• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New "Getting Started" Forum

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Several months ago a poll was conducted asking if the Newbie forum should be combined with the Woodturning Discussion forum and the results was an overwhelming 85% in favor of combining the two forums. A survey of the threads in the Newbie forum showed that they were very comparable to threads in the Woodturning Discussion forum. Additionally, the name "Newbie" was frequently perceived as having pejorative connotations. I periodically received comments from new turners that there was a negative message implying that they weren't yet welcome to post in the main Woodturning Discussion forum and in effect there was a caste system and "their place" was the Newbie forum. At the same time, some members felt that the Newbie forum could serve a more useful purpose without the negative connotations, but a more clearly defined purpose was needed.

The purpose of the new "Getting Started" forum is intended to complement the AAW 's "Discover Woodturning" initiative. If you are brand new to woodturning and are seeking help from fellow woodturners to get you started, this is the place to ask your questions. Our friendly forum members are eager to help you with any questions that you may have because we've all been there and can relate to any question that you might have.

Over the last couple weeks I have been moving old threads in the Newbie forum to other forums on this site, mostly to the Woodturning Discussion forum, but some were moved to the new Getting Started forum. All of the threads that were on page 1 of the Newbie forum were moved to the new Getting Started forum. Some of those threads will be relocated to other forums, but they will still be linked to the Getting Started forum for 60 days. Once I am sure that everything has been moved I will close the Newbie forum. I have flipped the software switch that makes the Getting Started forum visible so now everybody should hopefully be able to see the Getting Started forum.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The Newbie forum is now closed. All of the discussion threads that were on page 1 of the Newbie forum are now on page 1 of the Getting Started forum. Some of those threads have been moved to other forums on this site, but links to the new locations of those threads will remain on the Getting Started forum for 60 days.

Back