• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

homemade power sander?

i'm wanting to make a little power sanding pad that i can chuck into my drill to help me with bowl sanding.

i just don't have much money to buy a commercial one (unless anyone can point me toward a cheapo?)

i guess i've got a few questions for those who own them.

1) what is the material that allows it to follow curves, a sponge or something?

2) any ideas for mounting a bolt or something similar inside the soft material for chucking in the drill?

3) what is the usual size of the sanding pads with the velcro?

thanks!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
i'm wanting to make a little power sanding pad that i can chuck into my drill to help me with bowl sanding.

i just don't have much money to buy a commercial one (unless anyone can point me toward a cheapo?)

i guess i've got a few questions for those who own them.

1) what is the material that allows it to follow curves, a sponge or something?

2) any ideas for mounting a bolt or something similar inside the soft material for chucking in the drill?

3) what is the usual size of the sanding pads with the velcro?

thanks!
''

The hook and loop sanding discs used by most woodturners are 2" or 3".

The material is a rubberized foam used in the backing pads.

You can afford ten bucks, can't you?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...isan_Disc_Holder___artisan_disc_holders?Args=

otis of cologne

Otis,
Also 1" is a useful size. Good price on the 2" in the link from Odie. Otherwise buy a #10 or 1/4-20 coupling nut (unsure of correct terminology, but it is like an ordinary hex nut but is about 1" long), a fender washer (large diameter washer with small hole in center), and #10 or 1/4-20 hex cap screw (bolt). Assemble same. Obtain one or two grades of sponge/foam rubber and cut oversize circles of same. Glue stiffer (of two grades) to the fender washer. Glue softer grade (if used) to the stiffer grade. Probably contact cement will work well. Follow directions on package, apply liberally to the foam rubber.

I would just buy the 2" from aforementioned source. On the other hand if "shipping and handling" cost is excessive ----

Too cheap to screw around with, in my opinion. Buy something, unless it's a pride of authorship issue. As mentioned, 2" and 3" are the most common sizes, and what allows them inside curves is the size and the flexibility. Means the smaller is the more versatile, while the larger will give you less cross-grain scratch, and is a better choice for sanding lathe off.

I use a Power-Lock mandrel and 2" disks. They go everywhere, especially the flex edge, last a long time, and I can change grits easily. I have a mandrel for each of the grits I use in Velcro backing because they grab pieces of wood when I try to store them and don't take well to constant changing without losing their grip.

If you feel you have to do it for your soul, because you're contributing to global warming by turning wood, try the preacher's plan at http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml .

thanks for the link odie. i guess i was looking at some larger ones somewhere and didn't realize it... or maybe it was all a dream.

i suppose i could scrap together 10 bucks!

thanks for the other replies also, i'll look into that plan... i do really like making my own stuff... but we'll see how much the S&H is from CSUSA.

cheerio.

...............................................i suppose i could scrap together 10 bucks!

thanks for the other replies also, i'll look into that plan... i do really like making my own stuff... but we'll see how much the S&H is from CSUSA.

cheerio.

Andrew, I made a 10 mandrels similar to the one MM gave the link for. 5 are 2" and 5-3" for my most commonly used grits. I did this because the velcro and the discs last longer.

I have a 2 inch power sander. I also have a 2 inch inertia sander. I find the inertia sander is much easier to use. The results are good.

I'm not sure what should be expected from adding power.

John:)

Back