• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Hepburn (Unabridged)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hello All...

Longtime lurker here and just joined AAW last week. I just wanted to say that this site has been a great resource for a new turner. I've learned a great deal here and am looking forward to learning more.

Mark

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks Bill.

I've actually been reading lots of your posts dating back a good while (along with John Lucas, Reed Gray and some others). I'm about to receive a new lathe and was researching the issue of bolting to the floor.

Welcome!
as a newbie myself, I can attest to the professionalism of the people here, and have also learned a ton!
Enjoy the forum and don't be afraid to ask any questions, most people are very nice and willing to help in any way possible :)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You might notice that I have changed my mind about bolting a lathe to the floor. Years ago, I felt that it was much better to not bolt the lathe to the floor and instead use sand or other mass to reduce shaking from heavy out of balance pieces. I still think that adding bags of sand is a good first step, if the lathe wants to walk then bolt it down. Just recognize that the connection to terra firma is only as good as the floor and the anchors. If it is a pier and beam wooden floor, it might not help as much as you would like. If the floor is concrete, vibration can loosen the anchors over time or even lead to stress cracks. Something with a bit of compliance like vibration isolation pads might be the best option. If possible, it is best to balance the wood before starting so that it doesn't shake the lathe.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome!
as a newbie myself, I can attest to the professionalism of the people here, and have also learned a ton!
Enjoy the forum and don't be afraid to ask any questions, most people are very nice and willing to help in any way possible :)

Thanks for the welcome Jerry. I've enjoyed following many a conversation here and it'll be good to be able to ask questions instead of digging through the archives all the time.

don't get me wrong Mark, but by all means dig thru the archives
there's a treasure trove of info in there, and you're likely to find something you didn't even know you wanted to know ;)
But, when you do ask questions here on this forum, people will reply, might take a day or 2, just be patient ;)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Mark, Welcome.

The AAW has a lot to offer.
Check out the local chapters.
Members have the Woodturning Fundamentals and back issues of American Woodturners.
You will want to read through posted Woodturning Fundamentals and sign up to be on their mailing list.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! It's loaded with great folks and a trainload of information. Take a few minutes to browse through the gallery. It's amazing what can be done on a lathe. And, join a local chapter to get hand-on help.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
You might notice that I have changed my mind about bolting a lathe to the floor. Years ago, I felt that it was much better to not bolt the lathe to the floor and instead use sand or other mass to reduce shaking from heavy out of balance pieces. I still think that adding bags of sand is a good first step, if the lathe wants to walk then bolt it down. Just recognize that the connection to terra firma is only as good as the floor and the anchors. If it is a pier and beam wooden floor, it might not help as much as you would like. If the floor is concrete, vibration can loosen the anchors over time or even lead to stress cracks. Something with a bit of compliance like vibration isolation pads might be the best option. If possible, it is best to balance the wood before starting so that it doesn't shake the lathe.

Bill, I have noticed that. And I see the debate continues over some 10+ years. My situation is that I'm about to get another lathe and the manufacturer says it must be bolted to the floor so it's settled for me. But, i plan to seal the floor well, put down a rubber mat and make sure it is dead level. We'll see how it goes over time.

I'm not turning huge pieces yet as my skills aren't to that level, but intend to in the future. I'm particularly interested in large segmented pieces, so it seems that they will be more balanced from the outset, not to mention lighter.

I appreciate the welcome!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome to the forum! It's loaded with great folks and a trainload of information. Take a few minutes to browse through the gallery. It's amazing what can be done on a lathe. And, join a local chapter to get hand-on help.

Thanks for the welcome John.

I've been looking through the gallery and it is humbling to say the least! I'll probably join the Bayou chapter here in south Louisiana. Looking also for turners in my local area because the chapter meets about 100 miles away from me. I can definitely use the help, as all of what I have learned is through the web and my own trial and error. No doubt I've taught myself some bad habits.

I was able to visit the Center for Art in Wood in Philadelphia last year (Saints playoff game) and it really was amazing. Anyone interested in turning will be glad they spent the time there.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark, Welcome.

The AAW has a lot to offer.
Check out the local chapters.
Members have the Woodturning Fundamentals and back issues of American Woodturners.
You will want to read through posted Woodturning Fundamentals and sign up to be on their mailing list.

