• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oliver Moss

Hello All,

It's taken my a little bit to get the time to sit down and write a hello, but I'm glad to do it now.

I'm a Greenwood Worker who up until very recently turned exclusively on a pole lathe. I started traditional greenwood working about ten years ago, carved spoons and bowls for a few years, and then discovered the pole lathe and was totally home. I have turned and taught pole lathe turning for the last eight or so years. I've supplemented my income with this type of turning, as well as other traditional woodworking, for a long time now and also spent six years working with Lie-Nielsen Toolworks running their customer service department until about a year ago. Woodworking and turning has been my main focus for almost ten years at this point.

I've started to experience some physical issues that have made long hours of turning on a pole lathe more and more taxing on my body so I recently picked up a used Oneway 1224 that has allowed me to continue to production turn without the physical stress on my body.

I grew up surrounded by turned vessels and bowls made by my uncle who is a turner. His name is Phil Pratt if anyone remembers him from his turning and video work with the AAW. He has been a great resource in my transition to the power lathe.

I'm really enjoying learning to translate my work to the power lathe and to gouges rather than the pole lathe hook tools I'm used to, and I'm thankful to have these forums as a resource.

Attached are some photos of my work from my pole lathe, and a photo from last summer when I was teaching down in NC and got to work with Roy Underhill on turning bowls on a pole lathe rather than spindles. I was surprised that he had never turned a bowl on a pole lathe, but unsurprisingly he picked it up quickly.

Attachments

• IMG-4954.JPG
    IMG-4954.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-4970.JPG
    IMG-4970.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-2809.PNG
    IMG-2809.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG-4987.jpg
    IMG-4987.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 36

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi from Chattanooga! I enjoyed reading your intro post. I’ve never turned on a pole lathe, but it seems like it would be a satisfying thing to build and use. Good stuff! Also, I love that purple piece you posted. The wood movement and color is very nice. Cheers!

Hi from Chattanooga! I enjoyed reading your intro post. I’ve never turned on a pole lathe, but it seems like it would be a satisfying thing to build and use. Good stuff! Also, I love that purple piece you posted. The wood movement and color is very nice. Cheers!

Thanks Michael. Turing on a pole lathe is really something else, and certainly one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but totally worth it.

Howdy and Welcome from Texas!

Welcome to the forum. Several in our club have talked about building a pole lathe but it just never gets a head of steam.

Thanks Gerald. The pole lathe is a pretty simple machine, being about 5,000 years old or so as a design. If you get up to it and ever have any questions please feel free to reach out, I've helped a lot of folks build lathes and taught a ton of folks to turn on them and I'd be happy to help.

Back