• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help!!!

I gotta find out how to make a ball!!! As in baseball. Can I do this without buying exotic tools or books???????????? Any info would be of gr8 help!!! TANKS!!! :confused: :confused:

Turning a sphere

We had a demo at our January Club meeting on turning spheres.

Frank used a half inch section of PVC pipe. He was demoing a 2 inch sphere. So he used a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe. He began shaping the sphere with a spindle gouge similar to the methods posted previously. But he would match the pipe template to the sphere and have instant feedback as to where to cut and to me, more importantly, where not to cut.

I have yet to try it. But it is on my spring to try out list.

John :)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Don,
Turning a ball is roughly the complexity of turning a natural edge bowl.
you can make everything you need from wood.
Come to the AAW in Portland and SEE Cristian Burchard turn one.

The way I teach them in workshops is turn use a blank ½ longer than its square dimension. I do all the turning with a 1/2 sideground bowl gouge.
Mount between centers and turn good ball. See this for some tips on layout and sneaking up on the ball.
http://www.hockenbery-woodturnings.com/SphereDescription.pdf

Then rotate the ball (see photos) and hold it in a wooden cup at the headstock (should be softer wood than your ball) and a wooden point covered with a bit of leather. The center in the photo is covered with a piece of wood with a 1/2 hole in it that fits over the point.

If you have a live center like the mini jet you can make a wooden cover by drilling an 1 ½ hole in the endgrain of a 2x2 put this over the live center an turn the end that will face the ball down to ½ diameter a glue a ½ square of leather on the end. If the wood is a bit loose over the live center wrap a turn of masking tape on then press it on. I make the wooden cup on a wooden Morse taper it gives a lot of working room and costs nothing. a cup diameter about a 1/3 of the ball diameter is the best trade off between holding power and giving you turning room.

http://www.hockenbery-woodturnings.com/Turning20aMorse20taper.pdf

For the baseball I find baseballs killed by a mower and skin them. One of the leather sections layed over the wooden ball provides the pattern for the stitches. Then put 108 stitches in with a woodburner or a feather carving stone in a rotary tool.

When you first rotate the ball. you will see the outline of the ball when you run the lathe. Remember to cut this from the center toward the large diameter. Also the two nub can be removed with a handsaw or just turned
off light cuts and a sharp tool

-happy turning
Al

Attachments

• firstcut.jpg
    firstcut.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 192
  • fuzzyBall.jpg
    fuzzyBall.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Baseball

Thanks to Al for the info and the pix...and thanks to the others for their feedback!!! You-all have turned this project from a mystery to a reality. :D :D

Back