Mr. Hockenbery, thanks for the welcome. I just went over to the AAW site and linked the Woodworking Fundamentals page. Thanks very much!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hello All...

Longtime lurker here and just joined AAW last week. I just wanted to say that this site has been a great resource for a new turner. I've learned a great deal here and am looking forward to learning more.

Mark

Welcome Mark......

Since you've been on these forums for some time, you are undoubtedly aware of my input, as well. I can be very controversial, at times......and, at other times, I'm very much a traditionalist, in a sense that, in some things, I have more in common with the majority of turners fifty years ago, than I do with the majority of current turners. When I refer to current thought, the word I use to describe it is "herd". It's my opinion that "herd think" sometimes stifles creativity.

I don't know what your intentions on a lathe are, but I am strictly a bowl/platter turner. If you intend to make some bowls, zero in on learning everything their is to know about a deep flute bowl gouge......it is the heart and soul of bowl turning, and there are literally hundreds of ways to grind, sharpen, and use them. My personal advice is to stay away from carbide tools, such as the Easywood tools. Learn to sharpen traditional lathe tools, and know when and how to keep them sharp.

Remember that results are the only thing that matters. Everything else is secondary to that. Learning to make the "journey" is fine, but it's easy to get hung-up and stagnated with following the herd on that journey......and you'll find that the herd never seems to reach the destination. A few turners do, and these are generally those who set their goals high and are willing to break free, and find their own ways of reaching their goals.

I see that you've joined a club. I've got mixed feelings about that. Some good, some not so good. You'll learn quickly with some face to face hands on help, but you'll also be getting information that you may reject later. The thing to remember is when you are alone in your shop in front of your lathe, YOU are in control. Some things you will not be taught, they will only be learned by experience + time.

You'll find many turners have videos on the internet. Some are good, some not so good, and some are downright destructive to the learning process, safety, and health......and, will cause unsuspecting newbie turners to have problems they wouldn't have had otherwise. It's my feeling that some of these free videos are nothing more than a means to self-aggrandizement by those who make them. I can easily say that because I don't have any videos, and have no intentions to make them, or to teach. My advice on learning from videos, is to BUY a few of them, and forget about all the free advice until later. The commercial videos are the best way to get advice of that type.

I have learned and altered my turning methods by the input I've received in these forums. They are a great resource for thought, but.....again......remember that YOU are in control. YOUR goals are the important thing, and it's easy to not realize that the goals you have may not be the same as someone who gives advice.......(and, that includes me!:)) One very important thing is to check on the results of those who give advice. There are plenty who give advice, but you have to look hard to see what THEIR results are.....sometimes you never do get to see what they are capable of doing on a lathe........:rolleyes:

Good luck..........:D

ooc

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hi Odie, and thanks for the welcome (and for your insights).

Yes, I've been lurking for probably 6 or 8 months now and I've enjoyed your posts a lot. Nothing wrong with a little controversy if it gets people thinking.

I'm strictly a new hobbyist interested in bowls, lidded boxes and hollow forms. So far I've turned about a dozen bowls and also half that many tool handles (which is really the only spindle turning that interests me). I don't really know where my turning will take me but that's okay. I have a somewhat limited background in painting - oils, some acrylics - and graphic design so I'm not too much of a "beaten path" person, and the herd isn't where I usually like to be :)

Having been involved in the internet back to the dial-up days (and before that the old BBS systems), I completely agree with you about trusting the source of information out there. I hadn't thought about it, but buying some good DVDs from reputable folks makes sense. I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

I am taking one of David Ellsworth's weekend classes at the end of May and am really looking forward to it. I've tried several gouges and really like the Crown PM with his name, and also have a Thompson 1/4". And I confess I've been hooked, so I've bought stuff I now regret buying but that's a good lesson to learn early on, I think.

My goals are lofty to be honest. I want to move from having to think about the basics to a point where they are second nature and to a place where I can totally focus on design and have confidence that I can do it. I expect it'll take time but that's okay and as you know, anyone who is good at anything has been in that place many times.

Looking forward to more of your posts, and thanks again!

