• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reasons to go to 2017 Symposium

For those of you who went to Atlanta last week, what reasons would you give to an aspiring turner to go to Kansas City next year? Assume said turner isn't looking to fill his/her checked bag with new tools.:) I have one friend who seems skeptical about the value of going. Myself, I'd need to start saving up today.:p

1st.....instant gallery.....plan to go for at least 2 hours the first day.....visit Saturday and sunday
2nd....the worldwide variation of rotations/the American/forgien turners
3rd.....participation....as a volunteer or q & a ......yes u can ask questions
4th......vendor area......do not make any major purchases till u attend national symposium.....look at the size and quality of turnings in gallery, some outstanding turnings can be turned on small lathes

note I was not able to attend Atlanta.....hoping someone will post instant gallery
note u can not see everything or do everything

In addition to what Charle said:
Meet and observe world famous turners and ask them questions, at rotations
Meet more famous turners in the vendor area and observe and ask questions of both them and knowledgeable company reps
Have a good time and go into turning overload.
And you can even ask members of the AAW board questions and give feedback direct.

I had not even considered going to KC til after this weekend. This could be habit forming, especially since we lived in KC for 8 years.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Charlie and Gerald have nailed it.

I always have meeting new freinds and strengthen old friendships at the top of my list.

The intimate critiques in the instant gallery are a great experience-
an accomplished turner will discuss your work with you! answer questions,
give tips and ask you questions.

Each sympsoium is different. Different slate of demonstrators every year.
Just imagine learning from Dixie Biggs, Trent Bosch, Jimmy Clewes, Kurt Hertzog, Michael Hosaluk, Rudolph Lopez, Glenn Lucas, Andrew Potocnik, Tania Radda, Richard Raffan, Mark Sanger, Merryll Saylan, Betty Scarpino, Al Stirt, Derek Weidman, John Wessels, and a dozen more.

Also if you drive or can use public transportation, every city has hotels at half what the close hotels are a short drive from the symposium. If you split the room with another turner or two it gets halved again. Not sure what daily parking is at KC.
In Tampa it was $10 a day and the trolley in downtown used to be free.

Jamie I myself think that the smaller symposiums are better values. SWAT is one of the best and Cincinnati is my favorite. The AAW may have 30 demonstrators but you can only see x amount of rotations, a smaller symposium may only have 8 demonstrators but you can still see the the same amount of rotations as the AAW Symposium. The AAW Symposium costs $325 or $350, I think SWAT went up this year to $200. Hotel in Atlanta $150 a day you can find rooms at SWAT for half that and at Cincinnati we get a room for 3 days for $150. Parking at the hotel in Atlanta was $32 a day for valet parking, free parking at both SWAT and Cincy. At Atlanta for lunch a hamburger and ice cold fries were $12, SWAT free lunch every day and Cincinnati gives you breakfast, lunch and supper every day included in the price. I don't know what the banquet cost at Atlanta but it is included at SWAT and Cincy. It will soon be that only the wealthy can attend an AAW Symposium. Just checked and it looks like SWAT did not raise their prices. With banquet $175, 8 lead demonstrators and 11 regional demonstrators. Something to think about.

I agree one hundred percent with Bill. The AAW symposium has grown too large to be a "value" to most people. As stated you can only see a few rotations but are paying a premium price to see all rotations which just can not be done. There are much better "values" out there for aspiring turners. just my $.02

I heard somewhere that there were 1500 attendees. The instant gallery is awesome. I think the expanded menu of demonstrators plus the chance to see international turners is what sets the AAW apart. Nevertheless Bill convinced me to go to Cincinnati.

Not for the same reasons stated above, sour grapes, etc, I would not recommend the AAW symposium to an Aspiring Turner.
I would recommend regional and/or local activities first.
If this aspiring turner is in the North west I would stick to that part of the country. SWAT or Ohio are very far and costs become relative compared to benefits. There are many regional symposiums which have wonderful programs and would not be overwhelming to an Aspiring turner.
Most symposiums have rotations for beginning turners and the instant galleries always have wonderful work to inspire.
I would hold back on a long trip to any of the many, or the AAW, until Aspiring turns to actual.
I waited until after I had attended local club mini-symposiums, our state symposium and classes before I ventured out to the AAW in 2005.
I do not regret that choice, I was blown away by the AAW symposium and have attended many since as well as more regional shows.
A couple of years we have passed on the national due to timing and cost issues. This year I volunteered in Atlanta to offset some of the cost.

