• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jason Waguespack

Want to say hello from south Louisiana. I'm 57 yr old just retired and want to continue woodworking during retirement. Want to get started in and learn about woodturning. Never done it before --- don't even have a lathe yet. Been doing woodworking for about 30 years in my small home shop but no woodturning. Have ---> table saw --- bandsaw --- drill press --- router / router table --- and the usual misc hand and electric tools. Bosch is usually my choice when it comes to buying a new tool (if they make it). Bench top lathe like the Jet 1221VS has my interest for now, but still considering other lathes. Became an AAW member last week, figured it was a good place to start and get newbie / rookie / beginner info. And been doing a lot of woodturning on youtube.

Just want to say ---> Hello from south Louisiana <----

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome to the group. That is an excellent lathe and will do you well. Since you have such an excellent background in basic woodworking you might find that you will enjoy segmented turning. Now that you've joined the AAW look for a local club around you. That is the fastest way to get around the learning curve.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Welcome to the group. That is an excellent lathe and will do you well. Since you have such an excellent background in basic woodworking you might find that you will enjoy segmented turning. Now that you've joined the AAW look for a local club around you. That is the fastest way to get around the learning curve.

What him ^^^ say! Local clubs are paramount to seeing turners in realtime and getting great advice.

Welcome to the fun of buying new tools. Just buy the best that you can afford and then you will not have to repeat the experience. Bayou Woodturners is right at you or if you want to go into MS , Lighthouse in Gulfport or Magnolia (we meet in Mendenhal). You will find lots of great advise both here and at a club. Take advantage of membership to read some of the articles in old issues of American Woodturner for tooling and techniques.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Good morning and welcome.......

There are a lot of new turners who just don't commit......and the result is the used market has some excellent bargains on great lathes. I understand the DVR is a good lathe, so not trying to steer you away from that.....just suggesting some options.

You will also need a grinder.

ko

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jason,
Welcome.
I encourage you to visit local chapters if you can.
They may have some mentoring or class opportunities.

You might consider taking formal class at a turners studio or craft school.
Using the lathes and tools in the class will give you some insight as to what to buy for your use in turning.

A couple of solid classes will give a giant step forward in the turning skills, confidence, safety, and ideas on directions to take with your turning.

I would much rather turn on a jet 1640 than a DVR. The DVR is a solid machine.
I would not own one because IMHO the controls are the worst in the business.
But in fairness some folks love their controls.

Have fun work safely
Al

welcome to the forum, and welcome to the wonderful world of turning :D
I too started turning once becoming disabled, being a cabinet/furniture maker for over 35 years
It's an excellent transition, but be aware, many things we are used to, is completely different in the world of turning,
but as such, many of the known processes/techniques are also a great starting point, so you're 1/2 way there ;)

Can't comment on the DVR, but I do have the 1624-44 and for the price (got it on sale for $999), it's a great! lathe
Have found support from the Nova/Teknatool people themselves to be quite a disappointment,
as long as you don't have to deal with them personally, you'll be fine.

You'll get frustrated at times, but don't give up, and ask as many questions here as needed,
a very well informed group here, always willing to help out in times of need,
and the end results will give you great satisfaction once you get the hang of the tooling :)

*** edit *** also, watch all of robo hippy's videos on you tube :D

Last edited:
Hi Jason and welcome to the group and to the wonderful world of wood turning. You and I share a lot of common experience. I just retired from Boeing at age 59, I had been making furniture and other flat board items for about 15 years. Wood turning had always intrigued me but I just didn't have the time to develop another interest. When I found out I was being retired (take that as you will:D) I decided that now was the time to gear up for a new passion. I am lucky enough to live near Cerritos Community College which has a wonderful Wood Technology center where they teach everything from 32mm Cabinet Making to Hand Tools to Wood Turning. A semester's worth of classes runs about $200 so to say that this is a screaming deal is a gross understatement.
Anyway, once I did my first turning in September of last year I was hooked! I started researching lathes and tools etc. I ended up buying the DVR for a pretty good price on Amazon via Acme Tools for $1745 shipped. That is the lowest price I've seen for the lathe and getting it delivered to your home was huge plus. I'm only telling you this so you know what the price range for the DVR is. Right now Acme is offering it for $1999 with free shipping http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JIVK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 they seem to put their stuff on sale periodically so if you're patient you can probably get the price I got. I love the lathe. The electronics take a little getting used to but the direct drive, the ability to add a bed extension and the fact that the head swivels make it a great lathe for the price. Most turners compare it with the Powermatic 3520 which I'm sure is a great tool but is also around $3500. I worked on a Jet 14" Mini Lathe at school and it was fine for everything we had to make but the DVR will outlast it and its far more stable and easy to use.
So what else you need? The first thing you should buy is a slow speed grinder (1750 rpm) and the Wolverine One way jig for sharpening your tools. I've seen a number of vendors selling the Rikon grinder with the Wolverine as a set for a decent price. That's what I purchased. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased a grinder off of Craigslist or Ebay and the Wolverine separate. The only reason I say that is because I ended up replacing the aluminum oxide grinding wheels with CBN (Carbon Boron Nitride) wheels so I spent a little too much on the grinder itself. With that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Rikon its a very nice machine. The advantage of the CBN wheels is that they do not wear down or out of true like the aluminum oxide wheels and they put a beautiful finish on your tools. The CBN wheels also produce very little heat so there's less chance of ruining your tool via over heating. I got mine from Ken at http://woodturnerswonders.com/ his prices are very good and the quality of the product is excellent and Ken is a really good guy to deal with. With the Wolverine jig its very easy to replicate your grind profiles for each of your tools. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube showing how to use the Wolverine. A little trial and error and you'll get it. I'd also recommend a good diamond stone for dressing the edges of your tools. I ended up buying the Alan Lacer stone that is often mentioned in these forums and it's worth it's weight in gold. Not only are my tools sharp, everything from my box cutters to the $150 Globe kitchen knives that my wife had to have but can't sharpen to save her life now have a razor edge on them.
I've rambled enough. Feel free to message me if you want to swap newbie war stories.
Mark

