• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

oneway tool rest questions.

hello,

just wanted to say hello, its my first post here and i am just getting going in turning again after a 16 year lay off.. my question to you all here has to do with bowl tool rest questions..

i have the jet mini jml 1014 (not the vs ).. and i want to begin turning small bowls until i feel confident enough to find a larger lathe and take on the larger bowls that i see so frequently on line..

my question being .. will the oneway curved tool rests fit my jet.. or am i thinking of overkill? i figure i am going to make a big investment eventually why not buy them now..

besides them fitting, do i really need one like that.. or are there others i should consider first?

i will say thanks in advance.. and that i am awestruck by some of the fantastic turnings i see here..

thanks again
crash

I purchased a curved tool rest a couple of years ago and find I never use it, even when turning relatively large diameter (12 inches+) and deep bowls (4 inches+).

For hollowing, I use a combination of gouges and heavy scrapers. For outside curves (which I thought the curved rest might also be handy), I manage with a gouge and straight rest.

But that's just me... Come to think of it, I don't remember anyone using a curved rest in any of the bowl turning demos I have attended nor in any of the videos I have seen.

I am sure there are proponents and no doubt there are special circumstances that may warrant the use of a curved rest, but I would trade mine for a good scraper if there were any takers.

Bob Hadley

Crash:
I've been turning small bowls on my Jet Mini for a couple of years using only the stock tool rest and it seems to work fine. If the bowl gets deep I just turn one end of the rest into the bowl. Largest bowl I've turned this way is about 8" dia. Used a 3/8" bowl gouge and heavy round scraper.
Jerry

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
crashfromboston said:
hello,

i have the jet mini jml 1014 ..

my question being .. will the oneway curved tool rests fit my jet..
Welcome Mr. Crash!
To answer your origonal question, no, it will not fit. The Jet mini has a 5/8" diameter post and the smallest post that Oneway makes is 3/4".
There are many fine products out there that are available to fit the mini though. Perhaps a modular like best wood tools and others make would work for you. You could buy them with a 5/8" post now and buy new posts when you get a new lathe.

thanks for the advice

i could not remember the size of the tool post on my lathe.. (strange huh?)

its sitting in the basement of my new house.. and i am stuck at my in laws..

with a fractured hip.. (another story for another day)

but i will look into some good gouges and scrapers i spoke to pete teubel (i

hope thats spelled right at my local wood craft, and plan on taking several

classes first of which is proper sharpening for turning.. then i'll work my way

thru the various classes.. i am lucky that my spouse is all for me doing wood

working.. (mainly because i promised i'd make her something.. "someday")

also having the wood craft 10 minutes away helps as well.

thanks for the advice and i'll be here lurking in the shadows trying to

learn as much as i can

crash

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Crash
I use the Bestwoodtools adustable bowl rest on my Nova Comet mini lathe. They also have non adjustable bowl rests and since you can change the tool post it will fit any lathe you want. www.bestwoodtools.com

Back