• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

DIY bowl gouges and flutes

Not many of us have the necessary expertise or the heat treatment setup to make our own bowl gouges from annealed HSS bar stock, but most of us would have or could readily obtain the necessary means for making our own bowl gouges from ready to use bar stock.

Why DIY?
  • a more affordable way to experiment with different flute profiles,
  • a lower entry point to try out different cutting 'steels’,
  • more options in your tool rack for less cost.
Traditionally bowl gouges came with long bars and flutes that would eventually be ground away from continuous resharpenings on the old coarse grit aggregate grinding wheels. Although we still need long bars for reach, our flutes don’t need to be anywhere near as long with the finer grit CBN wheels that take off relatively small amounts of metal with each resharpening. With CBN wheels we really don't need anymore than a few inches of flute to have a gouge that will be usable for a very long time. The thought of making a bowl gouge with a flute that is 6 or 7” long may have been daunting, but an inch or so is much more manageable.

There is an example of how forum member Hughie has done this, which has been recently posted over in Tutorials and Tips…

I also collaborated on that project and, as you will see, I did some flute customisation to optimise that for what we were doing there.

Of course you can’t add metal back into a flute, but you can re-grind it to a different profile if there is sufficient metal to do so. In that post over in Tutorials and Tips I have a before and after images where I have reground the flute profile. For reference, here are the before and after images…

Before and after regrinding Tantung flute.jpg
Before After

With a DIY bowl gouge you can endlessly customise the flute to suit yourself… :~}

Even if you didn’t make the gouge yourself this is something you can do on many bowl gouges. It strikes me that some woodturners will play around endlessly with different bevel grinds, but treat the flutes on their bowl gouges as sacrosanct. If you are not using a gouge very much, or at all, it might be a candidate for some customisation. You don’t need to regrind the full length of the flute, just the first inch or so will probably do.

If you are thinking about alternatives to the flute profile you currently have on a bowl gouge, my thread on flutes profiles and their descriptors has a repository of the most commonly used ones that might be helpful there…

Hughie explains in his Tantung post how he uses a thin cutoff wheel to establish the general flute profile followed by his other grinding methods. I used various sized burs (diamond or CBN) in my Dremel to change the flute profile on the above example followed by an abrasive cutting compound to finesse and polish the flute profile.

If you have a bowl gouge with a flute that is almost all ground away there will be nothing lost by having a go at extending the flute with this method or maybe trying a variation on the original flute profile!

Making your own bowl gouge from scratch

Most of the gouges that we could purchase years ago needed a lot of flute grinding and polishing to remove the grinding tracks to get a good edge. So, I have always done some of that and a bit of flute profile ‘adjustment’ while I’ve been at it, but never got to make a bowl gouge starting with the bar stock.

Inspired by our forum colleague, hughie, I have been recently experimenting with making my own bowl gouges from bar stock. I already had several pieces of bar stock to experiment on. These were fully heat treated and ready to use and not just annealed as that would require skills and heat treatment equipment that are well beyond me.

I started with a piece of ‘ready to use’ V10 bar stock into which I ground a customised flute…

Flute ground into V10 bar stock.jpg
Other round bar stock may be more readily obtainable than V10, and even if M2 HSS is not your preferred steel, it is relatively cheap and a good starting point for your experimentation.

However, there is likely to be some of your preferred steels in your tool rack already … I’m referring here to the handleless bowl gouges that come with a good piece of HSS at the non-flute end waiting to have another flute added to that end. See the following thread for a discussion on some of the gouges that come with shafts that are fully heat treated for their entire lengths and not just their flute end.…

https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/gouge-heat-treatment.20862/

Of course, you can buy gouges that already have a flute at both ends with different grinds on each end. You just reverse the gouge in your removable handle to use either end, but why not do the same with one of your current gouges and perhaps while you are at it also give the other end a different flute profile that you would like to experiment with. I did this with two of my gouges; one in V10 and the other in M42 steel.

Following is a M42 bowl gouge that came with a V flute to which I added a parabolic flute to the other end. The existing V flute on this gouge works well with the higher bevel angles from 55° and up, but gets beaky with my grind on the lower nose bevel angles, like 40°. Here is the parabolic flute that I have ground into the tang end and the 42° bevel I added to that…

M42 tang end flute and grind.jpg
Parabolic flute added with 42° bevel on tang end

I did the same on the tang end of a V10 bowl gouge. … for that see my next post.

The tang end on the V10 needed a bit of attention before I ground the new flute into it. I had to grind the tang down first to remove the rough finish there and to add a long chamfer where the tang met the main shaft…

V10 tang end before and after grind and polish.jpg

I used various abrasives working up to #800 for that and here is the new parabolic flute and the finished bevel grind… look Mum, no beak… :~}

V10 tang end flute and bevel grind.jpg

I have posted a thread over in Tutorials and Tips on the method I used for Grinding short flutes to make new bowl gouges

Please share with us here your ventures into modifying or making your own bowl gouges.

