• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Oneway Drill Wizard Attachments

I purchased a used Oneway Drill Wizard to play around with some different attachments to use with the tool. This tool has been around for a number of years now, has anyone used it for other purposes besides holding a drill for drilling holes? I see that several turners have made several different attachments for other applications.
Cutting rings for bowls from a flat board. (Ringmaster style cutter)
Cutting decorative designs in a work piece with router and bits.
Drilling holes at different angles into the work piece.

I've been using the Drill Wizard since it first came out many years ago for decorating yo-yos, spin-tops, boxes and other things. Great tool to precisely drill holes for rhinestone and cabochon setting:
reverb_4c_std.jpg

c97e2e2f9475e644a366c9288ab73df3.jpg

2016_45b_std.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful pieces Ed!

With a locking collar on the Drill Wizard tool post you can set the platform or the tool holder at the lathe centers. Like many other tools designed for lathes you could turn the platform into a sphere jig, threading jig, cutting tool holder, coring tool, hollowing tool etc. etc. The platform is kind of like a poor mans cross slide on a metal lathe. I would also like to adapt an AXA tool holder post onto the platform which allows a large number of tool style AXA holders to be quickly mounted to the platform. I might just machine a simple metal dovetail profile and secure it to the side of the Drill Wizard this would allow a quick mount of the AXA style tool holders. A Morse Taper socket on the Drill Wizard clamp would also be a quick mount system for various tools to be used on the platform.

As Mike suggests these type tools have almost unlimited uses. Based on the price of $119 I have to assume this one isn't a particularly rigid unit with a long feed stroke, but the concept is there.

Back in a former life I had automatic wood lathes with devices like this called end working slides. On the older machines the feed was by a rotating cam. Machines could have multiple slides, front, back and above the work piece all operating simultaneously. Properly setup with a guide templates they could do non-straight outer contours and likewise even interior hollowing. A very big advantage of this type setup for hand turners is being able to use high positive carbide inserts (the ones that have too much tendency to self feed and dig in and catch using them by hand).

Doug, you know what “assume” means. I’ll say it is an exceptional value for the price. Every accessory I have bought from One Way has been top notch including the drill wizard. The only thing I didn’t like was the stop collar. It was too small IMO and didn’t fit well. A trip to Tractor Supply fixed that. I have used mine for drilling shallow holes and indexing and filling with brass powder in small lidded boxes. A turner in our club also fluted a small lidded box, but don’t know what cutter/drill he used. I’ve made a lot of the miniature birdhouse ornaments and drilling the perch and entry hole on a drill press was difficult due to shape. I even ruined a few on the drill press. It is never a problem with the drill wizard.

One of the applications that I intend to use the Drill Wizard on is trimming the inside diameter on large diameter segmented pieces. On larger projects I glue each successive ring onto the project and smooth the outside diameter of the piece to the desired profile. If I use a parting tool from the face side of the segment ring I can usually trim the inner diameter to the thickness and profile desired which reduces the amount of interior cleanup required on the hollow vessel. This is a slow and steady process letting the tool cut its way into the segment ring and not getting in a hurry to cause a harmonic feedback and generate excessive vibrations. With a parting tool mounted on the Drill Wizard I can set the angle of the cut and lightly push on the feed handle to advance the cutter into the wood at a steady rate. When parting from the face side of the segment ring on large pieces I don't have to set up a steady rest until I get a fair number of segment rings stacked up on the piece. The parting tool cutting its way into the piece tends to steady the piece and mitigates the harmonic vibrations while removing the bulk of the interior angled surface of the segment ring. This would be similar to the "Ringmaster" cutting at different desired angles.

I did a test run with a 1/4" router bit and power tool that was the right size to fit in the Drill Wizard, I need to mount a couple of tension springs on the metal shaft guides and the tool will work fine for trimming the inside surface on segment rings on a large diameter piece I am working on. Slowly plunge the router bit into the piece and slowly turn the work piece by hand and you end up with a pretty clean cut that you can start sanding on or make a finish cut with sharp lathe tool.

Drill Wizard Drill.jpg Drill Wizard Drill 1.jpg

Back