• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Outboard turning on a Laguna Revo 1216

I'm struggling when outboard turning on my lathe. On the online videos I see, folks are turning with the lathe motor running in a forward "normal" direction. Of course, this means that the faceplate tends to unscrew from the spindle, and on my lathe this is resisted by a couple of small allen head setscrews. These don't hold securely enough, and the unscrewing motion drives the setscrews into the threads on the spindle and buggers them up. How should I do this? Should I be running the motor in reverse and standing on the other side of the lathe?

Older lathes did not have reverse turning motors, so these had RH thread on the inboard of the spindle and LH thread on the outboard side, and so if turning outboard you would stand on the outside right/backside, that way you turn just like on the inboard with the wood turning in normal clock like direction.

If you do not have LH thread on the outboard side you will need to run the motor in reverse, so your chuck and faceplate etc. do not unscrew.

So if you stand on the outboard side it is like turning on the inboard side with the wood rotating down towards you.

Outboard setup.jpg Turning Sycamore wood.jpg

Last edited:
Website
adamcottrill.ca
A small piece of 14 ga copper wire placed in the set screws holes before inserting the set screws will help hold the face plate in place. The copper is soft and will deform around the threads but won't bugger them up. I typically fold the wire back on itself and then nip off the bend to form a small disk-like shape that will fit inside the hole. A 6" scrap of 14/2 romex will provide enough copper to make disks like this for a long, long time. You can buy set screws with soft tips for this very purpose, but I have never found the need.

Hey David, I have the 1216 and I've been where you are. Check to make sure your spindle adapter seats all the down the spindle. The one that came with my outboard kit from Laguna doesn't and I ended up replacing it. If the adapter is not seated all the way the set screws will mess up the threads. I had good luck using the laguna faceplate on the outboard spindle and it locked in place just fine.
Be careful of the bearing ring after you remove the handle on the outboard side of the spindle, the handle holds that bearing ring in place. Don't run your lathe without that handle or adapter in place.

Back