• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lathe advice

I had received several recommendations on a previous thread regarding my HF lathe going down. However, many are not in the budget (SWMBO won't get a second job). Here are three that I have looked at on the 'Net, read their spec's, reviews and pricing a bit under $300:
Rikon 050VS 10X16
Grizzly H8259 12 X 16
Penn State TCLC10 10 X 18
All have MT2 on headstock and tailstock.

I had looked at the HF 65345 but it is mixed MT2 and MT1; scratched it.
Your input and experience is appreciated, as always.

Had you considered looking for an old used name brand lathe. Where I live there seem to be many quality old lathes tucked in peoples garages that haven't been used in years. I wasn't looking for a lathe and a client offered me an old powermatic lathe for not more than your budget and it has been great to learn on. Maybe when I come into money someday I'll pick up a new lathe of my dreams which I can turn giant bowls on. In the mean time, I have a heavy duty old lathe to develop skills on for not much money.

cg

Prefer to get a new lathe for the warranty. My old lathe was used- got a good price on it but looking for new now.

It wouldn't hurt to find the nearest club and ask around. There is always some one upgrading. Most of those lathes, you could be sure, would have been well taken care of, and you would get more lathe for your money.

robo hippy

John,
I have the Rikon 10X16. Got it on Black Friday from Woodcraft. I have been very pleased with it so far. It was perfectly aligned and seems to have a quality finish all around. The only drawback that I see at this point is that it does not have a reverse. I do know that some have had to do a little work on the base of the tail stock to keep it from slipping when you crank the tail spindle into the wood.

I own a Grizzly table saw and bandsaw and am very pleased with both of them. However, the lathe that I had from them was one that I was really never satisfied with. I think they still have a ways to go on their lathes to meet the quality of their saws.

I have had no experience with a Penn State lathe so I can not really say anything about the quality of their lathe. But from my two cents worth, their mail focus is on pens and other turning products and not on lathes.

Good luck and happy turning,
Steve

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Is the "warranty" worth it?

Hi John!

Given that you would prefer to buy new & with warranty instead of a used lathe (which I also agree with the others would be a good option - you'll get more lathe for your money), my suggestion would be to buy the new machine from the vendor which likely can provide the best follow-up with service and parts. Since all three of these lathes are at the low end of the spectrum, you can't expect too much - all are Chinese-made imports which are likely (possibly?) serviceable tools, but with probable inherent flaws in manufacture and/or limitations on finishing, calibration, and other details.

Of the three machines you list, I might consider the Rikon as the first choice if it can be bought from a reputable vendor, such as Woodcraft, that will hopefully follow-up with customer support, service, and parts if needed. (I see this model Rikon is sold by amazon.com, but I have no idea how they would treat customer complaints, or follow-up with service or supplying parts.) It may also be instructive to do Internet searches on customer service experiences with Grizzly and with Penn State. Based solely on recent anecdotal reports of tool quality, problems with machines purchased, and responsiveness of the vendor to resolve problems, I can not recommend Grizzly or Penn State as being near the top of anyone's list for these characteristics. (Please note that I have owned a few Grizzly tools, and that while I have heard good reports about Penn state's pen making and dust collection supplies, I have not heard many positive things about their lathes or about their customer support.) Others with different opinions about Grizzly or Penn State lathes, or their customer service are welcome to provide better reports of personal experience here....at this point I won't advise newcomers to head in those directions.

If I was given the choice of buying one of these three machines or purchasing a used comparable lathe from Jet or Delta (like the original "1014" Jet mini, for example) for the same $ 300, I would certainly opt for buying a used lathe which has a much better track record of performance and an established history of having parts available. In the case of these three lathes, I am not sure you would be gaining very much in the line of "warranty" support by buying a new machine from vendors with a questionable or poor record of customer support. The adage of "you get what you pay for" definitely applies here.

Good luck with your decision.

Turn safely!

Rob

Last edited:
I have a Rikon 12 inch 70-050vs. It's the variable speed brother of the popular 70-100. Highland Woodworking has them on special for $249 (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050VS.aspx). Don't let the price fool you, this thing is a wonderful mini! i have turned 11 x 8 inch bowls with very little difficulty. It is heavy, iron bed, almost zero runout, and Rikon customer support is top notch.

