• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Randy Red Bemont

Hey All, I just joined and wanted to say hey. I'm a long time woodworker and never owned a lathe. But I am looking to change that! I'm here to learn the art (aka addiction) of turning wood. I live in the mountains of NC in a little town called Nebo. Looking to make a lathe purchase sometime in early spring or sooner so I'm doing my homework now so I get the right equipment. Thanks.

Red

If you really want to feed your addiction check out the Woodturning Symposium in January. Info is available at http://tnwoodturners.org/
Then click on Symposium on the left hand column. Especially check out the list of vendors you should be able to get some answers on lathes and other required tools.

Thank you all for the welcome. I will check out the Carolina Mountain Woodturners. There only about a 50 mile drive. Not bad.

Red

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Red.......

Remember that there are the accepted and approved ways of doing things......and, then there are alternative ways! The only thing that's useful for contemplation of the two.....is results!

I'm one of those who always jumps the corral fence and finds my own pastures! If some people knew what I really thought about those "undeniable truths" of woodturning.....it would be thought blasphemous......and, I'd probably be strung up by the nearest tree! :rolleyes:

Welcome also!

ko

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Randy,

You will see great turners at the Carolina club. They all do things differently. What they have in common is that their methods are safe, productive, and reproducible.

I would encourage you to consider taking a week long class at Arrowmont or John C Campbell or someone's studio.
two huge advantages of a class are that you leave with a solid set of skills and you get to use tools and lathes in the class so you know what to shop for.

Once you have a bit of experience I would recommend you consider the Tennessee Symposium.
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e9pqh98r4199cd48&llr=lgmecmkab
The trade show could be worth a visit now....
To get much out the symposium you need a context gained through experience or the demonstrations will bewilder you more than help.
Like most symposiums the Tennessee folks have a lineup that is suitable for beginners to advanced intermediate.
Todd Hoyer is a great example his demos on wood characteristics and vessel orientation are great for all levels. His demo on turning crotches is a high skill level demo that requires advanced tool control that maybe 20% of AAW members possess.

Get a class and practice, practice, practice then consider the AAW symposium in Pittsburgh this June and definitely the AAW symposium in Atlanta in 2016.

Have fun be safe
Al

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hey All, I just joined and wanted to say hey. I'm a long time woodworker and never owned a lathe. But I am looking to change that! I'm here to learn the art (aka addiction) of turning wood. I live in the mountains of NC in a little town called Nebo. Looking to make a lathe purchase sometime in early spring or sooner so I'm doing my homework now so I get the right equipment. Thanks.

Red

Welcome. You will find that you are right in the epicenter of woodturning so you won't have any trouble connecting with other turners.

Back