• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need 38" long tool rest

I plan on turning some 38" long spindles that will become the back legs on some ladder back chairs. I just fabricated a bed extension for my General lathe so I can go to 47". Most of the long tool rests I've seen are fabricated to fit into two separate banjo's. I've also seen a couple that are solid wood that attach to the bed. I'm considering a design where the tool rest fits into the banjo on one end but attaches to the tailstock on the other end. The mount on the tailstock would be adjustable to match whatever I have in the banjo. All in my head at this point.

Before I start fabricating something, thought I would ask if anybody has a good design for a extra long tool rest. I will be using a Oneway spindle steady so I would like to move it freely along the bed as I also turn some small diameter extra long things.

I created a long rest a couple of years ago and have it in use this week. Just a piece of 3/8 x 1-1/2 steel I had floating around, type and source forgotten but decent stuff. Posts were 1" rod with rabbets machined at about 25 degree pitch by a friend, I drilled and tapped for 1/4" hex socket flat head attachment screws. Length was 31", just the length I found I had laying around and has worked well. Bought a second banjo fro the 3520 from Oneway, who produce this size for their 20" lathes, readily available and FAR less expensive than what Powermatic offers. I've found it plenty effective considering that it was just cobbled together from what I had on hand with no design elaborations. Good luck with your project!

Attachments

• LongToolRestOA.JPG
    LongToolRestOA.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 49
  • LongToolRestPost.JPG
    LongToolRestPost.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 49
  • LongToolRestAttachment.JPG
    LongToolRestAttachment.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 49
There is no need to buy a second banjo. When I needed a second banjo, I simply built it from scrap oak for use on a Jet 1642. When I got a larger lathe, I simply added a 'riser block' and it has done the job well (turning baseball bats, chair components, etc). Long ago I was able to get a 26" tool rest in a clearance sale for maybe $10. If/when I need a longer rest, I'll do as suggested above, and use my oak banjo. Actually, the need is looming, since I need to turn some 29-30" back posts for a fan back Windsor armchair.

Attachments

• 0 DSCF0158 sm.JPG
    0 DSCF0158 sm.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 32

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I made a long tool rest from an oak 1x2. Worked fine for the 2 or 3 uses I had for it.
I attached one end to a wooden post turned to fit in the banjo. Rounded the top corners with a table mounted router.
Wax the top with an old candle.
Clamped the other end on the tailstock with some big C clamps.

Obviously has a built in diameter limit.
Probably get close to 3” diameter on the general.
Could get a larger diameter by making a different support to clamp to the ways.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how many pieces you are going to be turning. I like Chuck's tool rest. Having it angled is huge. Also, Chuck has hex screws so if the banjo post holes are not spot on parallel, you can adjust. You can buy drill rod, get the A type (even unhardened it is harder than the O or W type), and I think lengths are 36 inches, so you may have to splice a piece on. You could go with oak or hickory, and use a ball bit in a router to make a groove for the drill rod and then epoxy it in place. A clamp of sorts on one end, and your banjo on the other. I have pondered doing this many times, but haven't gotten a 'round-2-it' yet. I do want to make some mattarellos, which are 3 foot long pasta rolling pins.

robo hippy

I plan on turning some 38" long spindles that will become the back legs on some ladder back chairs. I just fabricated a bed extension for my General lathe so I can go to 47". Most of the long tool rests I've seen are fabricated to fit into two separate banjo's. I've also seen a couple that are solid wood that attach to the bed. I'm considering a design where the tool rest fits into the banjo on one end but attaches to the tailstock on the other end. The mount on the tailstock would be adjustable to match whatever I have in the banjo. All in my head at this point.

Before I start fabricating something, thought I would ask if anybody has a good design for a extra long tool rest. I will be using a Oneway spindle steady so I would like to move it freely along the bed as I also turn some small diameter extra long things.
I don't have the link handy, but there is an article online where the guy mounted the other end of his rest to the tailstock. He just drilled and tapped for a bolt, as I remember it. Trying searching the term 'chairmaker's toolrest'.

I made a long tool rest a while back from 2" angle iron and some maple. I have two banjos so that was my approach. It is long enough that I can use the full length of my General; I might actually cut it a bit shorter. I like it so much I made a bunch more: one at 25" (for a standard 29" table leg), one at 19", and one at 7" because I had a piece and it fell in the gap between my 4" and 12" factory rests. I need to get some more hours on them.... if necessary, I will add the drillrod modification, but so far I don't feel the need. The steel angle is a lot harder than cast iron.

1701964015475.jpeg

The longest one at the bottom I drilled and tapped two 1" posts, and used bolts. The others I bought 1" Rikon tool posts that are pre-threaded, and tapped the angle iron. The General banjo hole is a little smaller than 1", so the shinier posts have already been turned down to the right diameter, the black ones aren't done yet. The tool caddy is a work in progress; I have very little free wall space, so this is giving me some vertical space.

I guess it depends on how many pieces you are going to be turning. I like Chuck's tool rest. Having it angled is huge. Also, Chuck has hex screws so if the banjo post holes are not spot on parallel, you can adjust. You can buy drill rod, get the A type (even unhardened it is harder than the O or W type), and I think lengths are 36 inches, so you may have to splice a piece on. You could go with oak or hickory, and use a ball bit in a router to make a groove for the drill rod and then epoxy it in place. A clamp of sorts on one end, and your banjo on the other. I have pondered doing this many times, but haven't gotten a 'round-2-it' yet. I do want to make some mattarellos, which are 3 foot long pasta rolling pins.

robo hippy
You can also get drillrod in 12', and most places that have 12' will also cut it in half, so 6'. I don't know why they don't just say you can buy 3', 6'. or 12'.

Adrian, May I ask what the purpose of the maple is? Vibration dampening maybe?
Well..... you know how the old factory rests had a place for you to rest a finger as you moved the tool along the rest....usually sort of a cove? The new generation like Robust has rethought that, but they seem to think your fingers will be in contact with the rest. In my first one, the longest, I was fooling around trying to find the right shape. But, mostly now, I am trying to turn without touching the tool rest, just occasionally touching off it (picked that up from Stuart Batty, I think). So I don`t need a complicated shape. Most of the chairmakers and furnituremakers who use long rests just have a simple angled ramp. So that`s what I did in the newer ones. They may may be too tall, but I can always make them shorter, early days. So....just a place to rest a finger, when I need to.

Back