• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollow form with natural edge

Website
www.dehoutdraaierij.nl
Hi All,

Thought I'd share the new video Lies and I made. It is about a hollow form with natural edge. But I wrot that already in the header of the post :). It is a piece of Juglans Regia (walnut). Might be that there are some useful hints and tips for somebody in the video, but most of all I hope you like watching it...

Hollow form video

View: https://youtu.be/iGUsHILy3Yo

Grtz
Ronald

Haven't done any hollow forms in a while. One bothersome part was being able to see inside the form. I found that the "Mag" lights, which are the flash lights with the adjustable beam for 'narrow' and 'wide' worked far better than the standard lights most of us use.

robo hippy

Very nice. I have watched a lot of woodturning videos lately and many are getting to be somewhat repetitive. It's nice to see something different, even if it is way above my skill level.

How "catchie" is the Woodcut ProForme tool? It looks fairly straightforward to use. Does it take a lot of practise to use it properly?
I'm starting to do some deep hollow forms and there are so many different expensive tools that it is hard to decide which to get.

Thanks for the video.

Hi All,

Thought I'd share the new video Lies and I made. It is about a hollow form with natural edge. But I wrot that already in the header of the post :). It is a piece of Juglans Regia (walnut). Might be that there are some useful hints and tips for somebody in the video, but most of all I hope you like watching it...

Hollow form video

Grtz
Ronald
Really enjoyed the video,from now on I will be weary of wasps hiding under the bark.

Website
www.dehoutdraaierij.nl
Do you also have red hair then!? I love the Irish! Been there a couple of times for demos... great country, lovely people...
Believe me, i do most of my work with respirator and a polycarbonate faceshield. (JSP Jetstream). Like this week when i was making lots of little pots with a lid with a chimnee. In KD oak... and I can't stand the sort of sour smell... gives me headaches... (and i have 3 other regular commisions in KD oak...)
But when we make a video i only put on a faceshield when i think it would be wise to wear one...
I can hear the commentaries already, but that's how i do it. :)

Website
www.dehoutdraaierij.nl
How "catchie" is the Woodcut ProForme tool? It looks fairly straightforward to use. Does it take a lot of practise to use it properly?
I'm starting to do some deep hollow forms and there are so many different expensive tools that it is hard to decide which to get.

Thanks for the video.
The woodcut Pro forme is not catchy at all Brian. That is because it has a shavings limiter. The little bronz part on top of the tool makes sure that it doesn't bite in the wood... still you need to get used to the tool. Just like any other tool. One trick witch is important when you want to work easily with the tool is to not stear with your left hand. Only use your left hand for stability and pivot point. The rest comes from you right arm and body. (That is if you are a right handed person of course)

I see a few language errors in my answers... sorry... I'm not a native speaker...
Your English is better than my Dutch ... despite the fact that several of my ancestors came from the Netherlands!

Please tell us about your "Reverse Hollow Form Jig". It looks like a wood disk attached to a small faceplate, somehow connected to a black pipe (screwed? Welded?). And is the headstock end a morse taper?

Hi All,

Hollow form video

Grtz
Ronald
Thanks for the great video. It was as informative as it was fun. As for the wasps... I've found so many critters with short tempers under bark that I now remove bark with gloves, a mallet, and a dull chisel.

The name Reed actually means one with red hair. My mom, whose maiden name was Reed had dark auburn red hair. When my hair was long and I was out in the sun, it had a lot of red in it. Now, what hair is left is mostly salt, with a little pepper thrown in. Keep it very short now days. Less drag as I swim, but I probably make up for that with my beard..... Need to get over to Ireland some day.

robo hippy

Back