• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna vs Jet

I the market for a new lathe and narrowed my choices to the Laguna 18/36 or the Jet 18/40. Originally I was leaning towards the Laguna machine until I read about customer service issues - anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

thanks
Bill

You know from the past when I was starting turning a friend bought a Laguna and it truly was a POS. At a symposium where the owner of Laguna was in attendance he was presented a video of this lathe with a group of us watching and he chose at that time to do nothing. After months and months they finally relented and gave him back his money. Now since then they say they are a better company but I see every few months someone has a problem with their equipment and the Laguna response is again laughable. If a leopard's spots don't change it is still a leopard. Go with Jet and the 5 year warranty.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
haven’t turned on that Laguna.
have turned on the Jet 1840
it’s a sweet machine. Does everything I want a lathe to do.

jet/powermatic has it priced $2200 less than the powermatic Most folks would be just as happy with the jet.
be able to use the savings on a classes and be much much happier turning,
both nice machines but jet will do everything most powermatic owners turn just as well.
the powermatic has the edge on big work but folks serious about big work will want something bigger like a ONEWAY.

I have the 18/36's smaller sibling, the 12/16, and I love it. I haven't had any of the problems others have mentioned. I've owned the lathe for two years now. I don't use it everyday, I'm a weekend turner, and maybe that's why I don't have the problems others have. With that said if I had the money and was looking for a new lathe I'd go with the Jet.
The Laguna and Jet are really in two different categories/sizes of lathes. The Laguna is shorter, has less power and is cheaper than the Jet. The Laguna is also 110 volts compare to the Jet's 220 v. The Laguna has a 2 year warranty, the Jet a 5 year. The Jet has a right side emergency button. The Laguna doesn't. I hate reaching over the lathe to shut it off. I dislike it so much that I installed a kill switch at knee height on my laguna, makes it real easy to shut down lathe fast. If you need something longer or want more hp and can afford it go with the Jet.

I the market for a new lathe and narrowed my choices to the Laguna 18/36 or the Jet 18/40. Originally I was leaning towards the Laguna machine until I read about customer service issues - anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

thanks
Bill
I had jet for 15 years. 14/48. Upgraded to the Laguna 18 /36 with bed extension. Love it. Have had no problems.

Any motor, 1 hp and above, should be run on 220 for optimal performance. I am not an electrician, but when setting up my shop almost 30 years ago, every single book I read agreed on this. As for these 2 lathes, I prefer the headstock design of the Jet to the Laguna. Other point for me is the mobility kits. Who ever designed the one for the Laguna, obviously never turned off the end of a sliding headstock lathe, and for me, that is a must for turning bowls.

robo hippy

As for these 2 lathes, I prefer the headstock design of the Jet to the Laguna. Other point for me is the mobility kits. Who ever designed the one for the Laguna, obviously never turned off the end of a sliding headstock lathe, and for me, that is a must for turning bowls.

robo hippy
The laguna kit for outboard turning is sold separately. It's ok.

Have a Laguna 18/36 220 volt and love it! A bit more money but a solid machine. Shopped for nearly 6 months and finally decided on the Laguna over all other brands. Like buying a car there are lemons out there.

You know from the past when I was starting turning a friend bought a Laguna and it truly was a POS. At a symposium where the owner of Laguna was in attendance he was presented a video of this lathe with a group of us watching and he chose at that time to do nothing. After months and months they finally relented and gave him back his money. Now since then they say they are a better company but I see every few months someone has a problem with their equipment and the Laguna response is again laughable. If a leopard's spots don't change it is still a leopard. Go with Jet and the 5 year warranty.
Thank you - Jet it is

Two years in on my Laguna 12/16, and I'm ready to chime in with some feedback. First off, this MIDI lathe has served me well on countless smaller turnings as I'm learning. But like many others, I had to replace the forward/reverse relay not once, but twice. Getting the switches while it was under warranty was pretty painless, but the electronics at that entry-level price point clearly suffered, and seem like false economy to me. More recently, I needed a new tail lock for the tailstock quill. I ordered this little $4 part from their website on July 13th, and they sent it to Florida with no communication or tracking # to me, even though I followed up with an e-mail that got ignored. I guess that's what the $15 they charged me to ship this tiny part paid for. I talked to two Laguna customer service reps this week about getting the part actually shipped to my address. Both assured me they would follow-up, get it shipped, and e-mail me a tracking #. Neither of them did what they said they would. Finally, the guy I painstakingly explained all of this to today got right on it, and got it shipped today with a tracking # (hopefully to me this time). So I easily spent an hour or more over the last week on the phone and online trying to get this one part that was actually in stock.