I hadn't thought about it, but buying some good DVDs from reputable folks makes sense. I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

I strongly suggest getting any training from Jimmy Clewes, at Craft USA
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/5164/Avanticom-Back-to-Basics-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3801/Avanticom-Turn-It-On-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD-
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3803/Avanticom-Turn-it-Up-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3804/Avanticom-Turnaround-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD

I took a 3 day workshop with him, and it was invaluable!
What I learned in 3 days was worth more than all the dvd's I've watched ........
have also bought and watched all of his dvd's, and truthfully, his were the only ones that have made sense to me
I've been through at least 20 different dvd's, and there's been a ton of conflicting info, and for a newbie, that is definitely a bad thing.

As Odie says, in the end, it's you at the lathe, and what feels comfortable for you (as long as you're working the tools the right way).
I've been a wood worker for last 30 years in some fashion or another, it's hard to forget old things and learn new ones,
but well worth the time and trouble.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
I am taking one of David Ellsworth's weekend classes at the end of May and am really looking forward to it. I've tried several gouges and really like the Crown PM with his name, and also have a Thompson 1/4". And I confess I've been hooked, so I've bought stuff I now regret buying but that's a good lesson to learn early on, I think. My goals are lofty to be honest. I want to move from having to think about the basics to a point where they are second nature and to a place where I can totally focus on design and have confidence that I can do it.

Mark,
David is one of the best teachers anywhere.
You are on the right track. Once you master the basics you can turn anything you imagine.

I encourage new tuners I meet to make a lot of the same thing. 10-12 in a row.
After the first 2-3 you are concentrating on form and surface.
The mechanics of what tools to use and how to hold it on the lathe are solved in the first 3.

You will learn a lot with David.

Al

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I strongly suggest getting any training from Jimmy Clewes, at Craft USA
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/5164/Avanticom-Back-to-Basics-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3801/Avanticom-Turn-It-On-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD-
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3803/Avanticom-Turn-it-Up-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/22/99/-/3804/Avanticom-Turnaround-by-Jimmy-Clewes-DVD

I took a 3 day workshop with him, and it was invaluable!
What I learned in 3 days was worth more than all the dvd's I've watched ........
have also bought and watched all of his dvd's, and truthfully, his were the only ones that have made sense to me
I've been through at least 20 different dvd's, and there's been a ton of conflicting info, and for a newbie, that is definitely a bad thing.

As Odie says, in the end, it's you at the lathe, and what feels comfortable for you (as long as you're working the tools the right way).
I've been a wood worker for last 30 years in some fashion or another, it's hard to forget old things and learn new ones,
but well worth the time and trouble.

Thanks Jerry. I shop Craft Supplies a good bit and will check out those DVDs.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark,
David is one of the best teachers anywhere.
You are on the right track. Once you master the basics you can turn anything you imagine.

I encourage new tuners I meet to make a lot of the same thing. 10-12 in a row.
After the first 2-3 you are concentrating on form and surface.
The mechanics of what tools to use and how to hold it on the lathe are solved in the first 3.

You will learn a lot with David.

Al

Al, that makes a lot more sense than I had considered. I'll bet most new turners - me included - try to make every piece they turn unique to try new approaches. What you're recommending I will definitely make a practice (and a side benefit is having lots of gifts for friends and family at Christmas. :))

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Al, that makes a lot more sense than I had considered. I'll bet most new turners - me included - try to make every piece they turn unique to try new approaches. What you're recommending I will definitely make a practice (and a side benefit is having lots of gifts for friends and family at Christmas. :))

One of the best things I did was make two hollow ball Christmas ornaments for everyone in our family and few close friends.
Took a goo chunk of October and November.
I got the basic idea from Bob Rosand.

Turning the balls improved the curves on my bowls
Hollowing the balls prepared me to embark on hollow forms (after I learned from David)
Turning the finials was something I was comfortable with and mine are significantly different from Bobs.

Al

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie doesn't run with the herd because herding Odie would be like trying to herd cats. ;)

... also sprach der cat.

Heh,heh,heh......Yeah, I suppose that's true, Bill.

Well, except those times when I agree! It's those times when agreement, or lack of disagreement, doesn't make waves. Ultimately, these are the times that doesn't register in memory. There are other times when I'm "rock solid" in my differing/minority beliefs, not opposed to creating some waves, and when those waves conflict with "herd think", those are the times that create sparks, and do register in memory.....!

