• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New to Me Unknown Finish

Website
www.simoli.net
While at my monthly turners meeting this weekend a fellow brought in a bowl which had a very smooth finish. It was some type of film coating. The name on the can had the word ceramic in it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Since I don't really know the people yet I don't have contacts at the club (I'm a new member) so I can't ask anyone at the club. The fellow said he first applied a couple of shelac coats and then several of this ceramic stuff. The finish had a glass look to it and was very smooth.

Jim, if the club is anything like I'm used to call the Prez or your membership person. I'll bet they will put you in touch with the turner that presented the piece. 99.9 % of chapter members are very willing to share their knowledge.

Back