I have told these reps I have talked to that their reputation for customer service is taking a beating in the woodworking community because, IMO, they have gotten too big. In any event, I will probably be getting my elderly mentor's OneWay 16/40 once he has decided that it is no longer safe for him to turn (which I told him to take his time deciding and turning!). Plan C would almost certainly be a PowerMatic 3520, but I definitely won't be buying any more Laguna products. I just don't have the time or energy to spare to deal with them anymore than I have to. YMMV, as always.

I know most Jet machines are made in taiwan vs china for laguna. I believe that the machines made in taiwan have a bit better fit and finish and go through a better quality control system.

I had the Laguna 18-36, but knowing what I know now I would go with the Jet, The 18-36 is a good lathe, but I was constantly replacing switches, relays, electronics. Never had a problem with their CS. After I finally got it somewhat dependable I sold it and bought an AB. Have not had any problems with the AB. The cost between the AB is substantial and to reduce cost less reliable (cheap) components are used is less expensive lathes. Since Jet offers a 5 year warranty it is logical that they would use more reliable components.

I have the 18/36 that I bought about 18 months ago and have had no problems with it. I like the features especially the optional lights and the vacuum chuck Attachment.
After reading these comments I am a bit puzzled. I have also had good email correspondence with service when I purchase the extras and also contacted their service department. Over all I like my purchase. But if anyone can give me a real reason to upgrade, let me know.

My opinion on this is that whatever machine you buy- beyond the capacities, hp, weight and accessories there is a component that while intangible is the most important component of the machine:
How will the company treat you if you need customer or parts - once they have your money?
If you never have a problem with your lathe- great! And if you are one of the lucky ones that just doesn't have issues with poor/slow or NO response from the company...feel bleesed
But…. What if?
And - that "what if" is the problem with some of the companies in this discussion. Laguna has a HUGE amount complaints against them. Look at Google for how people feel - don't take my word for it.

Jet, Powermatic, Robust and even Oneway ( tho there is ALWAYS "Another way"....:) ) have very good reputations for not just the machinery....but their customer support. THAT makes all of the difference in customer satisfaction.

I know I’m late to the party, but I’m a happy Laguna 18/36 owner. Maybe I’m just lucky. I’ve had mine for about 3 years now and have enjoyed every minute. Granted, I’m just a weekend warrior and have never really stressed it; I think the biggest piece I’ve turned was a 12-13” platter.

For me, the deciding factor was the fact that they had a 110 version. The added expense of upgrading the garage wiring simply wasn’t in the budget. I know that limits the power that it can deliver. So far, it hasn’t been an issue.

You know, you happy 18/36 owners, part of my dissatisfaction just comes down to my frustration with the smaller size, too. I may have really over-stressed the capacity on my 12/16 with some real out of balance pieces on that 1 hp motor and its whole spindle/bearing assembly. I have started to get some orders for stuff that is beyond my lathe's capacity (this is a new thing to me, as I have just given most of my stuff away up to now). I just want/need a bigger lathe, like most guys who start out with the MIDI's. Anyone who's happy with any product nowadays should do a fist pump for a little victory.

Any motor, 1 hp and above, should be run on 220 for optimal performance. I am not an electrician, but when setting up my shop almost 30 years ago, every single book I read agreed on this. As for these 2 lathes, I prefer the headstock design of the Jet to the Laguna. Other point for me is the mobility kits. Who ever designed the one for the Laguna, obviously never turned off the end of a sliding headstock lathe, and for me, that is a must for turning bowls.

robo hippy
The reason 240 volt is better is that the amperage to the 120 volt motor is twice that of a 240 volt motor and if the motor is not controlled by a VFD then the start up current is also twice as high which leads to voltage loss on the power lines that can also cause poor starting or blown fuses/circuit breakers.
The bottom line is stick with a mini if you don't want to put in 240 volt wiring.

I have the Laguna 15|24 and I really enjoy using it. The only thing I strongly dislike is the tool rest clamp, but everything else has been so much better than when I was using the Jet 1221VS.

The reason 240 volt is better is that the amperage to the 120 volt motor is twice that of a 240 volt motor and if the motor is not controlled by a VFD then the start up current is also twice as high which leads to voltage loss on the power lines that can also cause poor starting or blown fuses/circuit breakers.
The bottom line is stick with a mini if you don't want to put in 240 volt wiring.
While 240v is better due to the stated reason, I have to disagree with the last sentence. The 1.5hp rated @120v in the Nova Galaxi does a fine job in a full size lathe - plenty of power to rough out and core 15” bowls, Have done larger dia work outboard as well.

