• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Richard Brown

Hi everyone my name is Richard Brown, I'm a disabled Marine who enjoys woodworking. I'm just getting in to turning, I'm in the Baton Rouge, La. area and there are only clubs like an hour and a half away in 2 directions, New Orleans and Lafayette. I've been doing woodworking for over 25 years but no turning. If there's anyone in the Baton Rouge, La area that either knows of a local club or is willing to help me get started and learn I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Richard

Last edited:
Richard, I checked my 2009 AAW resource directory, no luck on a chapter near Baton Rouge. I think understand your dilemma, I would contact the New Orleans, and Lafayette chapters and ask if there are any members closer to your area. I'm sure there would be a member or two from those clubs willing to mentor you. Who knows maybe a new chapter in Baton Rouge may be in your future.

Thank you for your service to all Americans.

The New Orleans club (Bayou Woodturners) has members that live near you and attend meetings and other events regularly. Some even belong to other clubs as well, such as the one in Lafayette and another in Mobile. Several of them carpool to the meetings held on the 2nd Saturday each month, and I'm confident we can find a way to help you with transportation if you're interested in attending any meetings to check us out.

It's a large group, with lots of activities (including being one of the largest contributing organizations to the Freedom Pens Project). We make shavings at every meeting and you would be greatly welcomed. You'll consider the travel factors a huge return on your investment once you discover how quickly the info, skills, and friends gained by belonging to a club boost you up the learning curve.

Send me a PM and I'll get more info to you.

Last edited:
Neighbors?

Edited: sensitive content removed

Please do not publish the contact information of other members. They may not want it publicly published.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Rick I sent you a PM.

Royce I will email or call both of those guys.

Royce, just a thought, but AAW members' addresses and phone numbers are available to members (only) via the Members Directory, and a lot of folks don't necessarily want that info posted on a publicly-viewable forum like this. I realize you offered the contact information in the spirit of helping, but in this case it would have been better to send that info in a PM instead of a public posting. ;)

(Mods, if Royce's message gets edited, feel free to delete this post.)

Royce, just a thought, but AAW members' addresses and phone numbers are available to members (only) via the Members Directory, and a lot of folks don't necessarily want that info posted on a publicly-viewable forum like this. I realize you offered the contact information in the spirit of helping, but in this case it would have been better to send that info in a PM instead of a public posting. ;)

(Mods, if Royce's message gets edited, feel free to delete this post.)

I'd have to agree with Vaughn. We get comfortable in these forums and we forget sometimes that these forums are on the World Wide Web visible to all.

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
content removed

Edited: sensitive content removed

Please do not publish the contact information of other members. They may not want it publicly published.

A PM or email would have been the means by which to forward that information.

Back