• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Opinions on Spiracraft? Also any one have experience with the Nova Nebula?

Apologies in advance if this is posted in the wrong spot. I'm new to the forum. I've been using a Nova 1624 (belt model, not DVR) for 15-20 years now, and have never had a problem with it. I am feeling about ready to upgrade to variable speed, a little more hp, and a heavier machine. So, I've been narrowing down options in the price range I'm willing to spend. I'm feeling like the new Nova Nebula has everything I want, including a sliding headstock and wired remote/controls. They're not available for preorder many places yet, but one I've found is Spiracraft. They seem to be pretty well established in the woodturning community, but I have never heard of them.

I would love any input from folks who have experience with either Spiracraft or the Nebula lathe. Just wanting extra opinions before spending a big chunk of change. Thanks in advance, and again just let me know if this should be posted elsewhere.

I'm not familiar with Spiracraft, but CPO, Acme and Tyler Tool all look to be able to put one in the cart. (i didn't try). I've bought from all three of those with no issues, but no large machines. Acme or Tyler estimated 5-6 week delivery, Rockler estimated late May (and adds deliver fee). Seems like the Nebula has been in the pipeline for a long time.
I really appreciate my cabled remote control on the Robust Sweet 16. Also have a Rikon 70-220VSR with the controls at the right end. Wouldn't be comfortable going back to headstock mounted controls.
earl

After 10 years with a 1624 which I recently converted to a DVR, I looked long and hard at videos of the Nebula. When they announced a free multi year extended warranty, I almost pulled the trigger.

Because California requires companies who offer extended warrantees to prove solvency (mainly aimed at extended warrantees for cars), Teknatool excludes California from its warranty coverage.

The law actually regulates the sale of warrantees by companies that can’t/won’t demonstrate that they will be around to service the warranty. Neither the Insurance Commissioner nor Dept of Consumer Affairs stated an interest in companies who “give” an extended warranty to a buyer for free, but Teknatool just does not offer the warranty to anyone in California or Washington, DC.

Long story short, I ordered a Stubby.

Follow-up thought--much of my shopping is done online, just in general--especially for turning stuff since we're 90 minutes drive minimum from any real dealers. That said, in the case of a large purchase that the dealer's prices are set--there may be the ability to negotiate some "extras" from a local brick & mortar store even though they can't discount the tool. Might be worth a local look.
earl

Follow-up thought--much of my shopping is done online, just in general--especially for turning stuff since we're 90 minutes drive minimum from any real dealers. That said, in the case of a large purchase that the dealer's prices are set--there may be the ability to negotiate some "extras" from a local brick & mortar store even though they can't discount the tool. Might be worth a local look.
earl
That’s a good thought—I was kind of going there myself. We have a Woodcraft in town. They don’t carry the Nebula, but they had a Laguna Revo 18/36 that caught my eye as well. I’m thinking a trip to Woodcraft might be in the works today!

Wiley E. Coyote has endorsed ACME for many decades, the only complaint I have with the Nova Nebula is the built in motor design in the headstock. Any other machine with a separate motor you can easily replace with another motor when the factory one goes bad. When Nova finally obsoletes that design you will be paying top dollar to repair or replace the factory motor, when that day comes.

Wiley E. Coyote has endorsed ACME for many decades, the only complaint I have with the Nova Nebula is the built in motor design in the headstock. Any other machine with a separate motor you can easily replace with another motor when the factory one goes bad. When Nova finally obsoletes that design you will be paying top dollar to repair or replace the factory motor, when that day comes.
That is also a good point about the DVR.

@John Erickson , I see you live in Louisville. If you're going to the symposium Nova will probably be there, either directly or as part of a dealer's display. I expect to get all my questions answered about the Nebula (and the Galaxi and Orion). (Now if we could only get a vendor to show up with a Vicmarc VL240).

I'm also coming from a 1624, but with the DVR. With a possible house move on the horizon I'm also considering a lathe upgrade.

Edit: I have purchased some small items from Spiracraft a few years ago when they were a vendor at a local woodworking show.

Last edited:
No experience with Spiracraft, and no experience with the Nebula, but I’ve had a Galaxi for just over 5 yrs. The main driver of my decision to get the Galaxi was the pivot HS and outrigger tool rest, both of which work quite well. I viewed the DVR motor as a bit of a novelty and not high on my list. The DVR motor has impressed me and is near the top of the list now. I've only ran it at 120v, and compared to 120V VFD driven lathes, the DVR kicks their ass in lower speed torque. I can core bowls easily and bury a long wing 5/8" bowl gouge, both of which will stall a vfd drive in a hurry. I don't know how it compares to larger hp 230v vfd's - I've tried to find hp/tq vs rpm curves for both to no avail.

The speed presets and dial adjustment are a big improvement over a potentiometer - quickly get to the speed range desired and then fine tune the speed with high resolution. From a reliability perspective, there is the prospect of Nova not supporting the drive in the future, though history demonstrates Nova supports the drive for a long time. They have had success with the DVR drive so I expect support to continue, but.....a vfd drive is still going to be better supported because you will always be able to find a replacement vfd of some sort (provided you can figure out the parameters).

The other aspects of the lathe are comparable to other brands in the price range, with the exception of the outrigger. It's pretty unique in capabilities vs additional footprint. From your comments this capability may not be important to you. I've looked but can't find the outrigger for the Nebula. I think it may be a bed extension mounted lower on the lathe legs.

