• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jeff Hornung

I started turning in 2012 as therapy for a minor brain injury received in a car accident. First go was a week long class with David Barriger at John C Campbell Folk School. Was hooked from the first cut, it was amazing. Joined AAW after a week long class with Kirk DeHeer at JCCFS in 2013. He sold me on the organization and I have been a loyal member ever since. My turnings began mostly as pens to start with...first lathe was a very used Craftsman single tube from the mid 80’s and the $40 set of tools from Harbor Freight. Since then I have progressed, upgraded and launched a supply business. Went full time as a woodturner and retailer in 2016 and haven’t looked back. Had my first vendor booth at the KC Symposium in 2017 and things just keep leaping and bounding along. Started doing demos a couple years ago and made my symposium debut in October at the Ohio Valley Symposium. I do also teach at the Craft Alliance School of Art and Craft in St, Louis MO. My best classes are always the beginner classes. Love to be able to share everything that has been shared with me so far. Since I’m still relatively new to the whole thing I’ve missed out on meeting some great woodturners. Missed a chance at talking with Bhin Pho last year, figuring he was probably busy and I’d get the chance down the road. For 2018 I’ve made a promise to myself to make a point of meeting as many woodturners as I can, new...established...professional...beginner...and everyone in between. We can learn from and share with everyone, that’s the reason I’m going to start being more active here.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jeff,
Enjoyed reading a little of your journey.

I’m always amazed at the rapid progression enthusiastic turners make after taking a few quality classes.
you can make great work on a crappy lathe or crappy work on a great lathe and the skills you build are the difference.

In the small,world of woodturning,
Dave is a distant neighbor he got me involved in the AAW board.
For many years Kirk made annual trips to Tampa for Craft Supplies.

I look forward to meeting you face to face some day.

Great to have you here Jeff, looking to learn from your experience! You should look into demoing in SWAT this August :)

Thanks! I plan to be there. Was in the Wood World of Texas booth with Jimmy Clewes last year and plan to be in their booth again this year as well. Not sure if I’ll drag a trailer with my own product or just bring tools and demo their products. That said, if you have any pull with the demonstrator signup folks I’m more than happy to apply. Lol. Think my biggest problem is coming in late to the game. I have to be much more proactive with applying for demo slots.

Jeff,
Enjoyed reading a little of your journey.

I’m always amazed at the rapid progression enthusiastic turners make after taking a few quality classes.
you can make great work on a crappy lathe or crappy work on a great lathe and the skills you build are the difference.

In the small,world of woodturning,
Dave is a distant neighbor he got me involved in the AAW board.
For many years Kirk made annual trips to Tampa for Craft Supplies.

I look forward to meeting you face to face some day.

If you see Dave, tell him this is all his fault! Lol. It’s been a heck of a ride so far and I can’t see things slowing down any time soon. Wonderful group of people to be with, woodturners seems to be genuinely happy to share most of the time. I’m planning to see Kirk in February at JCCFS again, this will be my 4th class with him. It’s the same class but he makes it exactly what each student needs at that point. For me it’s the next “upgrade”. I trust him as a teacher and know he’s paying attention to the stuff I post on social media. The first 2 classes were all technique. Last year was tool steel and specialty grinds. Looking forward to what he’ll have me doing this year. And I’m actively planning more travel/shows/demos in the future. Always happy to give back what I’ve learned and learn what someone else has to give.

Welcome to the AAW forum,Jeff, and thanks for your introduction. Maybe we will get a chance to meet if you make it to SWAT this year.

Thanks Bill. I’m currently planning to be in the Wood World of Texas booth at the 2018 SWAT. Was there last year as well and really liked working with them. Hopefully we can shake hands then!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks Bill. I’m currently planning to be in the Wood World of Texas booth at the 2018 SWAT. Was there last year as well and really liked working with them. Hopefully we can shake hands then!

I guess that we may have already met. Norm usually comes to our club meetings and one of our club members, John Lauderbaugh, sometimes works at the Wood World booth.

Back