little care. In fact the spray lacquer requires just as much rubbing out in my experience. It's just that you can get more coats in a shorter time with the lacquer.

I am not particularly recommending the poly, but I am going to keep working with it to see what I think. Right now the oil and spray can lacquer are my standby's for turnings. I suppose the poly is a tougher finish, if that matters for a particular object. On small pieces of furniture I have padded on "fast dry" type varnish cut 50% with laquer thinner and it gives a very rapid coat build up. Also padded on shellac. Someday I will give those a try on a turning. The padded or wipe on surface finishes are just another way to build up a surface finish with-out messing with spray and the holidays that can result if you are not careful. Wipe-ons might be cheaper than spray cans. Spray's and oils might be more effective on natural edges and voids, altho the poly did give a nice sparkly deep look to the rough bark on a natural edge madrone bowl I tried.

No magic answers, just choices!

Jerry

Martin Braun said:
How is the wipe-on poly for picking up dust? I tried General Finishes wipe-on poly and that's one of the problems that I had with it. My garage is not the most dust free place :( .

It will do it, but the dry to touch times are so short that you don't have to baby it much. I use the gloss Minwax product a lot, in depths from a seal coat to full surface gloss, and it's pretty easy to work with. It's only the semi and final coat you need to fuss with. First couple are sanded and tacked anyway. Semi to final should be a short interval to take advantage of minimum chemical bonding, otherwise the semi will have to be sanded for mechanical help. Make sure you've got the entire surface dulled, though, because the film will pull away on slick spots.

My biggest problem, especially this season, is dog hair.

Martin Braun said:
Jerry,

There are a few General Finishes wipe-ons, including a gel-satin. The Armor-seal(sp) comes in gloss, semi, and satin. The latter dry a little slower than Minwax wipe-on because of the tung oil that is supposed to be added to the product. I have not used the other products so I can't comment on them.

Back