The only down-side (for me) was that it came with a small, 4 inch tool rest. Most of us have enough accessories that that wouldn't be an issue. Can always pick up some larger ones at PSI or Woodcraft. Oh,and one other thing, which is usual for any mini-lathe; you need to add some ballast to reduce/eliminate vibration with out of round blanks.

For my money, this is as good as any other mini-lathe under $500. If you can't afford a big one, then this may be the budget friendly lathe you've been looking for.

Jeff, Highland Woodworking was the one recommended by our chapter president. Reviews were very favorable.
Went on Craigslist and didn't find anything that rang my chimes.
It's funny but all three lathes look alike.

Lathe

I have been using the turncrafter pro lathe from Penstate for the last 6 years.
It has been a great little lathe. I did upgrade the motor to the variable speed when that option was offered as an after market kit. Get the variable speed version to start with on what ever lathe you get. The only problem I have ever had is with the plastic lock handles for the tool rest ( I'm a little hard on them).

When i got my first lathe it was a RIKON. my garage was(is) not heated and when it would take about 15 minutes to start i called them. was told that the cold would not effect its operation but running on an extension cord was the problem as they are in Mass. and have them running in unheated spaces. so i ran a new circuit and put a plug in to eliminate the ex cord. still had same prob. when i called up again they said they would have to call me back. after 3 days i had to call them again and this time the guy(same guy) asked if my garage was heated i told him again that it was not then he said that is why. very displeased w/cust svc. would not recommend products. returned it and spent $200 more and bought griz 16x42 $550 total with tax and shipping. easy assembly. great cust svc. solid lathe. tailstock lined up dead ctr. runs hot or cold weather. did have to bolt it to floor but no prob w/that. very happy now for 2 yrs.

do not know about griz mini but have owned table saw, planer, band saw, jointer and drum sander and now lathe. never had any probs withany tool or cust svc.

It's funny but all three lathes look alike.

I don't have experience with a wide array of mini lathes, but know that Asian engineers are skilled at making look-alikes that don't necessarily perform alike. I have reliable feedback about the Chinese adhering strictly to the specs they are given to build something at the agreed price and if the American company forgets to specify a particular quality of part, they won't get any more than they have negotiated. If one lathe costs 40% less than the look-alike, they must be saving money somewhere. If you read the ads for the knock off lathes very, very carefully, you will start to notice little differences in features. Invisible and unlisted differences undoubtedly exist. Caveat emptor.

Dean

Do tell. Seems it's more than a paint job that makes a brand. Though, to be fair, you also have a chance to get a bargain once in a while from a production overrun. Meager though that chance may be, there are a lot of bidders.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/wood-lathe.html

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Dean's point should be well taken, "apparently" identical items, can be quite variable in actual design. I have a story about how I thought two band-saws were identical, and bought an accessory from the "other" place and learned otherwise....
I've also read a thread (on woodnet) where the Owner of Grizzly Tools discussed this concept (they are identical) and shot it full of holes, with specific examples.
That being said... I own a number of Grizzly tools, but am not as happy with the Grizzly lathes I have looked at as my table-saw, band-saw, dust control items.
I also own a few Penn State items and have to say that their fit-and-finish is of more concern to me that Grizzly.

It's too bad you are not in the Seattle metro area, the distributor for Jet and PowerMatic freight damaged, etc tools (repaired with full warranty) is in the area and the savings on a Jet 1014vs are, well, astounding.

I can't speak to the "Rikon wanting to be in the warm to run" issue, as my shop is inside my heated basement. I can however, say that the couple of times I've needed to speak with someone there (Rikon's Mass HQ), they were quick, pleasant, and easy to get along with. I broke the captured bolt on my banjo the first week, and they immediately sent a replacement (had it the next day actually). Had a bit of vibration issue, sent them a short video discription, and they talked me through a better setup that elliminated the problem. According to the folks at Highland Woodworking, they've sold hundreds, without any complaints.