One way or another, if the interest level is high enough, go to any of them. They are available all year long and all over the country.

Website
www.jjstephen.com
Yeah, the very size of this conference means that it has to be held in a convention center of the size pretty much only found in large cities. Large city convention centers are virtually always downtown, which means jacked up hotel rates, parking charges, more expensive food, and so on.

I have only been to one so far (St. Paul) and have considered going to a couple of others but they have conflicted with personal travel plans. Pittsburgh was especially sad to miss since I could have easily driven to it. I am planning on going next year though. The big city locations do come with their annoyances, as does any really large conference in general, but I suspect it is still worth it to go at least once every few years or so.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jamie I myself think that the smaller symposiums are better values. SWAT is one of the best and Cincinnati is my favorite. The AAW may have 30 demonstrators but you can only see x amount of rotations, a smaller symposium may only have 8 demonstrators but you can still see the the same amount of rotations as the AAW Symposium. The AAW Symposium costs $325 or $350, I think SWAT went up this year to $200. Hotel in Atlanta $150 a day you can find rooms at SWAT for half that and at Cincinnati we get a room for 3 days for $150. Parking at the hotel in Atlanta was $32 a day for valet parking, free parking at both SWAT and Cincy. At Atlanta for lunch a hamburger and ice cold fries were $12, SWAT free lunch every day and Cincinnati gives you breakfast, lunch and supper every day included in the price. I don't know what the banquet cost at Atlanta but it is included at SWAT and Cincy. It will soon be that only the wealthy can attend an AAW Symposium. Just checked and it looks like SWAT did not raise their prices. With banquet $175, 8 lead demonstrators and 11 regional demonstrators. Something to think about.

SWAT registration is still $140 ... And as you said with the $35 banquet ticket that most attendees get, the total is $175. There's also a Friday night build your own gourmet burger option this year for those who want to see the Mahoney-Batty battle of the bowls program rather than going across the street to restaurant row. If you stay at the Hilton host hotel then breakfast is "free". There are plenty of hotels at all price levels in Waco since it is a college town.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ive been to about 5 aaw symposiums. I do like SWAT And Cinncinatti. Also the TAW in Nashville is great. What sets the AAW apart is the size of the instant gallery a d the size of the vendor. Often new tools and new techniques are introduced.
The best thinv is all the people you get to meet both international and local. Its surprising who you might meet if you just stay open. I was just sitti g on a bench in the hotel at one symposium and started a conversation with the guy next to me. It was Ghorst DePlesis probably the best ornamental turner out there. Very friendly guy.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... I was just sitti g on a bench in the hotel at one symposium and started a conversation with the guy next to me. It was Ghorst DePlesis probably the best ornamental turner out there. Very friendly guy.

At SWAT a couple years ago, I was just sitting at a table in the hotel talking to a guy and it turned out to be John Lucas. You never know what famous person you will meet at a symposium.

Well, I have now been to 6 or 7. Reasons I go are one to sell, though I never come close to covering my costs. Two is to meet all these people I chat with on line but have never met in person, and some times I can even place names with faces... Third would be information overload. The demonstrations are good, and there is so much to see and learn it can be overwhelming. New toys are always interesting too, and there are a lot of demos in the vendor area. I have family north of KC, so will be there for sure. I am not the most social person, but start me talking about turning.....

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
For those of you who went to Atlanta last week, what reasons would you give to an aspiring turner to go to Kansas City next year? Assume said turner isn't looking to fill his/her checked bag with new tools.:) I have one friend who seems skeptical about the value of going. Myself, I'd need to start saving up today.:p
I know someone said something about there being too many demonstrations and you cant see them all. True but thats also a good thing. There are so many more to choose from. Dont just go see thr big name turners. Pick a topic you like and sit througb that one. Of course the big name turners are fun to watch but usually they are in larger rooms so your not as close to the action.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I know someone said something about there being too many demonstrations and you cant see them all. True but thats also a good thing. There are so many more to choose from. Dont just go see thr big name turners. Pick a topic you like and sit througb that one. Of course the big name turners are fun to watch but usually they are in larger rooms so your not as close to the action.

