• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Right or Left Handed Turning?

Hi, I'm new to turning and when it's more convenient I've typically switched my hands (left hand on my hip rather than right hand) rather than put my body in an awkward position. I was taking a beginner class at our local club and the instructor was very surprised by this and made me feel like this wasn't a good idea. Most of the video's I've seen also don't show people switching hands, most people turn with their right hand on their hip and left hand near the tool rest. I'd be interested in what people here have to say on the subject, please let me know if I should stop switching - thanks!
Like many of the others on here, I have turned with both hands from the start. It just felt natural so I didn’t think about it. Don’t change a thing and keep turning.

Interesting topic. I was born left handed, my mother almost killed the nun trying to make me right handed in first grade.
I write left handed (rather poorly I will admit) and eat continental. I do most other things ambidextrous. What this has led to is a person with a certificate in professional photography and a degree in computer engineering. Best of both worlds. As for turning, if you are working on the face plate end of the project, left hand near the tool stock, right hand at your hip; at the tail stock, right hand at the tool stiock, left hand at your hip. Interior bowls... left hand at the tool stock, right hand guiding the handle. No other way. t

I’m left handed ( the only thing I do right handed is shoot an bow) and had to force myself to turn the inside of a bowl right handed, basically because I had no choice :). The outside of the bowl I turn mostly left handed, holding the handle in my left hand. I can turn the outside right handed but it is usually on the final two cuts of a finished bowl. I can do pull cuts and shear scrapes either handed.
The outside of a green bowl is completely turned left handed, kind of like Mike Mahoney does but I do glide on the bevel for most of the cut. I had no idea Mahoney was left handed until I was watching a video with Stuart Batty and he mentioned it.
Spindle turning is left or right handed as needed.
So being able to turn right and left has its advantages.
I read a post somewhere, here maybe, from someone who taught themselves to turn from Mike Mahoney without ever realizing that Mike was a lefty, and the student was a righty. Amazing what you can do when you aren't locked in to 'I am X so I MUST do it this way....'

Continue to do both, when one is easier than the other, use it. Doing both helps develop both sides of the brain which is good in the long term. I bat lefty and golf righty and not great at either, but it feels right.

All the others are so politically correct, tactful and socially well adjusted! I say just tell your instructor to stop giving TERRIBLE advice to those who are just learning and are trusting him to teach them well. I suspect that he/she may not have been able to learn ambidextrous turning and is deflecting his inability. ABSOLULTELY, POSITIVELY, keep on using both hands as and when your body and the piece tell you that's the best way to approach your piece. It is a skill you will never regret developing.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The key is the tool has to move a certain way to cut well and leave a clean surface. How it is held doesn’t matter as long as the cutting edge moves through its best cutting arc.

When I teach beginners the push cuts and pull cuts, I always show the cuts a couple of times with each hand forward.
I stress the important part is moving the tool while maintaining bevel and cutting edge contact.
The tool doesn’t care how it is held and will work best when the bevel floats and cutting edge contact is maintained along the curve.
Tool control is much more positive using their body to guide the tool rather than flapping arms.
I show them holding the tool handle against the side and cutting by shifting weight from the back foot to the forward foot and turning at the waist.

Back