• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jamieson hollowing set V.S. Termite tool

I assume by jamieson set you are refering to a caputred hollower, which has advantages, the main one being it is more pf a precision tool, especially when mounted with a laser setup and its versatility. I have 2 different homade hollowing rigs one being a standard jamieson style d-handle the other being a kelton style rig, Another big plus on the captured rig is the ability to use tools from various manufacturers. My personal choice of tools in the system is from monster lathe tools. The final benefit is it puts less stress on the the body of the turner. The cons of the system are the time it takes to setup for casual turning, the cost if you aren't making it yourself.

The termite is simply a ring tool which is great for endgrain, though I prefer a berger hollowing tool as it cheaper and I can use it with with less catches. It does its job well but like all turning tools it takes being sharp and lots of practice to get the most benefits out of it, but once you learn it you can certainly hog eng grain fast. The big cons include a steeper learning curve than some other tools, big catches are hell on your hand, wrists, elbows and arm in general, it can clog fairlly quickly lending to those big catches at unexpected times and lastly there are better tools for hollowing grain running in other directions and especially for burl work.

The one thing I will say is you can make bgoth tools with improvements and for less money if you have some rudimentry metal working tools and are willing to go through the effort. I have both strain and swan necked termite bits for my captured rig as well as a long heavy duty handled model.

cwearing said:
Is there any reason to have both? Pros and cons of both other than price please. :confused:

Well, first, the Termite is an endgrain-only tool. It will not do well if you're hollowing with the pith-axis running across the lathe's centerline. The Jamieson, however, is an odan / scraper style cutter wwhich will cut either way well when sharp. The Termite ( and Pro-Form and other guarded ring or hook tools) will leave a nicer finish on the interior surface when used from the endgrain side.

Next, when you mention the Jamieson hollower, you're talking about the whole captured bar boring rig. The Termite is basically the cutter and shaft and does not include the rest of the hardware. Thus your question without a bit of clarification is sort of comparing very different tools.

Want to narrow the question a bit?

m

I agree with with prior responses regarding differentiation. If you want a capture system, there are a number of options including the Infinity system as well as Don Derry's system. I think they are both an improvement on the basic capture system. There are a couple of excellent articles on Wood Central on hollowing systems...more than you want to know. check it out at woodcentral.
DAG

TurningDog,
Can you tell me how to use the Berger tool. I picked one up from a guy but have no clue exactly how it works. Is there a webpage somewhere that may have directions or show how to use it?
Thanks,
Brian

As far as I know Soren doesn't have any instructions for its use and there aren't any online that I know about, though I have not seen his video it may or may not include some. It is on my list of things to buy during my convalesence though, so i will keep you updated. The two basic things to remember when using the tool is keep its elevation above the centerline an the tool level or you will end up with catches. Secondly you want to ride the bevel in between the 10 to 11 angle

David Somers said:
Turning Dog,

How is the hand and the missing appendix doing?

Dave
the thumb is cast at a weird angle that just looks wholly unnatural, the wrist is splinted in a rather cumbersome position both of which really throw off my typing. The belly staples itch very bad and I have no doubt they are going to hurt when they get around to yanking those out of me. I haven't deciding which would hurt more yanking the staples out of steel hard six pack I used to have or the soft sided keg I now carry.

Back