• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Martin Osborn

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
Hello everyone. I've been away from AAW for a couple years. Just came into a fairly new PM 3520A. Renewed my membership and looking forward to all that is ahead. I'm a little giddy about this new Mustard Monster. I have a huge learning curve as I have moved up into the Powermatic world from a mini lathe! I will be attending a hollow turning course next month, have projects lined up - especially the ones that have been sitting because they could't be dine on the mini. I'm also looking forward to a weekend with Ellsworth next Spring. I hope to find my way around here and the various resources and eventually begin to share some of my turnings. Thanks, Martin.

Attachments

• image-687336825.jpg
    image-687336825.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 129
Welcome, Martin. I envy you your new friend. I notice that you have WAY too interesting and clean a work area. You might have to turn with your eyes closed in order to keep focused.;)
Dean Center

Welcome back Martin! Your story is a whole lot like mine, difference being I wound up with a PM3520B. That's a good looking lathe, looks like new. Have fun and enjoy the wonderful world of woodturning.

Welcome,
I too have a 3520 Powermatic. Check out the want adds if you are looking or a Center Saver set up at a great price!
Alice:)

A lot

What's the difference between the 3520A and B?

ooc

I have both in my shop. Bango's are different, Tool rest is on different angles.
Head stock is flat with rubber mat on the "B" Indexing on front of "B" Longer distance between headstock and chuck due to indexing being on front. B also has digital speed readout on front so you know how fast the lathe is going. Just to name a few.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I have both in my shop. Bango's are different, Tool rest is on different angles.
Head stock is flat with rubber mat on the "B" Indexing on front of "B" Longer distance between headstock and chuck due to indexing being on front. B also has digital speed readout on front so you know how fast the lathe is going. Just to name a few.

Quite an extensive re-do.....sounds like!

Thanks, Timothy.....

ooc

Last edited:
I think they also changed the quill and hand wheel on the tail stock and also added a door for storage. Made a better knockout bar with a slide hammer. Moved the pulley closer to the front of the headstock. And added the comparator.

Website
Www.MartinPens.com
KurtB said:
Martin,
I was referring to the banjo on the B model. It is about 4-5 inches longer and has grooves in the sides to accept a hood for use with a dust collector.

http://content.powermatic.com/manuals/1352001_man.pdf See Fig. 16

I see the groove in fig. 16. The offset banjo I have is also long and has the groove. Where do I find the hood that slides in the grooves? I'll do a search and start looking. Thanks for the lead. The A model doesn't have indexing, but the VM120 chuck I ordered does! So far digital readout has not been an issue.

Back