• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Looking to trade with a pen maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
2 years ago, at the Portland symposium, I bought 2 pen kits. They are inlaid, laser cut Dachsunds pens. I'm looking for someone that can put the pens together for me. I do not have the needed hardware, and I do not want to buy it for just 2 pens. We can trade for some of the local woods, Koa or Milo.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Do you mean a pen press to press the tube in? I have tools to make pens and would be happy to help you, but not sure what hardware you mean.
I do not have the required drill bits. I made some pens a few years ago, but were bigger size. The pens come with everything except the drill bits. They have lots of little pieces.

Emiliano, is it this one
https://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/library/uploads/INL207-DACH1-PSIDOG.pdf
I made a few of his kits years ago (not the dog) and just assembled them on the tubes, almost as per instructions. I'm not fond of CA so I used a long set epoxy. A bit messy, but this is sort of how I did it. I plugged the tube with some ear plugs to keep the inside clean, laid out all the pieces as a jigsaw puzzle, then with mag-eyes, nitrile gloves, tweezers, monofilament fishing line, good lighting and time, I assembled thusly. Sand, then slime the tube, insert tube into main body, stick on all the pieces, then neatly and tightly, starting at one end, wrap with fishing line to clamp everything in place, two half hitches and let cure. As I recall, there was enough ooze out that I only needed extra glue in a few places, but you will know. When dry, turned off the mono, and turned to shape. All in all, at the time, it seemed like it would have made a great "I love Lucy" episode. Two kits cured me... However, if you don't want to do them... I would love a piece of Milo or Koa :D...

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano, is it this one
https://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/library/uploads/INL207-DACH1-PSIDOG.pdf
I made a few of his kits years ago (not the dog) and just assembled them on the tubes, almost as per instructions. I'm not fond of CA so I used a long set epoxy. A bit messy, but this is sort of how I did it. I plugged the tube with some ear plugs to keep the inside clean, laid out all the pieces as a jigsaw puzzle, then with mag-eyes, nitrile gloves, tweezers, monofilament fishing line, good lighting and time, I assembled thusly. Sand, then slime the tube, insert tube into main body, stick on all the pieces, then neatly and tightly, starting at one end, wrap with fishing line to clamp everything in place, two half hitches and let cure. As I recall, there was enough ooze out that I only needed extra glue in a few places, but you will know. When dry, turned off the mono, and turned to shape. All in all, at the time, it seemed like it would have made a great "I love Lucy" episode. Two kits cured me... However, if you don't want to do them... I would love a piece of Milo or Koa :D...
Yes, that's what I have! Looks like I have 2 offers to help me. I can send one pen to each. I can offer a large flat rate box with some Koa or Milo in exchange. We can continue with a conversation in the Inbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back