• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

new/upgrade full-size lathe

Congratulations! I have the same lathe Ted. I convinced my wife to accompany me to the Raleigh NC symposium 2019...and she saw my drooling on the one Brent brought as the display. She then proceeded to wrangle it away from Brent while I was in one of the 4 John Jordan's demonstrations I sat in :D...And then just before the symposium broke down - she told me to go pick it up. Still amazed I got that lucky - twice...( the wife AND the other American Beauty...;) ). And - like Emiliano mentioned, the the gas shock tilt away will spoil you - as will the stainless ways/bed that never rust while you are turning green wood. The support, the warranty, and the likelihood that you will never need the warranty are all big pluses to me. Yes, I may want another lathe in the stable. In addition to the Robust, not to replace it. But not to "up-grade" - I can't imagine out-growing it's capabilities.. Just because I am a tool junky.

They didn't have the gas shock when I got my AB. Don't know if I will ever upgrade to it. Still strong enough to armstrong it.... Still think all big lathes should have 3 speed ranges instead of 2.

robo hippy

Congratulations on your new lathe, I still remember how nervous I was when I ordered it and wrote the check, and how excited I was when my AB arrived. Would love to see a picture of it when you get it situated in your shop. Happy turning!!

Back