• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rob Fridenberg

Hello - I have been looking at this forum since the beginning of the year as I was contemplating buying a wood lathe. I had my sights set very high on a Robust AB or Oneway 2436 but the high cost for the lathe and the supporting bits (and a proper DC) were a bit concerning for something that I may potentially not continue to enjoy doing long term.

I put the lathe idea on the back burner for the summer but found I still had the itch to give it a try. I will be retiring early at the end of November, and with a Michigan winter coming, it was the right time to find something to tinker with. I decided to look for something older/less expensive.

So, I just bought a 1986 Powermatic 90 in really good condition. I liked the idea of the older American steel, and I feel it will be easy to sell if I decide to upgrade later. I will start out slow with minimal tools, however, I will not compromise on the dust collection so this is where I will spend some money (Clear Vue? Oneida?).

This forum is amazing - the depth of knowledge is incredible and everyone is very polite/wanting to help (not all forums are like that)!!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Rob,
Welcome. The cool thing about buying used equipment is that you can almost always sell it for about what you paid for it, getting to “ use it for free” while you decide wether to quit woodturning or buy a bigger better lathe.

The powermatic 90 is a fine machine and should last you 20-30 years.

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to connect with one or more of the AAW Chapters near you.
A class or a mentor can speed you on the way. Learning how to safely remove wood efficiently can let you concentrate of form. Effortlessly making a pile a shavings is rewarding all on its own even you don't Make anything.

Statistics tell us about 20% of new turners stick with it long term.
Hoping the woodturning bug bite you hard enough for you to be one of us long term

Back