• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jonathan Silwones

Hello everyone,
bestme copy.jpg
I joined the AAW twenty years ago and my involvement in the organization ebbed and flowed due to various life events. That said, I’ve continued to turn through most of that time.
From starting a chapter, different lathes and tools, and more wood than good sense, I’ve loved it all.

Late October of 2021 my wife and I finished up a five year sailing adventure in the Pacific NW/Canada and decided to start a new life on land. We laid out a US map on the galley table and started looking.
Within a few days we narrowed our search to Pennsylvania and in December moved to our new home.

Old Home
IMG_20201204_115119867_HDR_Original.jpeg

New Home
IMG-8213.jpeg
I started outfitting a basement turning studio in April when I ordered a Powermatic 3520C. What fun to start a new shop from the ground up!

As clean as it gets.
IMG_4730.jpeg

AND THE WOOD! My wife was in tears, laughing so hard, as our first load of firewood was delivered, because in moments I was sorting through the walnut, ash, oak, maple, locust, and cherry.
“Can’t burn that”, “That’s a bowl”, “We’re keeping that!”

Wood turning heaven. I was home.

Yes, I have a lot of experience, but I’m still learning, often from the new turners. They bring a fresh look and eagerness to our craft.
They ask ‘why not’ before they settle for ‘because’. They explore.

Ok, some specifics.
I’m a bowl turner through and through.
I rough out green wood for blanks. 100’s. The more I have drying the better.
I’m passionate about sharp tools and good form.
I always experiment.
I love to learn from others and teach what works for me.

I look forward to learning from all of you and want to thank all who are willing to put themselves out there and especially those who do the hard work to make it possible.
Jonathan

Howdy from Texas Jonathan. Welcome!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
and when he told me about head deep snow .
Ah.. the blizzard of '78.. fond memories running out as a kid and falling in over my head in a snow drift.... 6 to 8 foot deep drifts in places.... haven't had a snow like that in years though, and up here in Potter County, we're right smack in the snow belt (Lake effect snow from Lake Erie) Think the most we've had since '78 was maybe 3 feet deep, last few years, been lucky to see a foot of snow..

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Jonathan! Looks like you’ve had a grand adventure the previous 5 years. I’m a bit jealous! You didn’t want to outfit the boat with a lathe? Ha!

Back