• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

one more Nova DVR XP question

To All,

Since this looks like it will be the lathe choice for me I do have one more question.

Does anyone know how many AMPs this lathe will pull?

I have the chance to run a dedicated circuit for this in my garage and want to do it right.

I plan on using the new circuit, thinking 20 AMP, for the lathe and the existing circuit for my dust collector.

Thanks!

Gerry

DVR XP Load

Should be listed in the electrical section of the user's manual or on the plate riveted on the motor. You can call your local electrician and they will probably suggest going 2 or 2.5 times that amperage to cover the peak draw.

My manual indicates that the motor uses 1300 watts on a 115v circuit. I'm not an electrician, but as a rule of thumb, I understand that a 20amp circuit can comfortably handle 2000 watts, but not much more. By that logic, you'd be OK with even only 13 amps available.

If you are going to run a dedicated line, however, why not make it a 20amp 220v line? I switched my DVR over to 220v (it takes 1 minute to remove the jumper and a few more minutes to replace the 110v plug with the appropriate 220v plug). At 220v, the draw will be half as much, so 7 amps would be sufficient. That leaves you an additional 13 amps if you ever want to upgrade to a 220v dust collector. I have my DVR and a 2HP Gorilla cyclone on the same 220v circuit and have never had any problems when both are running together (usually when I am sanding).

Hope this helps.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Lars Stole said:
I have my DVR and a 2HP Gorilla cyclone on the same 220v circuit and have never had any problems when both are running together (usually when I am sanding).
Your running multiple 220V machines off the same circuit at once? I am guessing you are running the plugs in series? (Didn't know you could do that.)

Steve,

The outlets have to be in parallel. Basically Kirchoff's voltage law states: If the were in series the voltage would drop across the load and current would be the same. In a parallel circuit the voltage stays the same and current is dependant on the load. Hope this helps with the confusion.

Jeff

I have mine on a 20amp dedicated circuit and it works great - don't forget to get a surge protector to protect the electronics in the lathe.

jeffnreno said:
I have mine on a 20amp dedicated circuit and it works great - don't forget to get a surge protector to protect the electronics in the lathe.

The best protection is to unplug the machine when not in use. A surge protector would help when the machine is in use.

surge protection

That is correct. When the unit is unplugged there is no risk of a surge. :D But we must assume the he wants to turn on the lathe and use it. In the manual it states that you should use a surge protector to protect the electronics of the lathe. This is the only tool in my shop that has surge protection and it is the only tool in my shop that the manual discusses and recomends surge protection.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
jumper60954 said:
The outlets have to be in parallel.
That's what I was getting at. I don't know of any 220 where you run the wire into an outlet then out to another (as with 110V).

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Steve Worcester said:
That's what I was getting at. I don't know of any 220 where you run the wire into an outlet then out to another (as with 110V).

There is nothing I can recall (in the NEC) to prevent it, nor is there any technical reason you can't. Of course 220 outlets are not designed (unlike some 110) to be connected together, so you have to make up a junction in the box and bring a wire to the outlet and another wire on to the next box.

Back