Like I said, I've been VERY happy with this lathe! Just waiting for a Powermatic to show up at my door someday (my wife hopes I keep waiting).

As always YMMV.

Just waiting for a Powermatic to show up at my door someday (my wife hopes I keep waiting).
Jeff, know what you mean- they keep getting lost and can't find my address.

Delta 46-460 Review

Delta 46-460 Review

I decided it was time to purchase a new mini lathe, so I started shopping prices, features and looking at reviews. The Delta 46-460 vs (variable speed lathe) is in my opinion, far above the rest of the competition! First off, it has a 1 hp motor compared to the next hightest being a ¾ hp. Aside from just the motor though, this is one sweet lathe. Everything is nice and beefy. Changing speeds is a snap compared to other lathes. To change speeds, a cover on the front of the lathe swings up and it actually give you room to get your hands into it to change the belt easily! The banjo and tailstock slide smoothly on the lathe bed and the locking handles are nice and comfortable.

So, I decided to purchase the Jet 1220vs……hahaha

Obviously, you are asking yourselves, “Why would Walt do such a thing if he likes the Delta so much?†Well, there is the long and the short answer. The short answer is service! The long answer is also service; but, the details take a bit more to explain.

Delta recently sold out to another company. The first impact was in transferring the warehousing. It just did not happen apparently. The next issue is more serious. Delta had jobbers manufacture many of their parts for them. When the sale took place, the jobbers were not included and as a result, the new owners did not have anyone to make many of the parts required.

In reading reviews of the 46-460 about 50% of the reviews were in the 1-3 range with 5 being good and 1 very poor. In every case, the reasons stated were the service. Some poor folks had waited for 7-8 months for a part which still has not arrived!

I checked supply with a parts company which stocks Delta parts and 46-460 parts on a priority order status are standard 30-33 days prior to shipment “IF†they are available. Many of the parts are not available and there is no forecast as to when the will become available.

I called Delta and asked for a service manager and talked to her about how things were progressing and what the outlook was. She was very friendly and co-operative, but confirmed many of the problems with warehousing and jobbers. She did mention, however, “It is getting better. Some parts are only taking a couple weeks now!â€

I just could not take the risk. Yes I want a good lathe, but any tool or machine eventually will have some problem. Perhaps it will only be a drive belt, a bearing, spindle shaft or other easily changeable part, but a 5 yr warranty is of absolutely no use if no parts are available. I do not want to let my lathe just site while a company fixes its internal manufacturing and distribution problems.

If the service was any where near what I remember of Delta’s service, there would have been no question about purchasing the 46-460. Perhaps in a few years, things will be better and I can trade up. For now, do yourself a favor and stick with something which has service and especially parts available.

Jet 12-20

For what it is worth, I was looking for a second inexpensive lathe to use when I travel. I wanted the best value and ended up purchasing a Jet 12-20 w/o the variable speed. You have to change the belt to change speed.

The reasons I choose the Jet:

1. 5 year warrantee and good customer service
2. Stout machine and simple design
3. Did NOT want variable speed. With the small variable speed lathes, the HP drops as you lower the speed. These do not use the expensive vector drives in the larger and better lathes, they just reduce the current thus reducing power.
4. I am leaving this lathe in a shop in Florida with no AC. I just remove the motor, belt, and stray the whole thing with Fluid Film and leave it. When I return, I wipe it off and am ready to go. Motor is a snap to reinstall.

I found it on sale at a very good price with free shipping ($525 with an additional $100 off - $425 total including shipping).

Little more than your $300 budget, but a lot more machine. Half the AAW chapters have a Jet 12-20 in use for demo's.

Good luck.

Norm Roy, am I to understand that the headstock and tailstock are both
MT2? I thought it odd that they would be two different tapers. The Chattanooga HF store has some in stock so I'll go there later this week to verify it- will take a spur with the MT2 taper. The #65345 is on sale at $199.99 until Jan, 31, 2013, according to the lady at the store. Reviews were 4.6/5.0; biggest thing was having to manually change the belts for changing speed.

Back