Last edited:
Well I find this effort impressive, and it demonstrates a view I have held for many years. The view that if you can master and understand the complexities of wood turning and the sharpening process, you will be in a position if you so desire to make your own tools. OK you will need some additional skills and knowledge, but its less than what you have acquired already in the spinny world.
I briefly explained to Neil how I did it with what I had on hand, a few images and a couple of questions and off he went. His background has little to no engineering experience, bupkis, diddly squat, nada. Well done sir

Other round bar stock may be more readily obtainable than V10, and even if M2 HSS is not your preferred steel, it is relatively cheap and a good starting point for your experimentation.​

The piece of V10 bar stock that I used was from Doug Thompson, which I had purchased from him many years ago. I can see from his website that he still sells 'blanks' in a few sizes, e.g. .....

Neil,
Reading about how you and Hughie ground your own flutes, I did something similar. Way back in the day (pre-CNC) I was given a 1940 vintage automatic wood lathe that was going to the scrap yard. A 2,000 pound Rube Goldberg mechanism, a challenge to understand the cutter geometries to make dedicated HSS and high carbon steel cutters for beads, etc that needed only minimal sanding. I got so interested in the methods of production woodturning I set up a side business doing production woodturning. Coming at woodturning from the production side you can see that virtually every problem frustrating hand turners was solved decades ago in the production turning world.

Anyway, I see you use cut off discs in an angle grinder to grind flutes. I came upon something that worked better for me. Foley-Belsaw company advertised sharpening machines "make a small fortune in your spare time sharpening saw blades". Yeah right!! What they had were grinding discs with composite diamond and CBN abrasives bonded onto the discs with the abrasives dressed in a radius. A common one might be a 3/16" thick aluminum disc with a full 3/32" radius edge. They came in diameters and hole sizes for bench grinders.

I'm surprised to find the company is still in business. Google on "Foley-Belsaw Sharpening". The grinding discs aren't cheap now, but they last a long time and can be re-dressed as needed.

For those who might be casually interested in understanding how pre-CNC production lathes used shear cutting knives Google on "Mattison wood turning" or "back knife lathes". It's a real art to making cutters for those machines.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if the laser cutting machines would be able to make different flute shapes? Don't know what they are capable of. My first CBN wheels were from a Foley Bellsaw company that was local. They were about 3/16 inch of a matrix bonded to an aluminum hub. They worked, but needed to be resurfaced a couple of times a year. I would guess that they could make a flute grinding wheel set up as well, if you can give them the specs....

robo hippy

Anyway, I see you use cut off discs in an angle grinder to grind flutes. I came upon something that worked better for me. Foley-Belsaw company advertised sharpening machines "make a small fortune in your spare time sharpening saw blades". Yeah right!! What they had were grinding discs with composite diamond and CBN abrasives bonded onto the discs with the abrasives dressed in a radius. A common one might be a 3/16" thick aluminum disc with a full 3/32" radius edge. They came in diameters and hole sizes for bench grinders.

Thanks for that input Doug.

One of the advantages of using the standard cut off discs, besides their cheapness, is that their rims can be readily profiled with a diamond dresser to give you the flute profile you want. I use resin matrix diamond wheels for sharpening carbide tipped saw blades (I do a lot of that for a local community group) and also for resharpening some of my woodturning tools. I find that one of the issues with the matrix diamond wheels is that they are not readily dressed or re-profiled. I've tried old soft bonded AlOx wheels and stones but without a lot of success. I know there are brake dressers for this, but they are very expensive so I haven't tried that method.

Were you re-profiling the CBN/diamond resin matrix wheels that you were using and, if so, what did you use to do that?

Last edited:
Were you re-profiling the CBN/diamond resin matrix wheels that you were using and, if so, what did you use to do that?
I did all wheel dressing with single point diamonds. Here's the dressing head used for radiusing wheels. Not shown is the diamond holder. This fixture is a little overkill for what we're discussing here.

I don't do hand turning, if I did this fixture could be set up as holder to sharpen gouges. And if I did sharpen gouges I would do it Odie's way. Sharpen on a wheel, hone at least 5 times before going back to the wheel. It makes no sense to me to go to the wheel for every sharpening.

dresser.JPG

I don't want to give the impression I'd casually dress wheels. Here's part of my CBN and diamond wheel stash. Usually I can find a wheel that's close to the profile needed. Wheels are expensive and you can dress away 25 bucks in a heart beat. These are not properly stored, when we demolished my business building the demo contractor showed up a week early and we had to rush to clear the building.

Shown at far left are some Foley wheels I mentioned with small center holes for bench grinder use. The others mostly have a standard 1-1/4" mount.

cbn wheels.JPG

I did all wheel dressing with single point diamonds.

OK, thanks for that advice, Doug. I might try to see what I can do with the diamond resin matrix wheels off the circular saw sharpener.

Back