While 240v is better due to the stated reason, I have to disagree with the last sentence. The 1.5hp rated @120v in the Nova Galaxi does a fine job in a full size lathe - plenty of power to rough out and core 15” bowls, Have done larger dia work outboard as well.
Is that the same Nova Galaxi that is the subject of another thread where the owner is looking for help to solve his problems with the motor and controls?

Is that the same Nova Galaxi that is the subject of another thread where the owner is looking for help to solve his problems with the motor and controls?
You know it is. Only complaint for the Galaxi I recall seeing, but there could be others I missed. I’ve read other Nova electrical problem threads but they were retrofits to older lathes, so the quality of installation is unknown, therefore they are irrelevant.

You may well be right about the motion sensor - dont know if it is optic or not. When someone says they’ve sent everything back and forth 3 times w/o solving an issue, and the capability exists to get the machine online for diagnostics, there’s problems at both ends.

You may well be right about the motion sensor - dont know if it is optic or not.
I went on line , looked up "Nova DVR 1644 Manual" went to page 46 and the connection diagram shows an "optical position sensor 55020".
When someone says they’ve sent everything back and forth 3 times w/o solving an issue, and the capability exists to get the machine online for diagnostics, there’s problems at both ends.
I don't see why the problem is at both ends, if the customer doesn't know the online diagnostics are available why didn't Nova inform him instead of obviously telling him where to send the the circuit board, then testing it 3 times without fixing the problem.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am going to chime in again here on Laguna's customer service now that I have to order my THIRD forward/reverse switch. Normally, I would never bash a company publicly if they are working with me to fix an issue. Heck, I generally don't even complain about bad service or food in a restaurant, but my latest interaction with Laguna will be my last.

After I emailed them asking for yet another replacement forward/reverse switch, here is the reply I got (in blue):

Hello Aaron,

Since the 2 year warranty has expired on your lathe, the forward reverse switch is no longer covered under warranty. You may purchase one through our online store at the following link:

https://www.shop.lagunatools.com/FWD-REV-switch

Your switch quality issues can be taken up with the machine designer, Benjamin Helshoj. His email is Benjamin_Helshoj@lagunatools.com.
Wl57ap3-W26DSWuAgomY0mUEVAM_U4YEqgmWFHCL1HRVeBVuGY7fMWvakfwXUc8-SjsXd8XVkbKe-o4FI-T40S9dVCRq-WVewOEDBOFAEKGROm7voi1hysY3Mb0g__ztbXBhupREcG4AjveTRZYO-DXTjKrUZFY6Ym34NqZ10hjpP5WATu308ee9DbWjRHEIA6G2Itti=s0-d-e1-ft

This email is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipients(s). The information and attachments, if any, contain confidential information and/or may contain information protected by intellectual property rights or other rights. It cannot be copied, forwarded to any person other than to whom this e-mail is addressed to. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender and delete this email immediately from your system and destroy all copies of it. You may not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy this email or any part of it if you are not the intended recipient.

Note that they didn't even sign it. And here was my reply:
"Your switch quality issues can be taken up with the machine designer, Benjamin Helshoj." Seriously, this is your answer for a clearly defective, junk part that YOUR company chose to install on an otherwise very good entry-level lathe? It is little wonder that Laguna Tools has such a bad reputation on the web for customer service. Fine-I will follow the link to buy yet another $5.99 junk switch that probably cost your company 50 cents from some Chinese factory. But everyone on the woodworking forums and social media pages I use will hear about it, and you will (deservedly) lose business to other companies.

In fact, my next lathe will be a PowerMatic instead of the Laguna I was contemplating.

Signed-A former Laguna customer, Aaron Harris

I ordered the part, which they charged me $15 to ship-a switch...

Rant over. You guys who enjoy your Laguna lathes, I'm happy for you, but they will never get another dime from me.

You could probably source a forward/reverse switch locally for far less, and get better quality. It does get my knickers in a knot when the manufacturers of just about every thing make a good machine, but use cheap pieces for important functions that are designed to wear out.

Maybe point out to them that the switch was not 2 years old even if the lathe was. Who knows, maybe they will have extended parts warranties coming to cover these cheap parts...

robo hippy

I just looked up a manual for a Revo12/16 and the wiring diagram shows only two wires going to the f/r switch. The problem could be a very low switching voltage that does not arc enough to burn off the oxidized contact points. So what the ROBO said is true or if you don't use the reverse function just eliminate the switch and either connect the wires together or tape them off which ever is needed to get the lathe to run forward.

