• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to mount the mandrel

I'm embarrassed to admit I am not quite sure how to mount a mandrel to my jet midi lathe. I haven't been in my shop for a while. I got a letter opener kit & I have the mandrel & bushings but how do I mount this on the lathe? Thanks for your help - I'm all new to this! :confused:

Don't feel embarassed. Some of us (including myself) who have never turned pens might be interested in reading the reponses too. My brother is interested in turning pens, so I will be forwarding a link to him as well.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
It depends on the type of mandrel. Sounds like it probably isn't a morse taper or that would have been obvious to you. The other type I've used is simply a rod that you hold with a jacobs chuck or collet. One end of the rod is threaded for a knurl nut that will screw down against your pen bushing assembly. That end is steadied by the revolving center.

You can make a wood collet that'll hold the rod if you don't have a jacobs chuck.

Claude,

Thanks for the comprehension check. I have the #2 Morse Taper mandrel shown in the link Ron provided. It's made by Jet, but I'll be using it on my Delta Midi. I haven't tried using it yet, but based on the instructions in the link, I should be fine.

Back