• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinding short flutes to make new bowl gouges

This thread is a companion to one that I have added to the main discussion forum. This one is how I went about it while the other one covers the background and the results of my efforts. That other thread in the main discussion forum is titled DIY bowl gouges and flutes.

Prior to now the method I used to adjust flute profiles was to use diamond burs in my Dremel, but I have recently adopted fellow forum member Hughie’s method of using a thin cut-off wheel on my angle grinder to begin making a flute to make a new bowl gouge.

Initially I fixed the gouge down and handheld the grinder, but found it worked better for me to fix the grinder and handhold the gouge…

20230406_175325.jpg

I used the back of a chair as a ‘tool rest’ in front of these grinders and that also afforded some safety like you do when keeping your fingers behind the tool rest at the lathe. Eye and ear protection, of course!

Using the thin cut-off disc on that right hand grinder I established the depth of the flute and also did some shaping cuts…

Thin disc cuts in M42.jpg

Then I used the wider grinding disc on the left to finesse the flute profile. You might need a stack of two discs if you are going for a wide flute, provided the shaft of your grinder will accommodate that. The diamond dressing tool on the bench in the above photos is critical at this stage. I made a template of the flute profile I wanted to achieve (see next photo) and shaped the grinding wheel with the diamond dresser to that profile, repeating the dressing process frequently to maintain the profile and to keep the disc cutting efficiently. Dressing the wheel will create a cloud of abrasive dust and I wore a mask to avoid breathing that in.

After getting the flute as close as I could to the desired flute shape with the wider disk I moved on to a hard buff loaded with fine abrasive paste. The area of the buff used for that was shaped to match my flute template, as shown here…

20230409_115050.jpg
Hard buff shaped to my #1 parabolic
flute profile template

Following that I did a quick buff of the flute with my rag wheel and I was then ready to add the bevel, which counter intuitively begins by grinding the top of the wings to the desired relief angle, like this…

20230409_154657.jpg

To do that I used my coarsest (#40) wheel on my bench grinder with the gouge held in my gouge jig set to the required wing relief angle with the flute facing towards the wheel, in this case I was going for 42°, which was also going to be my nose bevel angle. If you prefer you can do this step freehand on the grinder platform, but it is important that the wings are ground evenly in relation to the flute. I took that grind down to almost where the wings will meet the bottom of the flute.

At this stage the surface that will become the wing edge will have a slightly concave profile off the wheel, which needs to be adjusted to your preferred convex wing edge profile, or at least straight. I did that part of the process on the grinder platform, flute towards the grinding wheel, and by sliding the gouge slightly up and down the wheel until I had my preferred wing edge profile.

Still on the coarse bench grinder wheel I then ground the bevel using my gouge jig set to my preferred profile, checking frequently for when I was getting close to an edge with the flute. See example in next post...

Last edited:
20230214_101917.jpg
An example of that stage
from a different flute profile

... and then finished the bevel grind on my regular fine CBN wheel and took them for a test run. I can confirm that the steel in the tang ends were fully heat treated and held up in use every bit as well as the primary flute ends of these gouges. Had they not, nothing would have been lost other than a bit of my time and ending up with a funny shaped tang… :~}

One issue with these short flutes is registering them in your gouge jig so they regrind in the same position every time, which is one of the benefits of using a gouge jig. Without a full length flute this has to be done visually, which some turners can do quite quickly and accurately, or grind a flat back along the bar. I did that with some of my Woodcut short fluted bowl gouges and that works very well. Some turners also do this when their primary flutes on regular gouges are almost spent to extend the life of their gouges..

WC BG mod top view.JPG

Please share with us here your ventures into modifying or making your own bowl gouges or in the other thread that I have start over in the discussion forum (DIY bowl gouges and flutes), which might get a few more eyes on it..

Last edited:
Well thats something I had never thought of, clever idea. I wonder if we all had a go at this, Doug T might wonder why his sales were dropping off :D. This has possibilities for many of us, especially those who do a lot of demonstrating, as it could lessen the number of gouge needed.

One issue with these short flutes is registering them in your gouge jig so they regrind in the same position every time, which is one of the benefits of using a gouge jig. Without a full length flute this has to be done visually, which some turners can do quite quickly and accurately, or grind a flat back along the bar. I did that with some of my Woodcut short fluted bowl gouges and that works very well. Some turners also do this when their primary flutes on regular gouges are almost spent to extend the life of their gouges..

Please share with us here your ventures into modifying or making your own bowl gouges or in the other thread that I have start over in the discussion forum (DIY bowl gouges and flutes), which might get a few more eyes on it..
Or make yourself a jig like Johannes vector grind that registers at the tip of the flute.

Or make yourself a jig like Johannes vector grind that registers at the tip of the flute.

Thanks for the reminder on that Lennart.

I did make my own version of that before I saw the Hannes design, which is better. Here is what I did..

IMG_0470.JPG
... but the issue with my design was that I needed a setting block for each sized gouge bar, whereas the Hannes design accommodated any sized gouge that could fit inside his gouge holder.

Back