• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Photo Gallery Comments - What's the deal?!?

Website
www.chakajo.com
I've found that the ratio of photos to comments here at the AAW Gallery is fairly pathetic in comparison to the other two big woodturning sites.

For example, Mike Neitzel's Carob HF - which has had over two weeks as POD (not complaining, just saying it's had plenty of exposure) - has ONE comment, and it's mine. It doesn't even have a "congrats you got pic of the day" comment.

I think this issue causes another problem (which the numbers back up) in that people are less likely to post at all if they don't think they'll receive any comments. I know that's true for me anyway. That's why I only post the best of my work over here, and still get very few comments, if any.

It really is a shame considering this place has the most advanced and user friendly gallery software.

I have been pretty apprehensive about commenting as well, but it is mostly because, well, who am I to say anything if none of these other amazing turners do? Is that part of our problem?

The numbers:
AAW:
Galleries - 372
Photos - 3,920
Comments - 4,411
Views - 3,311,482

Woodturner's Resource:
Galleries- 180
Photos - 4,363
Comments - 15,225
Views - 2,345,485

World of Woodturners:
Galleries - 840~
Photos - 20,280~
Comments - ??, but seems to be the highest Photo:Comment ratio
Views - ??

So, any thoughts?

Hey, if it's backslapping you want, say so. If it's just a chance to show something you're proud of, put it up and count views. Have to admit the verbage, "rate this photo" may be a bit misleading. It's not the photography, but the work I'm looking at.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I look at the photos here but seldom comment. I think it just doesn't feel as user friendly for some reason. Woodcentral has the photos posted with the post and it's very easy for everyone to immediately see the image and say what they think or have discussions. This all happens immediately.
On Wow you have sort of thesame thing in that you can open a bunch of photos and then look at the ones you want to see and the comments made.
I really don't know why I don't do that as much here. Some of the same photos appear. I glance at the gallery but rarely open it to see what people say.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I look at the photos but rarely comment. Why, don't know, just don't. Maybe because i think most people aren't looking to have their work critiqued, but just want to show the latest project they have completed.

I have a feeling that many use the photo gallery as a place to have a place friends and family can easily look at their work and don't intend on having comments posted.

As for the POD, it's broke, we put in the service request to fix it and are waiting for it to be completed. It is pulling the photos out of the old database.

I see many of the same pieces on WoW but there they get constructive critiques in addition to a pat on the back. There are times I had questions rather than 'attaboys but hesitate because the gallery doesn't seem to be used that way. I'm not experienced enough or lack the eye to make comments about form or design. I'll wager I'm not alone in this thinking.

gallery

i guess i just can not help myself, if i see something i really like i usually comment, i have no real training to critique anything and sometime feel i comment too much:cool2:, i do post less often on some other boards that have many more comments from others, i guess i see more i like here:D

Some of us (speaking for myself, actually) would like to post pictures in the gallery and on this forum, but presently lack the resources (decent camera and photo setup) to do so, and chose not to post crappy pictures of work that deserves better (he said egotistically).

If you want to post a picture and have fifteen replies that say "Beautiful wood, nice form", or vice-versa, there is another forum for that. It is an excellent forum, but there is a little too much of the aforementioned.

And some of us look at the pictures and say things to ourselves like, "beautiful work and there's how I can improve on that piece I did last month", or "very cool piece and I have some wood I can laminate and it would be fun to try to make something like that", and a dozen more examples. But have no compulsion to write all that and post it.

One last example: I do some segmented work and have made a few decent but scarcely world-beater pieces. From time to time Mr. T. favors us with a picture of a recent work. He knows it is good (by his standards) and I know it is amazing and wonderful by mine. Whaddaya want me to write? "Nice tight joints, good contrast among woods, nice form." I don't think so.

Back