If I can convince a few turners to keep everyone else's hands off their rudder.......listen to advice......contemplate and evaluate.......and steer their own course by their own instincts, then a few other turners may see through a little bit of fog on their own.

.....if that makes any sense! :p

ooc

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Reintroduction from the bayou

Hi. Just checking in to say, well, "hi!".

It's been a long time since I've posted or even lurked here, but it's been a long time since I've done much of anything. Had multiple surgeries over the past year and or so, and one of them was a rebuild of my left hand that left me unable to use it for more than wiping sad, sad tears from my eyes for a few months. :)

So I can use my hand now and just got back in the shop about a week ago. Boy, do I wish I had cleaned it up back before all this began.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. Reintroduce myself: Mark Hepburn, from Houma Louisiana. I'm probably at the beginning to intermediate stage in turning skill now. Haven't turned on the lathe since the end of 2017 until last week.

So hello to all and it's good to be back. I hope everyone is doing well.

Mark

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thanks Dwight! Good to be here. Love that dog photo of yours. :)

(and yes, I know somebody will say that about my photo too. :D)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Who dat?

I was about to send out a search party to find you. I'm glad to see that you are still kicking and didn't become gator food. This surgery stuff isn't any fun. I've been told that hand injuries are the slowest of any part of the body to heal. Over the last couple years I had two rotator cuff surgeries and two back surgeries. I am just now getting back to turning.

And you're sandbagging us about your beginner status. I know that you're quite an accomplished artist.

Glad you are back. Seems the surgeries were successful. Couldn't you get anyone to clean the shop for you? Look sad and ask in a pleading way. That works with my wife...sometimes.
Lived in Shreveport and Pineville many years ago. No crawfish boils around here.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hi Bill, Al, John! I'm not gator food yet, much to the dismay of some no doubt. Yes the surgeries were, but like you said, the rehab will still take another few months.

I'm going to save that pleading look for now. If I try to use it to get my shop cleaned, I'll really need surgery! :-D

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Welcome back! I missed your humorous comments and sometimes self-deprecating humor. I too know what it's like to not turn for a long time (2 years and then only on a limited basis since then). I don't post much but I do check in almost every day. I also don't have the courage to post a "head shot" for my avatar :rolleyes: .....so, kudos to you! :D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome back! I missed your humorous comments and sometimes self-deprecating humor. I too know what it's like to not turn for a long time (2 years and then only on a limited basis since then). I don't post much but I do check in almost every day. I also don't have the courage to post a "head shot" for my avatar :rolleyes: .....so, kudos to you! :D

Hey Tom, thanks! I almost took that photo down today and replaced it with something else but when I saw the Louisiana plaque that my grandkids painted for me, well, I just had to keep it.

And yes, my photo is a study in courage. With a nose like mine, I should be sniffing for drugs at the airport. But consider this my selfless act to make others look good by comparison.

:-D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark, just noticed the wall plaque on the background.

Hi John. Yes, that's a plaque that my grand kids did for me a while back. It was presented on my birthday with all the gravity and circumstance you'd expect at a state dinner. :)

They ask about it and so I always can show them it's hanging in my office. By the way, I love that signature line of yours.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Hey there Gerald. How's things in the Jackson area? Good to hear from you!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
That would be great Gerald! I'm on LA 24 and you come in on 90 and take a left instead of a right. No more than 3 miles so not out of the way really at all.

I moved my mom and dad into a house in Thibodaux a few years ago. As you may recall, that's "high country", being 11 feet above sea level and all.

By the way, for those of you who may be curious, Thibodaux is pronounced "tib-0-dough". We seem to scatter X's all over our words, but never pronounce them. Go figure.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I thought that any fool should know that, but I guess that not everybody grew up on the Gulf coast. :D I got a bunch of Cajun in-laws and out-laws. :)

Clearly not all fools know it. Just most of us. In-laws, out-laws, ain't dem all de same, mon amie? :-D

Clearly not all fools know it. Just most of us. In-laws, out-laws, ain't dem all de same, mon amie? :-D
C'est bon! When I moved to Pineville, I was told that most of the people south of there was named Dugas, Fontenot, Thibobeaux.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Dat's right John. And none of them pronounce the last letter of "dem" names!

Back