• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

re questio about pine cone vas in photo section

used material shown in photo poured in top part of plastic water bottle..after hardening ..put in chuck,turned awat bottle and excess epoxy.then hollowed.

Attachments

• 100_0330 (Medium).jpg
    100_0330 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_0336 (Medium).jpg
    100_0336 (Medium).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 100_0339 (Medium) (2).jpg
    100_0339 (Medium) (2).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_0341 (Medium).jpg
    100_0341 (Medium).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 303

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Looks like a bottle stopper in the works to me!! Clever using a bottle as the form for pouring the bottle stopper material. If the pine cone "thingies" -- whatever they are called -- are tearing out a bit, thin CA clue can be used to soak each exposed piece of whatchamacallit to make it turn more like the epoxy/plastic stuff. It looks like there was a tiny bit of fiber tearing. On the other hand, sanding and polishing with Micromesh may be just as good.

Bill

Vacuum

I wonder if putting this into a container after pouring the epoxy and pulling a vacuum to degass would have helped fill any voids. Looks like a great idea for stabilizing the pine cones. I may have to pick a few of the large pine cones off of my longleaf pines and see how they work!

Website
www.zionfire.com
The vacuum might help fill void areas in the cone itself, yes?

If it's just the spaces where the epoxy did not get into the air spaces, could some sort of vibration or bumping on the worktop or floor achieve more complete filling?

If you do the vacuum method to degas, don't forget to turn it off intermittantly to let the liquid refill the reduced pressure voids. Also, use thin epoxy as you'll get foaming from the outgassing that's tougher to get rid of with thicker epoxy.

Dietrich

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
I haven't done this yet, but Pine cones can be used in segmented turning. Split pine cone with bandsaw down the middle put flat surface in a special made tray and pour in your epoxy. Material should be able to be removed from tray in strips. Not sure what to use for a liner, wax, wax paper? I have thousands of pine cones of all sizes so supply is no problem. I have seen the pine cones segments used by a turner with the last name of Carpenter, I forget his first name. GT

robert davis said:
used material shown in photo poured in top part of plastic water bottle..after hardening ..put in chuck,turned awat bottle and excess epoxy.then hollowed.

Back