I agree with that, John. If you have a particular topic that interests you then by all means go if you can. I couldn't swing any trips this year (lousy year in the oil patch here in the gulf region), but went to Phoenix and Pittsburgh. I got to see John Beaver and Steve Kennard at Phoenix and Steve again at Pittsburgh, as well. Front row or close. Great video also, and the chance to interact after the classes too.

Also, for me a big part is the chance to volunteer in the youth rooms. There's so much you can learn as a volunteer just by being in that room and watching great turners teach kids (Al Hockenbery and Joe Ruminski, I'm talking to you here especially :) ). And even though your main responsibility is to keep the kids safe, you really get a chance to think about how you approach turning and it really does help to sharpen your skills. Plus, when my grandson and daughter are a bit older, I'll be a bit more knowledgeable about how to get them started.

Another major thing too is just to see hundreds upon hundreds of turnings that are far more beautiful and more expertly turned than are mine. It's humbling and inspiring, but above all educational. Lots of the turners are hanging around the gallery and everyone is willing to talk. I'm willing to listen and soak it up.

Having said all that, I really do want to go to SWAT this coming year. Hopefully I can go to that one and KC. Get some good brisket and Waco and a bit of everything in KC.

Jamie, You are experienced enough to get a lot out of the symposium. I didn't get to Atlanta but did go to Pittsburgh last year. I loved it for all the reasons mentioned above. Meeting folks on the forums is one of the highlights too ( @Mark Hepburn ). There are sessions for all different levels. For instance I have gotten a lot out of sessions on form like one with Jaques Vesery at the symposium and Steve Sinner at Totally Turning. Sessions like these can help you take your turning to new levels. I don't know when I will get to the symposium again but I'll go to the local events as well every chance I get.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have to say, I have seen them grow dramatically. First AAW was San Antonio, 1997?
I have demoed at three. SWAT was the old days in the campgrounds, and demoed at 4 I think.
Alot of it is the networking, seeing once a year friends, the vendor areas are real cool because if you go during a rotation, you can have a much more intimate conversation.
Instant galleries are the place where alot of ideas are born. I have seen some really good turners grow from being good at copying a style to the development of their own phenomenal style.
I have been to Saratoga Springs, which is cool because of the mix of really talented "woodworkers" and turners.
Demoed several times at Rocky Mountain which is great, more intimate than SWAT but the same feel. And one time got to demo at Southern States too. Infact the same weekend that the Pro cycling event went through town. Ran outside, watched them ride down the street then back in to woodturning.
I have to say, I wish to go to Provo one time.

But AAW has a different feel to it. For demonstrators in the US, it is the big show. For alot of vendors too.I often say as a vendor not attending, it is a conspicuous absence.

I did see the turned guitar at the Symposium, but didn't get to play it.... Some of the stuff in the gallery leaves me scratching my head with one of the 'I just don't get it' looks, and some of it is incredible.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Regionals are terrific. AAW is terrific. They are very very very different.

It is a bit of Apples and Oranges. One analogy is a major league game versus the Allstar game.
Over time you see all the All stars at Camden yards. At the Allstar game that year's stars are all there plus all the hoopla and special events. If you are only interested in seeing demonstrations go to a regional.

Foreign demonstrators rarely appear anywhere but AAW and Utah.
As an example Jimmy Clewes was at the AAW twice and Utah at least once while he lived in England but not at any regionals until he moved to Las Vegas then he got invited to all the regionals.

If you want to see things out of the mainstream go to AAW. Panel discussion, " how to demonstrate", ornamental turning, turning cardboard....

Size is another key element. The Florida Symposium and most regionals have under 300 attendees which creates an intimate atmosphere that I enjoy very much. The AAW runs around 1400, Swat 850-950, Utah 650-700 all too big to offer the intimate atmosphere.

Australian, South African, French, English, Irish, Germans, New Zealanders..... do make rare appearances at regionals but extremely rarely with the exception of Utah.
The swat trade show is the biggest of the regionals but as an example craft supplies will have a small booth at SWAT and 10 booths at the AAW in Atlanta. SWAT has a great instant gallery but only a handful of the top turners showing their work in any year. AAW has 40-50 of the top turners showing their work in the instant gallery and the various shows.