'nuther newcomer

Want to say hello from southeast Louisiana. I'm 57 yr old just retired and want to continue woodworking during retirement. Want to get started in and learn about woodturning. Never done it before --- don't even have a lathe yet. Been doing woodworking for about 30 years in my small home shop but no woodturning. Have ---> table saw --- bandsaw --- drill press --- router / router table --- and the usual misc hand and electric tools. Bosch is usually my choice when it comes to buying a new tool (if they make it). Looking at the Nova DVR XP lathe as my 1st choice lathe for now, but still considering others. Became an AAW member last week, figured it was a good place to start and get newbie / rookie / beginner info. And been doing a lot of woodturning on youtube.

Just want to say ---> Hello from southeast Louisiana <----

Jason,

We were practical nearly neighbors, I lived in Laplace for many years. Spent a fair amount of time at the shooting range in Reserve and knew a good many people from Lutcher/Gramercy. When Isaac and the corp of engineers put a couple feet of water in my house it seemed like time to head for higher ground so I went up 55 almost to the state line.

Bayou Woodturners is meeting in Ponchatoula right now but I think may be planning to go back towards New Orleans. Either way should be less than an hour ride. Mark in Houma is a good guy, another beginner doing segmented turnings. There is someone in New Orleans that gives lessons, I forget who though. Being a poor boy I just flail away at the wood and as long as there are more chips than blood flying I figure I am doing OK. Been at it off and on about a year now and still have the issue number of fingers and eyes.

Reminds me, if you haven't already you need to do your homework and decide what safety gear you want. Getting some isn't an option. Some type of a face shield is a must from day one. I'll stir controversy with the next comment but until you do enough turning and read enough to decide for yourself, don't wear gloves near a lathe just like you wouldn't around any other rotating equipment. I turn outdoors year around and I'd rather my fingers turn blue when it is cold than wear a glove. Isn't going to happen! Learn the safe(r) zones, there are no safe zones. Another bone of controversy but I was well away from the danger zone when a large chunk tore loose and hit my face shield hard enough to ring my bell. Good gear and no damage to me or it.

If you take a notion to ride up 55 about an hour I'll be happy to show you my toys and what little I know. That won't take long! You are welcome to play a little too.

Lyle Jamieson has some excellent free video's with good quality close up views of what you need to do, according to him. Hard to disagree, his work is fantastic and I mostly try to cut the way he recommends. Best to kinda select one person's methods to learn for starters so you have some focus, I chose Lyle. A lot of other master turners, select one and try to learn how they do things. Lyle has some DVD's that are reported to be excellent, I plan to buy them but haven't gotten a rounduit yet.

I think Bayou Woodturners meets the second Saturday of every month at 8:30 at Acadian Cypress just off 51. I have been to three or four of their meetings, anyone is welcome to sit in. Haven't got around to joining yet but I might this year.

http://www.bayouwoodturner.org/

About lathes, Grizzly has one that should at least be a consideration I believe, 22x42 $1700 delivered to your door. Supposed to be available in April so nothing really known about it other than the grizzly info. Three horse three phase motor, variable speed, the usual trinkets with it. I like the sliding head, dislike a swiveling head since I own a bad one now. Seems like a lot of lathe for the price but Griz deals direct which takes a little off the price.

Welcome to turning, it seems like a lot of fun!

Hu

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Jason, you have been given good advise. Join a group and get a bit of hands on. I will say if you got a small lathe like Jet mini you can learn to turn in it. Plus its small and will travel with you to hands on classes. But if your eyes are set on a larger lathe go for it. I think our club has the jet 1642 and its very usable. Some top names have turned on it. They even get me to demo stuff for them on it. It works well. I like the sliding tailstock so I can do bowls or hollow forms without leaning over the ways. However? If a Oneway lathe comes up in your area on perhaps an estate sale consider it. I work on a 2436 but found the 1224 to be a sweet lathe. That said i will work on whatever lathe a club provides. Most are sweet machines.

Welcome to the vortex. Now my table saw has turning blanks on it. Yes, get with a club, excellent way to learn, and they have mentors. You can't beat hands on sessions. I will agree with Al about the DVR. It is a nice lathe, but I think the speed controls are not as good as the rest of the lathe. Very slow ramp up/ramp down changes compared to a twist of a knob type instant. It does work though. I have a number of You Tube clips up as well, mostly geared to bowl turning, just type in robo hippy.

robo hippy

Back