• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mark Porter

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to turning. I am having a ball covering my whole shop with savings!

A friend asked me to a local turner's meeting and I'm hooked. I haven't joined AAW yet, but I did join the local club UTWAC (Up There Woodturner's of Aroostook County).

UTWAC had a loaner lathe (Jet 10-14) they let me have for a test drive and to really let the turning fever get a grip. It worked.

I just wanted to say hello and to say what a great site you have here. Loads of learning to be had here, Thanks.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have got it bad.... which is good.:)

John Jordan once told me that someone asked him "How do I become a better turner" His reply was "Stand at the lathe" Truer words were never spoken. It sounds like you are on your way.

And John, please forgive me if I got it a bit wrong. But it seems to be true for me.

Best wishes,

Dave

Mark

Wood turning is very, very addictive along with collecting all the necessary tools to work with. I go out to the shop in the morning and before I know it, it's time for lunch. Back out the again, it's time for supper. You guessed it, back out to the shop and then it's dark. A friend of mine years ago stated that to become good- "Turn and turn and turn again and when you are tired turn some more." By doing this, this developes muscle memory and the correct ues of the tools to get the cut that you want, along with your mind's eye. That is the easy part, then comes the sanding and finishing. Turning is only half of the project the finishing is the other half. You can have a great piece that is turned perfect and the finish is bad and it will be bad. On the other hand the piece can be a not so good turning, but the finish is great. It takes both of these to make a great piece. Oh ya, Welcome!

Gary

What a Difference a Letter Makes

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to turning. I am having a ball covering my whole shop with savings!

Savings!? You must have been drawn into a different vortex than the rest of us! Enjoy the ride!

John

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
MARK-- Welcome to the vortex. Jim

Vortex?......I lean towards "black hole"......:D

Savings!? You must have been drawn into a different vortex than the rest of us! Enjoy the ride!

John

Yep, buying that lathe is just the "starter kit", the spending has just begun, my friend!

ooc

I can't believe that I messed up my first post!:D I'm sure it won't be the last .

You are very correct, not near as many savings as shavings!

I am surprised that the different tool companies haven't realised if they gave away a free starter lathe, they could still clean up on tool sales!

I'm even enjoying making my own tools and handles. Everyone in the family has new wooden handles for everything!!

Thanks for the welcome.

Back