The best deal around is the Florida Sympsoium. Under $300 includes meals and 2 nights lodging 8 total demonstrators,4 demo rooms, 8 rotations. $20 for gas and $15 for breakfast on the way total cost $335. FWS is terrific at what it does.

I had my way paid to SWAT but it would have cost me about a $900-1000 to go on my own. SWAT is terrific at what it does.

I have also been to the Rocky Mountain Sympsoium and the Totally Turning when it was in Albany. Both are terrific!

AAW Atlanta cost two of us about $2300 this year with 4 nights in the westin (most people stay 3 nights) and we drove. Half is a couple hundred more than going to SWAT.
Of course we all spend money and eat even if we stay home.
AAW IS TERRIFIC!

Last edited:
If this aspiring turner is in the North west I would stick to that part of the country. SWAT or Ohio are very far and costs become relative compared to benefits. There are many regional symposiums which have wonderful programs and would not be overwhelming to an Aspiring turner.
I'm wondering more about next year as far as a BIG symposium goes, but in all reality, Portland in 2017 is much more likely. I'm hoping there's some kind of regional symposium in Oregon this year, but haven't found anything in a quick search. @robo hippy ??? Have to say, while SWAT sounds great in theory, being in Waco, Texas in August, just the mere thought and I melt. No worries about me being overwhelmed -- I've attended, as a committee member and instructor, several national conferences in cancer research, and even more impressively survived, as a spectator, the 2009 World Dressage Championships in Las Vegas.:eek:

Oregon Woodturning Symposium in Albany Oregon in March next year. I will post more as I find out about it. Smaller venue, and they had a great bunch of demonstrators.

I would pass on Las Vegas, just don't like that town. I was chatting with Dale Larson about venues, and his comment was that we are too big for the smaller places, and too small for the bigger places, and there doesn't seem to be any medium sized places..

robo hippy

Oregon Woodturning Symposium in Albany Oregon in March next year. I will post more as I find out about it. Smaller venue, and they had a great bunch of demonstrators.

I would pass on Las Vegas, just don't like that town. I was chatting with Dale Larson about venues, and his comment was that we are too big for the smaller places, and too small for the bigger places, and there doesn't seem to be any medium sized places..

robo hippy
Is the Oregon thing every other year, or was it early this year? Re: Las Vegas, yeah -- I really dislike the town, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal, I really couldn't say "No."

The Oregon Woodturning Symposium is alternating with the show in Arizona, both of which are every other year. This will be the second OWS.

robo hippy

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Jamie. my first AAW Symposium was Hartford, in 2010. It was like taking a drink of water from a fire hose! The tidal wave of stuff coming at you from every direction imaginable is barely manageable.

That said, I wish I attended one earlier in my woodturning journey. In Hartford, I got an Instant Gallery Critique from Andi Wolfe, Jacques Vesery and J. Paul Fennell. Their comments were invaluable to my woodturning journey. Attended so many demos I couldn't keep track. And the demonstrators are all open and welcoming to questions and helping you on your journey. The Trade Show always has top notch demonstrators working in the booths, and they are equally accessible. The friends you make are friends for a lifetime. I have been to every one since, missing only San jose, because of a nephews graduation. Do it! You won't regret it.

Jamie. my first AAW Symposium was Hartford, in 2010. It was like taking a drink of water from a fire hose! The tidal wave of stuff coming at you from every direction imaginable is barely manageable.

That said, I wish I attended one earlier in my woodturning journey. In Hartford, I got an Instant Gallery Critique from Andi Wolfe, Jacques Vesery and J. Paul Fennell. Their comments were invaluable to my woodturning journey. Attended so many demos I couldn't keep track. And the demonstrators are all open and welcoming to questions and helping you on your journey. The Trade Show always has top notch demonstrators working in the booths, and they are equally accessible. The friends you make are friends for a lifetime. I have been to every one since, missing only San jose, because of a nephews graduation. Do it! You won't regret it.
Thanks, Donna. And I love your fire-hose analogy! One of the best things about going to a national symposium would be meeting the AAW members who are active in this forum. I've had a similar experience back in my "flat" woodworking days, the fun of meeting forum acquaintances at a big pig roast in Seattle, and staying in touch afterward.