I would go with the Jet. I have seen too many people complain about Laguna CS. We have five Jet lathes at our club and they are very nice lathes. We have also not had any problems with any of them.

I just looked up a manual for a Revo12/16 and the wiring diagram shows only two wires going to the f/r switch. The problem could be a very low switching voltage that does not arc enough to burn off the oxidized contact points. So what the ROBO said is true or if you don't use the reverse function just eliminate the switch and either connect the wires together or tape them off which ever is needed to get the lathe to run forward.
Thanks, Don-I actually use reverse a lot, especially with sanding different grits. In any event, I already ordered the switch with the $15 shipping. It will be the last thing I ever buy from them.

After I get everything ready for my 1st craft fair on 12/1, I am practically giving this very well-used lathe to my good friend and neighbor/arborist who supplies much of my wood. I just told him to give me what he thinks it's worth after he uses it for awhile. We have that kind of friendship.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My friend had a brand new Laguna lathe with a serious problem. They sent him new parts that required extensive disassembly of the lathe to install. The instructions they sent were useless. When he asked for further help the sent a reply and said some customers you just cant please. I told him to air this on the AAW forum which he did and Laguna sent him a whole new assembly. So the lathe is working fine now but you should never have to go through that with a brand new lathe.

When I was researching lathes I was asking questions on the Laguna Facebook groups. Three different people messaged me and strongly advised against buying a Laguna for all of the aforementioned reasons. Now I always take the negatives with a grain of salt because all the folks who are happy tend to not say much but the messages definitely made an impression.

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am going to chime in again here on Laguna's customer service now that I have to order my THIRD forward/reverse switch. Normally, I would never bash a company publicly if they are working with me to fix an issue. Heck, I generally don't even complain about bad service or food in a restaurant, but my latest interaction with Laguna will be my last.

After I emailed them asking for yet another replacement forward/reverse switch, here is the reply I got (in blue):

Hello Aaron,

Since the 2 year warranty has expired on your lathe, the forward reverse switch is no longer covered under warranty. You may purchase one through our online store at the following link:

https://www.shop.lagunatools.com/FWD-REV-switch

Your switch quality issues can be taken up with the machine designer, Benjamin Helshoj. His email is Benjamin_Helshoj@lagunatools.com.
Wl57ap3-W26DSWuAgomY0mUEVAM_U4YEqgmWFHCL1HRVeBVuGY7fMWvakfwXUc8-SjsXd8XVkbKe-o4FI-T40S9dVCRq-WVewOEDBOFAEKGROm7voi1hysY3Mb0g__ztbXBhupREcG4AjveTRZYO-DXTjKrUZFY6Ym34NqZ10hjpP5WATu308ee9DbWjRHEIA6G2Itti=s0-d-e1-ft

This email is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipients(s). The information and attachments, if any, contain confidential information and/or may contain information protected by intellectual property rights or other rights. It cannot be copied, forwarded to any person other than to whom this e-mail is addressed to. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender and delete this email immediately from your system and destroy all copies of it. You may not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy this email or any part of it if you are not the intended recipient.

Note that they didn't even sign it. And here was my reply:
"Your switch quality issues can be taken up with the machine designer, Benjamin Helshoj." Seriously, this is your answer for a clearly defective, junk part that YOUR company chose to install on an otherwise very good entry-level lathe? It is little wonder that Laguna Tools has such a bad reputation on the web for customer service. Fine-I will follow thelink to buy yet another $5.99 junk switch that probably cost your company 50 cents from some Chinese factory. But everyone on the woodworking forums and social media pages I use will hear about it, and you will (deservedly) lose business to other companies.

In fact, my next lathe will be a PowerMatic instead of the Laguna I was contemplating.

Signed-A former Laguna customer, Aaron Harris

I ordered the part, which they charged me $15 to ship-a switch...

Rant over. You guys who enjoy your Laguna lathes, I'm happy for you, but they will never get another dime from me.
I struggled with trying to decide between Laguna 18/36 or Jet 18/40. I bought the Jet 18/40 and love it - actually bought a second Jet 18/40 so I can work from two locations. Bill

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
bought the Jet 18/40 and love it -

I have turned on an 1840 for several demos. Great machine in its class.
It a mystery to me how the same company can find so many people willing to pay $2.5k more for the powermatic.

There are some powermatic owners who need the weight and the extra swing
But most would do quite well with the jet 1840.

Dang it, Al-Now you've got me wondering how many awesome tools, chucks and other accessories I could buy if I got the 1840 instead of the 3520.:rolleyes:

Back