• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 3520b disassembly to move

Well i want to upgrade to the Powermatic 3520b and all set to put the order in But.
The machine weigt is bit over 600 lbs. assembled and once off the truck it has to make it down 4 concret steps and make a 90 deg. turn and thru a opening 30" wide go another 25 ft. then up 1 step and then 16 ft. more to its place of use.

this cannot be done assembled, so i was thinking about removing the headstock, tailstock, banjo and the legs to move it.

So my question is: Would this be a good idea since the lathe was factory assembled and setup and has anyone had any experience with this lathe or the next model up and anyone have this problem and how did you handle it.
Thankyou Roy knapp :( :(

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
roy knapp said:
Well i want to upgrade to the Powermatic 3520b and all set to put the order in But.
The machine weigt is bit over 600 lbs. assembled and once off the truck it has to make it down 4 concret steps and make a 90 deg. turn and thru a opening 30" wide go another 25 ft. then up 1 step and then 16 ft. more to its place of use.

this cannot be done assembled, so i was thinking about removing the headstock, tailstock, banjo and the legs to move it.

So my question is: Would this be a good idea since the lathe was factory assembled and setup and has anyone had any experience with this lathe or the next model up and anyone have this problem and how did you handle it.
It is actually a pretty easy thing to do, BUT DON'T DO IT WITHOUT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! The headstock weighs well over 100 pounds. I lifted it once, and if it had been a piece of wood I would have dropped it for sure. The only reason it DIDN't fall is because I didn't have the money to replace it.

I have moved a 3520A by myself, and wouldn't recommend it.

I took the headstock, tailstock and legs off. I also took the motor off of the headstock. They were all somewhat easy to move but awkward. The ways were the most difficult (heaviest) followed by the headstock (very awkward with the motor attached). I did use a rolling table that was about the height of the ways and that made it easier. After I removed everything off of the ways I rolled the table under the ways and blocked it up a little so the legs didn't touch the floor. Then I disassembled the legs to move it all. You might be able to leave the legs on if you have enough rolling room

If you have one or two helpers it will go much easier than my move and not have to disasemble it as far as I did. I moved my lathe about 600 miles in my pickup but the last 40 feet were the trickiest :)

Clem

Last edited:
roy knapp said:

To answer your question:

It would not be a problem because all of those components and made to move all around on the ways. By moving them off of the ways you are just taking that a step further. Getting them to realign in a matter of sliding them back onto the ways. Just be careful as you slide them off because they are heavy and cumbersome.

And, you have to get the locking mechanism properly between the ways as you slide them back on, but you know that.
Clem

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Roy 1 person can move it in sections but it's really heavy and you can hurt yourself pretty easily. I did read where a gentleman move his down the steps piece by piece. He wrapped it in a big blanket, tied ropes around it very securely and slid it down some boards that he had placed on the steps. That sounds like a good safe way to do it as long as your ropes are secure enough.

I just bought one and two of us set it up in my shop. The crate as sitting on the floor and we disassembled it to basic pieces and then put it togehter. It was a struggle. Three or four would have been nice for about 15 minutes. Assembly is easy. You only need an Allen wrench for the leg bolts. While you have it apart is a good chance to clean the bed ways of the shipping grease. I used WD40 and it can right off. I was surprised to find that it was NOT bolted to the pallet.

You will love it!!

CPeter

Website
www.foreverwindsors.com
I just got my 3520 a week ago. I picked it up at the shippers and brought it home opened the create and toke it off the truck piece by piece no problem. Then I moved it on a dollie to where i wanted it. Then put it together. All told it toke me about two hours and it was done and I was turning the best machine I have ever turned on. It was heavy but, it can be doe and done alone if there is no help to be found.

Dissambly is not a problem. You can even do the same with the P4224. However, you need to disconect some wires. A heavy duty appliance dolly and a packing blanket would be helpful. And the most important thing is several large and strong friends. The ways are too heavy to safely lift by oneself.

Aaron

If you lack strong, young friends (3 or 4 would be good), and many of us do, hire some. If you pay well enough they may become your friends. Please don't ask "older" friends to help lift stuff that is too heavy for them. A small tractor with front loader can also be very helpful. Lacking that, use a medium size tractor.

Back