• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reasons to go to 2017 Symposium

Never been to the AAW and since KC is close I plan to go. Have been to Tennessee and Waco and very much enjoyed both.

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
Jamie if you are serious about becoming the best woodturner you can be, and maybe even have fantasies of creating work comparable to national level pieces someday, then save your money and go. If this is just a fun hobby then I would say no, find some smaller event that is close and maybe cheaper to go to, or take a class close to home. I personally loved the 2016 symposium in Atlanta. Meeting the greats and having your own work on the same tables with others from around the country is great. I was so encouraged to see quite a few other turners taking pic's of my work just like I was doing of all the pieces that I found to be outstanding. Great place to gain inspiration for future pieces of your own. I have already gone back and looked at the ones I took many times. The trade show is outstanding (if you have saved money to spend on tools) I think I liked the trade show almost as much as the demos. It was so good to finally meet people that I had been communicating with for many years through the various forums etc.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Jamie if you are serious about becoming the best woodturner you can be, and maybe even have fantasies of creating work comparable to national level pieces someday, then save your money and go. If this is just a fun hobby then I would say no, find some smaller event that is close and maybe cheaper to go to, or take a class close to home. I personally loved the 2016 symposium in Atlanta. Meeting the greats and having your own work on the same tables with others from around the country is great. I was so encouraged to see quite a few other turners taking pic's of my work just like I was doing of all the pieces that I found to be outstanding. Great place to gain inspiration for future pieces of your own. I have already gone back and looked at the ones I took many times. The trade show is outstanding (if you have saved money to spend on tools) I think I liked the trade show almost as much as the demos. It was so good to finally meet people that I had been communicating with for many years through the various forums etc.

Breck, I couldn't agree more. I really regretted that I couldn't go to Atlanta - the closest one to home, ironically - after being able to attend Phoenix and Pittsburgh (my youngest daughter is getting married so watching those pennies :). Your comments are dead on. Even if it's just a hobby, there is tremendous value in attending.

<soabox>

I'd also highly recommend to anyone who goes that they volunteer for at least a couple of things. It's rewarding, you make new friends and it can be very educational. The youth classes aren't just fun but educational for the adults too. Make and donate a couple of bowls and meet the other donors; do a beads of courage box and so on. Beside the satisfaction of having done something for someone else, you'll really feel more connected to the community.

</soapbox>

I got to talk with so many great turners just hanging out in the gallery, and not just the recognized turners but people doing amazing work. And I ended up being able to arrange a great class with a great turner this past year.

I'm going to be at KC if I have to hitch hike :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
@Breck Whitworth, @Mark Hepburn,
You both expressed the value of the AAW symposoium to the serious turner.
The serious turner is a concept I have been formulating in my own mind and both of you expressed a concept I agree with a lot! Most likely most of the forum participants are serious or leaning in that direction.

first let me say not everyone has to be a serious turner. A lot of folks just have fun making beginner level turnings and going to local chapter meetings. They have little interest in becoming better turners or making better work. They are having fun and that is good enough for them. The sympsoium is not their best use of time or money.

For those that have a passion for turning, a desire to improve technically, an ambition to connect with other turners, and an aspiration to create signature work, the AAW symposium has a lot to offer.

Last edited:
For those of you who went to Atlanta last week, what reasons would you give to an aspiring turner to go to Kansas City next year? Assume said turner isn't looking to fill his/her checked bag with new tools.:) I have one friend who seems skeptical about the value of going. Myself, I'd need to start saving up today.:p
I can't comment about Atlanta but I went to Kansas City the last time it was there. My take is that it is a great place to network and absorb different ideas, and techniques from a large resource of fantastic turners. I found it a great place to become inspired to work harder in developing my work. Plus start working on your items for the instant gallery now.

Back