PS: Can I steal your tag line? (just kidding) Have a couple of turning friends who can't believe I'm in the shop almost every day.

Dittos on the BBQ angle. Not many places like KC in that regard. One of the best, Jack Stack within a mile of the convention center. I only live 25 miles from downtown. Even though the convention center is huge there are plenty of parking opportunities without having to pay an arm and a leg within a block. The underground parking that is attached to the convention center is higher. If you've never been to KC it's a friendly town, good food and you'll feel safe around the convention center area walking on the streets.. Hope everybody can make it. Our turners club will be helping out all we can.

Jamie,

What are you looking to get out of attending? For me, it is mostly to see techniques, methods, and ideas for functional objects that I can give away to friends, family, enemies, etc. (And to buy wood, and possibly tools). I have no aspirations to be an artist, nor do I have a desire to have income from woodturning.

Atlanta was my 3rd AAW; the first I attended was Phoenix. I will attend Kansas City, and very likely Portland OR. (disclosure: I have outside sources of income, and I have frequent flyer points that I used to fly to Pittsburgh and Atlanta, and I suspect I will be able to carpool to KC and fly to Portland on points).

I consider myself a novice, even though I've been in touch with a lathe for many many years. My total hands-on-time-on-lathe is not that large, though. Based on the questions you ask and some of the photos you've posted, I suspect you now have more time-on-a-lathe than I do.

Yes, it is physically impossible to see everything. But it's not impossible to seek out a few interesting demonstrations and see them. This year (2016), the Women-in-Turning organized adult classes (open to both men and women), which were very well done and very well received (at least, by hearsay). I fully expect 2017 to have something like that again. There are approximately 12-14 simultaneous demonstrations, with about 12 different time slots, although many of the demonstrations are repeated 2-3 times, so you can see 12 unique demonstrations.

You get to see world-class artists, artisans, and craftsmen (and women). I didn't get to see as many in Atlanta as I wanted to, because I was helping the video lead. For those of you who attended, I hope the video experience Friday-thru-Sunday was good,and I apologize for some of the video hiccups on Thursday (special interests). Of the ones that I got to see, Benoit Averly's "using a skew to make boxes"; Jason Breach's extremely skillful and creative boxes, and Jean Francois Escoulen's off-axis/multi-axis work were standouts. Seeing both Jason and Jean-Francois use a Bedan tool (which I had considered to be fairly useless) gives me the desire to buy an inexpensive Bedan, and regrind it the way that Jason has it ground, for the interior of small boxes and for tenons. These are things which will help me grow in the long term. Michael Blankenship gets beautiful cuts--and he is highly vision-impaired. That leads me to think about trying to get more of a feel when turning, rather than looking. (I'm not sure I have the guts to close my eyes when turning--but Michael's work is topnotch).

For more immediate improvement in skills, a mentor, a club workshop with a professional demonstrator, or a class at a professional's place will provide very fast improvements. Practice time, including the willingness to saw your bowls in half to see your contours (I don't have the guts for that yet) help with the hand-eye coordination and the muscle memory a lot more than watching a demo.

The instant gallery and the items being auctioned are amazing--but I find myself less interested in that.

The trade show and vendors provide access to things you don't normally get. For me, getting some bradford pear, some Florida East Indian Rosewood, etc. were all good. Meeting Reed (robo-hippy) in person is great, and I relieved him of some myrtle (aka California or pacific coast bay laurel).

Rumor has it that there are going to be some really world class demonstrators in KC (not that the ones in Atlanta were shabby). The organizers (both local and national) always seem to be able to get some really good demonstrators and topics.

So, yes, I would encourage you to attend at least one national symposium. Whether you do so as an aspiring intermediate turner, or as an accomplished turner, you'll get something out of it!

Last edited:
Jamie, What are you looking to get out of attending?
Inspiration and education. I get inspired every time I go to a chapter meeting -- a symposium would really fire me up. But also, meeting people I "know" online (hope to meet you in Portland. I'll go to that one barring any fatal happenstance in the meantime.)

