• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Jundanian

Hello from the Chicago area. I started turning in April 2017 when my wife saw an announcement from a local arts center for a one day bowl turning class and said: "Honey, why don't we sign up for this, it says we can each turn a bowl..." I don't know what else she was going to say because I was too busy saying yes.

We enjoyed the class and I was hooked, and my wife has remained interested enough to take a turn or two on the lathe along the way, too.

We started out on a 70's era Craftsman lathe, but pretty quickly moved to a Nova 1624, with which we are very pleased.

My primary interest at this point is bowls, and I use carbide scrappers exclusively, but there are many other forms and tools that I will eventually explore. I get a little frustrated that one can only turn so fast, and to date I have only done 14 bowls. Here are some pictures of my most recent project (hope these aren't too many or too big).

SAM_0655.JPG SAM_0654.JPG SAM_0657.JPG SAM_0658.JPG SAM_0656.JPG SAM_0659.JPG

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Mark,
Welcome. I especially enjoyed you story because my wife is a pretty good turner too.
She started turning about 20 years ago. It has been a lot of fun working at the same time, teaching together and helping each other in demos.

Back