• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Henderson

Hi everyone, I'm nick, French Canadian, I'm a foundry worker, but I love woodworking as a hobby, just purchase an old rockwell beaver lathes model 3401A, it was cheap. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to do so this weekend. Anyone have advise to give?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome,
The AAW web site has references for new turners.
https://www.woodturner.org/page/GuestNewToTurning?

Here you will find Links to Safety, sharpening, tools, equipment
Toward the bottom are links to two video lists
AAW video library - lots of good stuff
AAW VIDEO SOURCE http://aawvideosource.org/
This is a library of YouTube videos that have been recommended by
AAW members and reviewed by AAW volunteers for safety and effective techniques.

Be safe have fun

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hi Nick. Welcome to the AAW forum. I'm not very familiar with the older Delta/Rockwell lathes, but I know that they were well built. The model that you have were built with a gap in the bed so that they could be used for faceplate turning (bowls and platters).

My best recommendation would be to visit a woodturning club. Experienced woodturners can get you over the initial learning hump. There are woodturning clubs in Ottawa and Toronto if you are with reasonable distance of either city. You can check the AAW web site to find where and when woodturning clubs meet.

Back