• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

July 2023 Turning Challenge: Final Results

Vote for your top choice in the July challenge

• Anne Ogg

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Bernie Hrytzak

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Darryn Achall

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Gabriel Hoff

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Gerald Lawrence

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Lou Jacobs

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Robert Henrickson

Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Victor Otneichenko

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The turning challenge for the month of July 2023 was to turn an emerging bowl. Now, the challenge for all forum members (this means you and me) is to choose a winner. Voting begins now and concludes at midnight UTC (coordinated universal time) on Wednesday, August 2, 2023. You are only allowed one vote; once you have voted, you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted, you can track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like an actual election), so nobody else can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will gather in a virtual waist-deep shavings-filled shop to determine the winner. As in all previous challenges, the winner might have to pass a lie detector test before being awarded the Grand Prize (rumored to be a dogleg SRG).

Click on the images below to see the original images and descriptions.

Anne_Ogg_small.jpgWWWBernie_Hrytzak_small.jpg

Darryn_Achall_small.jpgWWWGabriel_Hoff_small.jpg

Gerald_Lawrence_small.jpgWWWLou_Jacobs_small.jpg

Robert_Henrickson_small.jpgWWWVictor_Otneichenko_small.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The poll is now closed. Congratulations to the winner of the July 2023 challenge, Robert Henrickson. Thanks to the eight forum members who participated in the challenge. You are all winners. And thanks to the forum members who participated by voting.

We’ll done Robert! If we had been granted two votes, you would have gotten one of mine! But congrats to everyone for a collection of well done, beautiful pieces!

Can you point me to a good video of how this is done? These look incredible. Nice work!
Thank you! There isn't a video. I don't do videos, only turn, teach, and do demos. The curved emerging bowl form is my own development. Elements of the underlying multiaxis turning method derive from an article in AW by Brendan Stemp.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If you look at this video, at about the six-minute mark where he has completed making the half-sphere, instead of flattening the face of the block, make it a curved surface. This means that you must plan ahead and leave enough material on the block so that you will be able to have a curved surface. Think of the half-sphere sitting at the bottom of a large bowl.

Back