• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Refrigerator kiln?

This is so interesting. I have a kiln, but suspect many don’t and use the good old paper bag method as I did for years. I don’t remember any problem with insects using the paper bag method. From my understanding insects need moisture to survive. I think insects need moisture to survive and once the wood is dry they dye. I built my kiln for quicker drying, not really for killing insects. I guess killing insects is a bonus. I do four cycles using my kiln. Start slow 90-100F with a pan of water for 7 days, 100-120F for 7 days, 120-130F for 7 days, and 130-140F for 7 days. I keep it on the last cycle until I have two 3 day reading the same. A little over a month. Now I have no idea if my internal temperature reaches the 133F as described by the USDA. Mostly bowls, but some blanks. However, I don’t expect there are any live insects once my wood is dry in my kiln. Is this a big problem experienced by many that I am not aware of?
I've read that powder post beetle eggs can remain dormant for up to 12 years. The picture is some soft maple I had stored in a shed. Note that there are very few exit holes. So a few exit holes can mean miles of trails. https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/volusiaco/2022/08/08/avoid-bringing-home-the-powderpost-beetles-from-yard-and-estate-sales/#:~:text=These pests are active all,be reinfested year after year.

Attachments

• IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I've read that powder post beetle eggs can remain dormant for up to 12 years. The picture is some soft maple I had stored in a shed. Note that there are very few exit holes. So a few exit holes can mean miles of trails. https://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/volusiaco/2022/08/08/avoid-bringing-home-the-powderpost-beetles-from-yard-and-estate-sales/#:~:text=These pests are active all,be reinfested year after year.
Yep, and they'll happily much on your grandpappy's 200 year old chestnut secretary desk, if they find some unfinished wood to lay their eggs - they don't care if it's bone dry or not. (they'll also bore into MDF and Plywood - I know from experience.)

Richard,
Wood is a good insulator but if you were drying 4" stock in a sawmill kiln you would still have to sterilize. I would think water at 210 degrees surrounding it would do the trick although it might take a bit of time. I might experiment just for the heck of it. Boil a piece of thinker stock for a few hours, pull it out, immediately cut it in half and use a thermal scanner to check internal temp. It would be a good test. Could try several pieces pulled at 1 hr, 2 hr and three hour time periods.

@Richard Coers Like I said interesting. Removing the moisture moist likely kill the beetles, but the larva eggs will likely survive in a doormat state waiting for the right conditions to re-infest the wood. Then this would be using the paper bag method of drying. Since I do have a kiln, I think my last cycle between 130 and 140 will get the internal temperature to the 133F for at least 30 minutes. This is a 7 day cycle with 6 days added on for a total of 312 hours. I would think everything would be very dead including the larva eggs. I need to rethink if I put my air dried wood in my kiln for the last cycle just to kill any insect and destroy an larva eggs. I haven’t seen any signs of powder post beetles in my stored wood.
@Brian Gustin I would think both of those cases would happen because the right conditions occurred. MDF seems a reach with all the resins and chemicals involved, but I guess anything is possible.
@DON FRANK I have also heard boiling reduces drying time and soaking in DNA works as well. I doubt I would do either for large blanks. For small blanks I have used a microwave.

USDA has done the testing on heating times. As an example, they found that it takes between 246 and 304 minutes to raise the core temperature of 6x6 red maple from 60 degrees to 133 degrees in a 157 degree oven at high humidity. That’s under 5 hours. I’m heating for 10 times that long, using the plastic bags to maintain high humidity.

That said, I still plan to track heating time during my next batch. This will be in several weeks because I have a batch of wood drying right now.

Here is a link to the study

Back