• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly G0456

Turner's,
I'm thinking about getting a larger lathe. My Oneway 1018 is proving to be small for recent needs. I found a Grizzly G0456 that is in super condition. In fact it looks like it has hardly been used. Does anybody have any experience with this product?

Thanks!
David

Happy New Year!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'd look at other lathes. It has an odd size spindle, 1 1/2x8 so it would be hard to find chucks. I never did like gap beds. It always seemed like I wanted to put the banjo there for some cuts when I had a lathe that had it. It is handy sometimes however. I use a handwheel a lot so the disc sander on the end would drive me nuts.
An last but not least if your used to using a oneway and how well everything works I don't think you'll be happy with a Grizzly.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The 1018 is the rolls royce/Mercedes of small lathes.
If you have grown to like the 1018, you will want a well made larger machine.

Oneway, robust, stubby, have the same smoothness you have in the 1018 when you adjust and lock things.
Powermatic, Vicmarc, jet are less smooth but good choices.

Have fun,
Al

Last edited:
Earlier in my turning career I bought a grizzly lathe. I owned it for 2 whole days. That is as long as it took to crate it up and send it right back where it came from. Very poorly made, nothing lined up straight, you couldn't keep the tailstock tight, and it vibrates like a log truck. Junk! And I wouldn't recommend one to anybody. They do make some good machinery. I have a grizzly planer that is 12 years old and still works awesome. I learned long ago that as woodworking equipment and especially lathes go, if you want to get serious and really enjoy your hobby don't skimp too much. Spend the money now and save the headaches later.

Back