I suspect you now have more time-on-a-lathe than I do.
Ahhhh, but I may not learn as fast as you do.:)

There are approximately 12-14 simultaneous demonstrations, with about 12 different time slots, although many of the demonstrations are repeated 2-3 times, so you can see 12 unique demonstrations.
Twelve demos would certain satiate my appetite -- not sure I could mentally handle more than that. Must say, some of the stories about not being able to see the demos because of crowding concerns me. My functional eyesight isn't that great, even when corrected to almost 20/20. I'll have to get tips on how to be in the right place at the right time.

For more immediate improvement in skills, a mentor, a club workshop with a professional demonstrator, or a class at a professional's place will provide very fast improvements. Practice time, including the willingness to saw your bowls in half to see your contours (I don't have the guts for that yet) help with the hand-eye coordination and the muscle memory a lot more than watching a demo.

I take advantage of all of the above! and they have all helped tremendously. I've even sawn a few bowls in half, usually when I know they won't finish well (overly spalted maple, mostly, and a bug-holed alder. We have the Port Townsend School of Woodworking only 45 mins drive from the island I live on, and I'd like to save up for a good bowl class there. That's where I took the 2-day Bonnie Klein workshop when I first got a lathe. She teaches a bowl class, not sure who else might (expensive, though!).

Thanks for all your info, Hy, I'm looking forward to Portland. Will shop for wood, too! Since I'll be driving, I can bring back more than if on a plane.

some rotations are very crowded.....be early, but that sometimes will not get u a seat on front row.....I try to get seat on last row where I can stand and move around, for me that is much more helpful, I usually watch the projection, if the cameraman is good and they generally are, the highlights are shown and I am not caught looking at something else
Must say, some of the stories about not being able to see the demos because of crowding concerns me. My functional eyesight isn't that great, even when corrected to almost 20/20. I'll have to get tips on how to be in the right place at the right time.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
some rotations are very crowded..
Charlie,
Do you remember which rotations were standing room? I like to keep track of that.

We had about 2267 demo seats in Atlanta. So there were 900 empty seats every rotation.
We know people don't follow our predictions of popularity.
Room Seating ranged from 85 to 237.
The room with 237 will never fill up for a demo and The room with 85 is going to fill up sometimes.
When we assign rooms we attempt to put the more popular demos in large rooms and those that are targeted to a small audience in the smaller rooms.

I know we needed a bigger room for Jason Breach. We also made a mistake with the Thursday night Moulthroup talk. We considered putting it in the opening ceremony's space but based on past disappointing turnouts for Thursday night talks, we didn't want them on the big stage with an audience of 100. As it was we got extra chairs and sat about 260. Unfortunately there were 20-30 people outside the room that could not be seated. Made the wrong decision.

Do you remember which rotations were standing room? I like to keep track of that.
I could not attend Atlanta but was a general observation.....Stuart Batty comes to mind as one that always seems to be overflowing.....I just need to be able to stand and move a little in the 1 1/2 hours of rotations so I sit in the back and watch the screen

Jamie, before u attend symposium....either regional or national....look to the list of demostrators.....the more symposium u go to the more demonstrators u recognize their work.....some names are just plain new either to us because they are foreign or they are just getting recognition.....or the turner adds new stuff he is demo'ing (Al and his sand thingy) then just do a search with turners name and woodturner........example Jason Breach woodturner....go to web site , see his work, look at the title of his rotations and make plans to attend that rotation.....I believe his sunday rotation was the one that would have been the "looking for a chair rotation"

Charlie,

We had about 2267 demo seats in Atlanta. So there were 900 empty seats every rotation.
We know people don't follow our predictions of popularity.
Room Seating ranged from 85 to 237.
The room with 237 will never fill up for a demo and The room with 85 is going to fill up sometimes.
When we assign rooms we attempt to put the more popular demos in large rooms and those that are targeted to a small audience in the smaller rooms.

I know we needed a bigger room for Jason Breach. We also made a mistake with the Thursday night Moulthroup talk. We considered putting it in the opening ceremony's space but based on past disappointing turnouts for Thursday night talks, we didn't want them on the big stage with an audience of 100. As it was we got extra chairs and sat about 260. Unfortunately there were 20-30 people outside the room that could not be seated. Made the wrong decision.

