• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Open House

Has anyone hosted an open house in their home as a sales tool? I am in the planning stages and am hoping for tips and ideas. I'd like to hear (read? :p ) about both positive and negative experiences. Thank you for your help.

Website
www.zionfire.com
I wonder if it would not be better in a gallery somewhere. Or something other than home, at any rate. LOTS of prep, LOTS of security issues, LOTS of clean up, LOTS of parking issues (potentially), LOTS of directions issues.

If you're in a professional space (gallery), the issues are less problematic. Plus the gallery owner gets exposure.

Multiple vendor shows are a possibility, too. That way, you don't have to have hundreds of pieces. Costs are split amongst many, advertising is among many, wider audience possible, too.

Homes are generally not conducive to good placement of your stuff, lighting is usually not optimum.

Plus, if you're married, how does your wife feel about it. Read the idea to mine and she bared her teeth and hissed! Guess I know how SHE feels. :rolleyes:

Leslie may be on to something. I picture a Tuperware party. We all have freinds that say they want something to use as a gift or even personal use. We say call, or stop out to the house, but they never do. Why not have a little party to display work before the holidays, maybe include a little demo as part of the program. Send out invites, put out some cookies and you got a party. Not a bad idea.

Frank

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I do know of a local painter that has a show at his house every year, more of a an informal party type of thing. He invites selected clients, say 20, and has wine and horsdeorves. It works well for him.

There are a number of artists in this area who organize a "Studio Tour" once in a while, usually in Fall or Spring. Several painters, a potter or two, a turner, a furnituremaker, and a couple of other crafters essentially open their homes to interested people. They draw up a detailed map with directions to each locality, and serve refreshments at each "stop." Impression was that with a little publicity they did fairly well. You might consider doing something like that with others in your area.

Website
www.zionfire.com
One of our KC turners was involved in a gallery show earlier this year. During the spring and early summer months, KC has what I think are called First Friday Gallery Walks. In the area of town just south of downtown, there are lots of small commercial/industrial buildings that have been taken over by the trendy, campy little businesses that have exploded in most such districts around the country.

He turns full time and does so with gusto. He's prolific to say the least. So he had plenty of pieces of all sizes to display.

A thought: Could a chapter (or a couple of chapters in a metro area) join the works of its members to create an open house? Common area, common goal, good advertisement, easier on each one's wallet? Certainly a good educational project. Certainly one to show off the creative forces in the community. It could be done in conjunction with any number of community type events, with a museum's exhibit of local artists, with a commercial or industrial "fair" type event.

Maybe this should be pursued on the President's Forum... Good to brainstorm through such things. Never know when a good plan might come out. :)

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Our little town, Volcano, is rather an artsy town. As Mark Mandell describes, the artists in town hold an artists weekend each year in which they all open their "studios" for a weekend and make an event out of it. They usually do it in the late fall so it coincides with the Christmas gift buying season. As Mark described, they each have cookies and beverages, maps are provided, and I think a prize drawing is even held for those who get their maps stamped at each location. It has become a much anticipated event in Volcano and folks come from all around to attend. Its fun too. Most of the time their Studios are not open to the public.

Those artists that do not have "studios" suitable for this sometimes work with a neighbor and use their garage or big lanai, or in some cases they use their house, prepping it for the event first of course since there will be a ton of strangers going through.

The earlier idea of a select list of invites is also appealing for the control it gives you over who will be in your house and when.

Hope this works well for you! Let us know how it goes!

Dave

I was thinking along the lines of an open house by invitation only. You are right about the folks who say, "Oh yeah! I want that." and you never hear from them again. LOML is all for it and is currently planning displays, food, and lighting. (Ya gotta love it ;) ) So far I have a list of about 30-40 potential customers on the list and hope to send out about 50 invitations I'd expect half or less than that to actually show up. I'm thinking about the Saturday after Thanksgiving weekend (not the actual Thanksgiving weekend) because folks will be back from traveling and in the mood to shop. I hope to have a wide variety of items from small to larger stuff with prices for all pocket books. I'll post as I go along, your idea about the local club banding together sounds like a very good suggestion. Many thanks for the input.

Glad to see someone else going to do this, We have done the open house and are on the 4th annual fall show. It has taken some time to build up a client base and it is slowly growing every year.

When we decided to do this we wanted variety as well. So we went to several art and craft shows looking for quality work. We found a variety of artists and have many that have been with us for the 4 years running, I am the lucky and only turner.

The variety gives much more options for your potential clients, Yes you invite the ones who say they love your work and have them bring a friend as well.

Other places are schools, churches, local businesses, etc to put up flyers for the show. Be sure if you have other participants that they agree to provide potential clients as well.

Be sure to select a catchy name for your show that will get the attention of the people. We have an open house for the invited guests. It is for an afternoon and evening. This works well and gives the invited guests first choice!!!! and makes them feel special.

We open the house to the public for the final day and a half. This has also worked well, not many thefts we have only lost 1 or 2 small items ugh.

Be sure to have a guest registry so that you have contacts for the next year when you decide to do this again, if you decide to do this again. Ask for help do not be shy, you may have alot going on and if you are the artist you need to talk with the clients, you can not be busy running the cash register. You are there to promote interest in your art.

I am fortunate to have a very supportive wife and she is very good with running the show and displaying all of the items. The way that things are displayed is very important, you want them to stand out. Down side, our house is basically non functional as a house during this time but it is worth it.

Time to have the show, Watch when there are alot of open house type shows going on in your area, the local craft shows and art shows for the holiday season. They kick off pretty early in our area and October seems to be the best for us. This will have the most traffic out and about if you use the public, besides you want to have your items to be first on the list.

I am sure that I have not covered everything and I do hope that I have not discouraged you, It is a very fun time and you get to see a house full of friends and future friends.

Brian

Back