• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hy Tran

That's a picture of me in my avatar--taking a class in Trent Bosch's shop in Spring 2016.

I started out turning pens on a Shopsmith after a class in the local Woodcraft store, maybe 15 years ago or so. Just did that, a couple of pens every 3-4 months. 5 yrs ago, I attended a meeting of New Mexico Woodturners, and saw the video operator was having issues connecting the camera. I helped him connect the camera, and went back to the back of the room. The club president contacted me and shanghaied me into helping do video for the club. At that time, I also started asking for some mentoring help to grow beyond pens. I served on the board of the club as video coordinator for a few years, then, 2 years as VP & program chair. I'll start a term as New Mexico Woodturners president starting in Jan. 2018.

About 2-3 years ago, we finished building a retirement house in the Northern NM mountains 3 hrs drive from Albuquerque (although I'm still intending to have a day job for at least 8 more years, health permitting). I upgraded from the Shopsmith to a Robust lathe... This past summer, I decided a needed a lathe closer than 3 hrs drive, so I bought a Nova Comet II at the KC Symposium.

I've taken a workshop with Jimmy Clewes when he came to NM; with Rudy Lopez when he came to NM; with Jason Clark when he came to NM (well, you get the idea). Just this year, some of my entries in the NM State Fair got first place ribbons, so I'm advancing to "Advanced" next year. I've attached a photo.

I'll try to add photos of my shop later.

In my day job, I'm an engineer--but the last 2 years, I've been really a powerpoint engineer more than a real engineer. Management wants me to be more "strategic" (at least, I got out of being a manager! Staying with a technical title in the technical career ladder).

Attachments

• StateFair-2017-collage.jpg
    StateFair-2017-collage.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 51
Great story and probably how many of us started turning.
Dang! I was in Albuquerque two years ago. My grandson played baseball for the Isotopes. Love NM! If I win the lottery, I would like to spend about a month there.

Here's a photo of my shop (the one that's 3 hrs drive from our house in Albuquerque). It's a panoramic , so it'll look a bit weird. Size is similar to a narrow 1-car garage.

20171124_200919.jpg

Back