• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I Be A Perfeshunel Wood Turner!

Charlie, I'm right in with you on the initial celebration of selling your work.

I know folks gripe alot about "oh, you're undercutting me" and stuff like that. Truth to be told, I've never, and I'll emphasize once again, NEVER come across a situation where someone is complaining about the price of an item because they can get it cheaper from another turner. This pertains to bowls, stoppers, pens, etc. The only time I've ever heard such a complaint was someone telling a friend "Oh, I can get this in Thailand for just a few dollars" and they were bragging that they can go to Thailand, not complaining about the price for real.

Fact is, woodturning is just not that prolific an art/craft and folks who are complaining aren't losing any business to you and yours. They're losing business to the economy or their market.

You're having fun, making a few dollars, and establishing a reputation. You're doing just fine.

Dietrich

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I list for sale an item that can be had on ebay from import sources for .99.

I make this item in 10 -15 mins - start to finish. Out of cheaper woods - I start my auctions at 10.00, in something say like snakewood - the same item is 75.00 - same size, same effort, different perceived and realized value in the wood. I have an assortment listed at every price in between to capture just about all the market price points for this item. The only thing I can't/won't do is compete with the machine made cheap imported ones. Making a nice bit of change selling these as no other turners have got into 'my' market yet. :p

Good luck with your stoppers and if you are happy with the results of your efforts and are HAVING FUN (that is what its really about for me) then you have pleased the only person that matters in this instance.

Will be in Richmond - if you like a good Cab or Merlot... :)

Charlie, I'm personally proud of you for selling a few of anything. I've sold a few stoppers for less than that and most for a lot more. I've traded for wine from the local winery and I don't care what they sold them for, we were both happy. I've given away most of my stoppers just because they are fun & quick to make, and make good gifts tied the top of a bottle of wine. People like them, think they are special because you made it, open the bottle of wine and finish it off, then put the pretty handmade stopper in the empty bottle to show it off. I actually gave one to a guy I barely knew at church (yes, we are Episcopalian and actually admit that we drink "in moderation" but that is another topic beyond discussion here) that invited us to dinner along with some other folks. Turns out he was so impressed that he gave me about 50 bd. ft. of 8/4 walnut he had in his garage. Lots of future stoppers there!

So years ago I was out of town in Tampa at a show selling my kaliedoscopes, my old copper ones and not my newer turned wood ones. A guy across aisle from me was also selling k'scopes for triple what I was getting for them, and all his customers were buying mine. One of my best shows. I didn't steal his design or anything, actually never saw him before. He was furious but I was selling them for what I thought was a fair price, and was making plenty of profit as I saw it. I wasn't about to jack up my price to make him happy. A few times I have been undersold by others, but all it did was make me think maybe I should revaluate my prices. A few times I did and other times I didn't . Fair market price is my choice and not others.

I don't really sell much any more so I give away most of what I make, that is just what I like to do. I'll be in Richmond next year, maybe we can share a few cold ones (sorry, actually more of beer drinker than wine) and swap a bottle stopper or two. :)

R

Ron Sardo

I'm always amazed when people are proud of leaving money on the table. It must be nice to be that comfortable.

Back