• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New Turner, New Lathe, New Year

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a few days, and turning rather poorly for the past year. After spending far to much time with a crappy lathe that was a decent "starter" but a poor "finisher", I remembered what my grandfather told me years ago: if you find yourself working against the tool instead of with it, replace it.

Via Craigslist, I picked up a Jet 1442 yesterday, and stayed up way too late last night putting it together. Now I'm at the office rubbing-my-hands-in-eagerness, and hoping to finish out the bowls that I started as Christmas presents, but only got 4 of 8 finished.

Many of the posts/reviews/comments here helped me with my decision, much thanks to everyone who (unknowingly) helped out.

Expect many silly questions from me over the next year. :)

Best,

-Peter

Here! Here! For Silliness!!!!!

There's been way too much seriously heavy **** posted on this board recently, so bring on your silly questions, and let's get back to having some fun around here.

[Just don't complain when you get silly answers ;)]

mm

Ditto Cyril,
Welcome Peter, put yer feet up and .... noooo ... actually chuck up a piece of wood and spin a while.:D
Paul

Welcome, Peter, and remember that there ain't no dumb questions.
When you ask a question you may find the responses to be from people who are all on the same page. It really gets to be fun when you get different answers. That's not necessarily because of technical disagreement, more likely it's a product of differing styles or alternative approaches to the same problem. Sometimes it's because one person will interpret your question differently than another.
Just remember that time spent on the forum means time you aren't spending with the lathe (or your mentor) - now let's go make some curls from that spinning piece of wood.;)

You guys forgot to say 'Check out you local AAW Chapter for a mentor!'

You guys have a great day!

Hey Nick,

That would be silly. We need him to stay right here and ask silly questions. Join a club and let them have all the laughs on the newbie's account? No Way!!!

[Psst. . . Pete, you can find a local chapter by clicking on the AAW logo and then looking for the local chapter listings under "community" or telling us where you live (risky) in the hopes that some nice member will look it up for you and not go raid your wood stash. . . ]

My first lathe was a Jet 1442. The only thing that I ultimately found limiting on it was the low end speed. With 450rpm as the slowest speed, very large bowl blanks had to be pretty well balanced. The speed control seemed a little awkward at first to me, but in not time at all I got to the point where I could change speed just as fast on the 1442 as I can on my 3520.

When I got my new lathe, I kept the 1442 because it really is a great lathe. I still use it frequently.

One thing you might want to check right away is the set screws on the drive pulleys. Mine loosened up pretty quickly after I bought it. It might be worth just checking them on yours. If you hear the lathe start making a clicking sound from the headstock it is most likely loose pully set screws.

Have fun with the new lathe.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I read about the screws yesterday before I went to look at the lathe. Checked the screws, they're fine.

As for silly questions, I expect silly answers. :) I'll also take grumpy, misguided, odd, and superfluous answers that question what my parents were thinking when they raised me. :D I'm not a big fan of answers that are wrong... just dead wrong. Unless of course they are funny. I post on a number of other unrelated forums, and am very used to forum chatter, so feel free to pick on the noob, I'd be insulted if you didn't.

I'm in San Francisco, have met several members of the Bay Area chapter, bought some koa wood and some cherry from a few of them. (For the record, I'm part Hawaiian and have a penchant for Koa wood, anyone in California looking to lighten their koa stock ping me off-list)

Most of the bowls I'm making are a bit thick, and lacking in form, but they are functional. For family members, that's all they needed - someplace to put their change. I expect the new lathe to help me with that.

Great meeting you all, looking forward to learning how to be better at this.

Aloha,

-Peter

New Lathe

Peter,
Buying a decent lathe is the first step to truly enjoying turning. I've had several and I agree that you shouldn't have to fight the tool. Also, I concur with some of the other statements: find a local club and participate. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can learn with a little help from others. And last, but not least, jump in here and ask away! You will not find anyone here who will not help if they can.
KurtB:D

Website
texaswoodshavings.com
New lathe.

Being new myself, I have only turned for about a year and a half. Join a club, most have video to check out. And if you can find someone to mentor you that is even better.

Also sharpen, sharpen and sharpen. Nothing cuts better than a sharp tool.

Kurt Killjoy

You will not find anyone here who will not help if they can.
KurtB:D

Aw geez, Kurt. You mean we can't give him slightly off info just to watch him struggle a bit? Now yer takin' all the fun out of playing "New Kid.":p

Born and raised in SF and lived most of my adult life in the Bay Area and Sonoma. Here I sit in Kona, Hawaii for the past 6 years.

May I suggest you check out smartflix.com. They have an extensive library of turning videos. The most helpful for me were the David Ellsworth and Jimmie Clewes series. Great for learning the basic cuts and entertaining to boot.

As far as Koa is concerned. Its getting tough to find at a reasonable price. However, if you are headed for the Sacramento area (Davis) anytime soon, my son dropped a huge black walnut about four years ago and the pieces are still in his yard. All in good condition. The price will be more than fair. I cut a couple of burls for myself at Christmas and they are on the way to me via snail mail. As you know, parcel post takes 8 to 12 weeks to find its way to Hawaii.

Welcome to the world of woodturning.

Thanks Ed, I read about the screws yesterday before I went to look at the lathe. Checked the screws, they're fine.

As for silly questions, I expect silly answers. :) I'll also take grumpy, misguided, odd, and superfluous answers that question what my parents were thinking when they raised me. :D I'm not a big fan of answers that are wrong... just dead wrong. Unless of course they are funny. I post on a number of other unrelated forums, and am very used to forum chatter, so feel free to pick on the noob, I'd be insulted if you didn't.

I'm in San Francisco, have met several members of the Bay Area chapter, bought some koa wood and some cherry from a few of them. (For the record, I'm part Hawaiian and have a penchant for Koa wood, anyone in California looking to lighten their koa stock ping me off-list)

Most of the bowls I'm making are a bit thick, and lacking in form, but they are functional. For family members, that's all they needed - someplace to put their change. I expect the new lathe to help me with that.

Great meeting you all, looking forward to learning how to be better at this.

Aloha,

-Peter

Back