• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

relatively new to bowl making with some diverse questions.

I have been playing mostly with bowls. I sold an old AMT lathe and a Shopsmith with lathe attachments, both of which I had used to make spindles for an old house my son was restoring and got a decent new lathe. Friends have given me smaller logs including acacia and mesquite. Recently, I picked up some freshly cut african sumac from a "free wood" pile. I've also brought wood home from MN and OR.

Questions:

I have an old Jet Dust collector retrofitted with a HEPA filter and a cyclone. Do I need a better dust collection setup since I already have COPD.
What is the best way to protect my lungs while in my shop?

I'm getting a bit of an essential tremor where my left hand shakes some. Is there some hints on how to compensate? I'd hate to give up turning.

Bowls are staacking up faster than I can give them away. Is there a way I can sell bowls where the proceeds go to a charity?

Thanks!

To me, dust collection helps me clean up after, capture fines when sanding on the lathe, and that type of thing. Some models have high quality filters that help improve air quality in the shop. However, dust collection systems typically run intermittently. There are shop air filters designed to run constantly that will help to improve general air quality. I'm running one of these in addition to dust collection.

What will help more with your specific concerns than any of these is a worn respirator such as a 3M Versaflo. Check out this thread for more information. https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/looking-for-a-full-face-mask.19919/#post-213646

There is a charity to help with your excess bowl inventory but no money is transferred to you. https://emptybowls.com/.

Last edited:
COPD.
What is the best way to protect my lungs while in my shop?
A HEPA rated powered air purifying resperator (PAPR).

Do your best to optimize dust collection at the source.

A room air filter or good room ventilation.

Your doctor may have some useful advice, too

Is there a way I can sell bowls where the proceeds go to a charity?
Try Empty Bowls.

I second what's been said. The air supplied helmet will filter the air and supply you with fresh air. A dust mask will filter the air but restricts air flow to you. With COPD you need to keep your blood oxygen level as high as possible, esp. when working on powered equipment. Also put it on as soon as possible since there's always dust in the air in a shop and on your clothing.

My wife has an essential tremor in her right hand. She recently purchase a weighted glove that she wears when writing and painting. It doesn't weigh that much but she says it really helps. She bought it on Amazon. I know wearing a glove while turning is a safety issue but the one she bought does not have fingers which probably would reduce the risk of it getting caught in the lathe.

Well, if you are right handed, then the only thing the left hand does when turning is rest on the tool shaft. A two handed grip makes for bumpy/wavy surfaces. As for dust collection, I have a hood that I made for sanding my bowls, and I can sand all day, and no dust up my nose. I have a bunch of bowl turning videos up on You Tube.

robo hippy

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the air purifying hood and may splurge for one as the disposable masks are hard to wear with glasses and hearing aids (I hate these signs of aging) and it makes breathing more difficult.

My DC does a good job when I'm sanding at the lathe, but there are other times when dust does invade the shop.

I'll check out the weighted glove and pursue whatever the medical community can do.

And Empty Bowls might just fit with what I want to do. Not looking at selling for money for me, but want to keep turning.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm getting a bit of an essential tremor where my left hand shakes some. Is there some hints on how to compensate? I'd hate to give up turning.
This will be an individual experience. I had a friend who was turning miniatures with hands that were shaking badly.
he Said that when he held tools against the tool rest his hands didn’t shake.
maybe you will have a similar experience. With miniatures the tools don’t contact the body but there is often support from the tool rest, lathe or other surfaces.

For regular size turnings like bowls I don’t get fine control with the hands. My forward hand holds The tool against the tool rest. I sometimes do this with an open hand Other times thumb and forefinger. The other hand holds the handle against my side or against by thigh.
curves are turned by rotating my body and shifting weigh from the back foot to the forward foot.
the tool moves over the tool rest as needed forward/backward and left/right.

I hope this tracks with what you are doing.

Last edited:
So far, when at the lathe, things are pretty good. I do use my body while holding the tool. But sometimes I have difficulty holding a chisel and hitting it when removing bark before putting a piece on the lathe.

I have tremor in both hands. It’s bad enough that I need to use both hands when drinking from a glass or I will get wet. Hasn’t been too much of an issue with turning. I think it has forced me to use my body instead of hands more when turning. This is the best way anyway.

Hockenbery is spot on. Fine control in the hands is not needed if you make good use of the tool rest and your body. Of course there are still times the tremor causes a poor cut, I just cut a little more to smooth it out.

I don’t think I will ever be able to make lampshades or hats, but it’s still a fun hobby and I can make nice things.

Best advice I can give is to develop good form now so that if the tremors get worse it’s not an issue in the future. Try to get in the habit of never holding a tool in one hand when approaching the lathe. When I do the hand holding the tool shakes at just the wrong time. Then the tip of the tool hits the wood before I’m ready and ruins the piece.

I have my dust collector set up to a “scoop” that I can adjust inches from my turning. Really helps even turning certain woods that aren’t producing nice curls and shavings. Really great when sanding. Best wishes, don’t slow down!

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I ordered a PAPR and have my DC scoop adjusted so it collects well when sanding or producing dusty (non curls) particles. Now that the weather is warming up here, I can open the door and windows and run the evaporative cooler which clears the air rapidly.

Best advice I can give is to develop good form now so that if the tremors get worse it’s not an issue in the future. Try to get in the habit of never holding a tool in one hand when approaching the lathe. When I do the hand holding the tool shakes at just the wrong time. Then the tip of the tool hits the wood before I’m ready and ruins the piece.
Very good advise. My biggest problems have been when I'm approaching the work with a tool or removing the tool.

Thanks to everyone!

Back