It really depends on what is important to you. If the pivot HS and outrigger is not high on your list, a lathe with a traditional vfd drive might be a better choice, as you can get a big enough hp motor that does have enough low end torque - unfortunately I can't tell you how big it needs to be since I have not been able to find tq curve charts to compare. I have not asked Nova directly, they may provide the info for the DVR.

@Doug Freeman Thanks for the reply. That's interesting to hear about the DVR and low speed torque. My top two must-haves are variable speed and a sliding headstock. I want to be able to turn from the end of the bed for hollowing. Right now I'm narrowed down to the Nebula and the Laguna Revo 1836. The outboard turning is cool, but I really don't think I'll need to go beyond 18" in diameter, based on the last 15-20 years of this hobby.

@Doug Freeman Thanks for the reply. That's interesting to hear about the DVR and low speed torque. My top two must-haves are variable speed and a sliding headstock. I want to be able to turn from the end of the bed for hollowing. Right now I'm narrowed down to the Nebula and the Laguna Revo 1836. The outboard turning is cool, but I really don't think I'll need to go beyond 18" in diameter, based on the last 15-20 years of this hobby.
I think you are missing a few of the best attributes of the outrigger with pivot HS - its not for just larger dia work. I dont do much work outside the 16” swing of the Galaxi, but I use the the heck out of the pivot HS and outrigger:

Bowls (any size)- no need to remove and then replace the TS and then slide the HS down. Small bowls just pivot the HS out a few degrees and slide the banjo out. For bowls bigger than ~6-7 inches, the banjo doesnt some out far enough, for me anyway, so the HS is swung ~ 120 deg and the outrigger is used.

HF’s - pivot the work out ~10-15 deg, or around 120 deg, full access from right or left, no bed in the way, no TS to remove and replace.

Sanding/finishing - pivot the HS out 90 deg, full access for sanding/finishing, no dripping finish on the lathe bed.

The only time I need to remove the TS is when I use my hollowing rig.

Edit: I forgot one - when work is large enough to block the banjo from passing under it, and you have to get back there, on other lathes the work has to come off (handling a large and possibly heavy piece) twice - 1st to move the banjo to the HS, and again to move the banjo back. With a pivot HS, just pivot the HS away from you, move the banjo, swing the HS back, do the work, swing out again, move the banjo, swing the HS back, lock it, turn.

Last thing - the Galaxi will turn work just as big and heavy as any other 16" swing lathe. Many believe a pivot HS doesn't have the structural integrity of sliding HS. I haven't done the calculations (I have the engineering knowledge to do so) but I have turned several pieces over 20" long at max swing capacity, and hollowed them out - proof enough for me that the design is sufficient. Too many folks think their experience with the older design pivot HS's that were a bit flimsy (I had a harbor freight version, so I'm well experienced with them) is relevant in analyzing Nova's later designs. It isn't.

Last edited:
As far as the DVR motor I have a Nova DVR 3000 and have had it for about 22 years, still running like the day I bought it and I have been able to get all the updates for it. With that in mind Nova has a new lathe coming out, the Nova Neptune. A 15" 1.5 HP DVR motored midi lathe with a 10 year warranty on the motor and 5 years on electronics (also capable of using 220volts if so it would increase HP like my DVR). Also has many additions you can add to it. When I saw this it was all of about 10 seconds before I order one. Free shipping hopefully mid April. Obviously not worried about the motor :)

As far as the DVR motor I have a Nova DVR 3000 and have had it for about 22 years, still running like the day I bought it and I have been able to get all the updates for it. With that in mind Nova has a new lathe coming out, the Nova Neptune. A 15" 1.5 HP DVR motored midi lathe with a 10 year warranty on the motor and 5 years on electronics (also capable of using 220volts if so it would increase HP like my DVR). Also has many additions you can add to it. When I saw this it was all of about 10 seconds before I order one. Free shipping hopefully mid April. Obviously not worried about the motor :)
Thanks for the reply, Bill! May I ask where you ordered it from?

Spiracraft owner, Bradley McAllister, does weekly demos on YouTube (maybe Facebook also). He demostrates various turning techniques and recently he acquired a Nova Nebula, assembled it, and put it into service in his weekly demos for the last 2 months. These videos show at least some of the lathe's capabilities. I have bought turning supplies/accessories from Spiracraft; nothing big though. Bradley has always been responsive to questions and knowledgeable about turning.

Spiracraft owner, Bradley McAllister, does weekly demos on YouTube (maybe Facebook also). He demostrates various turning techniques and recently he acquired a Nova Nebula, assembled it, and put it into service in his weekly demos for the last 2 months. These videos show at least some of the lathe's capabilities. I have bought turning supplies/accessories from Spiracraft; nothing big though. Bradley has always been responsive to questions and knowledgeable about turning.
Thanks, Randy! Good to hear.

@John Erickson , I see you live in Louisville. If you're going to the symposium Nova will probably be there, either directly or as part of a dealer's display. I expect to get all my questions answered about the Nebula (and the Galaxi and Orion). (Now if we could only get a vendor to show up with a Vicmarc VL240).

I'm also coming from a 1624, but with the DVR. With a possible house move on the horizon I'm also considering a lathe upgrade.

Edit: I have purchased some small items from Spiracraft a few years ago when they were a vendor at a local woodworking show.
I was chatting with Ken (Branches to Bowls) yesterday. I think he said he was planning be there at the symposium with a vl240.
G

Back