Al, Not Charlie, but I can give some answer. If you want times I would have to look up those. The standing ones I was in were Digital Photography, Frank Penta, Not sure maybe Michael Hosaluk.

Inspiration and education. I get inspired every time I go to a chapter meeting -- a symposium would really fire me up. But also, meeting people I "know" online (hope to meet you in Portland. I'll go to that one barring any fatal happenstance in the meantime.)

Ahhhh, but I may not learn as fast as you do.:)

Twelve demos would certain satiate my appetite -- not sure I could mentally handle more than that. Must say, some of the stories about not being able to see the demos because of crowding concerns me. My functional eyesight isn't that great, even when corrected to almost 20/20. I'll have to get tips on how to be in the right place at the right time.

I take advantage of all of the above! and they have all helped tremendously. I've even sawn a few bowls in half, usually when I know they won't finish well (overly spalted maple, mostly, and a bug-holed alder. We have the Port Townsend School of Woodworking only 45 mins drive from the island I live on, and I'd like to save up for a good bowl class there. That's where I took the 2-day Bonnie Klein workshop when I first got a lathe. She teaches a bowl class, not sure who else might (expensive, though!).

Thanks for all your info, Hy, I'm looking forward to Portland. Will shop for wood, too! Since I'll be driving, I can bring back more than if on a plane.

Inspiration? The instant gallery will overwhelm you with inspiration. I'm not an artist (let alone an artiste), so while I liked it, it's not really my thing as much as the other things.

Learning :-D I'm not greatly coordinated. You should have seen me having a midlife crisis and try to learn to snowboard. You should see me demonstrate "the catch" and "the colorful words." :-D

Good places to sit: The video team in Atlanta was better (IMO) than the video team in Phoenix. For the most part, the video equipment in Atlanta was better than Pittsburgh (we hassled the onsite A/V contractor to replace bulbs on Thurs. evening. We still had some problems dimming the lights in some rooms; the remote controls for lights didn't all work). In my opinion, the best place to sit is a couple of rows behind the projector, if the room is laid out with the projector/screen and 2 cameras/switchbox. The best place to sit is a few rows back of front row, left or right side, if you're in a room with Rick Baker's camera-on-dolly-and-2-big-screen TVs. When I was video operator for Jerry Kermode last year (now, that's a fun guy!), the poor folks sitting front-and-center had a poor view--because they had a poor view of the screen. Jerry and I talked ahead of time about what he was doing, what I should be focused on, etc. That's in the video training handouts--talk to the demonstrator ahead of time, and get an idea of what he or she will be doing, and where the camera(s) will have the best views. Based on Pittsburgh (I was running around too much in Atlanta), showing up 20 minutes before the demo starts pretty much guarantees you a good seat. The few demos I could watch in Atlanta, 5 minutes before the demo also gave you a good seat. (Excepting Dale Larson, who was SRO; Benoit Averly had one demo that was just about SRO, but you still had a good view from the back).

2 days with Bonnie Klein? I'm green with envy. One of my good friends in Albuquerque suggested that I find a Michael Hosaluk class (I think he's trying to mash my left brain, and get my right brain activated).

The trade show demonstrators are no slouch either, by the way. This year, Stuart Batty did not have a rotation--but he demo'ed in the Woodworking Emporium booth, and you could easily get up close and personal to Stuart. I don't know who demo'ed in the Oneway booth, but he had some really good stuff going, with coring a bowl and finishing some natural edge work. Nick Cook was in the Powermatic booth, and Nick is one of the best demonstrators I've seen. To appreciate Nick, you've got to get close (or have a good camera operator). If pyrography is your thing, Megan Williams in the Craft Supplies booth is out of this world.

If you don't make it to Kansas City in 2017, I certainly hope to see you in Portland in 2018. I'm likely to be one of the video volunteers (hopefully not the video lead's personal go-fer, but you accept the assignments you are given).

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Al, Not Charlie, but I can give some answer. If you want times I would have to look up those. The standing ones I was in were Digital Photography, Frank Penta, Not sure maybe Michael Hosaluk.
Gerald, Hy,
Thanks
Al

The few demos I could watch in Atlanta, 5 minutes before the demo also gave you a good seat. (Excepting Dale Larson, who was SRO; Benoit Averly had one demo that was just about SRO, but you still had a good view from the back).

Back