• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robo Rest

Im looking for a larger than stock platform for the Wolverine and would like it to wrap around a WTW Megasquare CBN wheel. Its looking like Ken's is the only one on the market??

And the Robust 9" comfort rest looks to be the only other option for the rest.

The Stuart Batty platform looks to have been a good shape and size platform. But you cant buy one of those either.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for a tool rest just like the Robo Rest, I would suggest Steve Sinner's tool rests are most like Robo Hippy's. If you're looking for the Robo platform sharpening rest, then you'll have to wait for whoever bought the tool rights from Robo to finally get into production. I'm not aware of any other sharpening rest that is comparable.

If you want a sharpening platform that has the angle marked for easy reproducibility, there are a couple of options. Kem Rizza's Kodiak platform has the angles printed, but the scale is rather coarse, like 5 degrees. The Nova platform has a finely graded angle scale. I don't know anyone who has the Nova system but it looks like a very nice system and a relative bargain.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have Ken Rizza's platform and it can be locked at any angle if you don't want to use the presets. the ONeway rest doesn't have any preset angle but can be locked at any angle. I modified the Kodiak rest of Ken's. I drilled some holes in the moveable arm and in the platform so that I can lock it every 5 degrees that don't already have a notch. I just insert an allen wrench in the holes I need and then lock it down with the lever. So I have the best of both the Robo rest, the Kodiak rest and the Oneway rest.

I have Ken Rizza's platform and it can be locked at any angle if you don't want to use the presets. the ONeway rest doesn't have any preset angle but can be locked at any angle. I modified the Kodiak rest of Ken's. I drilled some holes in the moveable arm and in the platform so that I can lock it every 5 degrees that don't already have a notch. I just insert an allen wrench in the holes I need and then lock it down with the lever. So I have the best of both the Robo rest, the Kodiak rest and the Oneway rest.
Would love to see you do a thread with pictures on this John!

Im looking for a larger than stock platform for the Wolverine and would like it to wrap around a WTW Megasquare CBN wheel. Its looking like Ken's is the only one on the market??

And the Robust 9" comfort rest looks to be the only other option for the rest.

The Stuart Batty platform looks to have been a good shape and size platform. But you cant buy one of those either.
Hi Bud,
I'd keep a close eye on the Woodworker Emporium website.

The Stuart Batty platform has come in and out of stock a few times in the past 6 months. I only bought one initially, not thinking how much I'd love it but, when I went back to the site, it was out of stock. I waited patiently, and after about 6 weeks, it was back in stock again long enough for me to buy one.
There's no guarantees of course but, if you can get your hands on it's worth the time.
Just need to check the site pretty frequently.

Any idea if Reed's fabricator has continued to make the Robo Rest inside tool rests since Reed has ended his business? Any leads/help would be appreciated. I'd also be interested in purchase one or a set of three if anyone has them for sale.

Got word that the bowl rests may be available for the Symposium. Not sure about the grinder platforms.

John, I think Ken will borrow that idea. Having repeatable sets is essential.

robo hippy

Reed, are you able to share who to contact regarding purchasing and inside "J" rest? I won't be able to go to the Symposium this year and would appreciate knowing how to contact the new seller. Thank you.

Anybody interested in 2 RoboHippy grinding tool rests? Changed by grinder station and have 2 that I no longer need. Mounted on bases that positioned them just right for my Delta 23-197 grinders. Not quite sure what they may be worth. Comments welcome.

Anybody interested in 2 RoboHippy grinding tool rests? Changed by grinder station and have 2 that I no longer need. Mounted on bases that positioned them just right for my Delta 23-197 grinders. Not quite sure what they may be worth. Comments welcome.
If you don’t already have a bus load of folks lined up, I’d take one . These don’t come up often, don’t know what a realistic price might be.
Earl

Im interested Tom

Bud and Earl - Any idea what they went for new - seems to me like I remember they might have been over $100. Not saying I would ask that much but I just can't remember the original price.

Bud and Earl - Any idea what they went for new - seems to me like I remember they might have been over $100. Not saying I would ask that much but I just can't remember the original price.
I dont know what they went for, I got into turning about 3 yrs ago and Reed's stock had dried up.

What did you change to for a grinding system?
Hi Bud,
I have used more systems than I care to admit. One of my big complaints, including with the Tormek systsem, was that I often regrind several times within minutes of each other. Right now I am working on initial shaping of a beautiful burl and that baby takes the edge off a gouge in a big hurry! I find it particularly difficult (dangerous, catch likely) to use anything but a razor sharp gouge for interrupted cutting. My latest setup was 2 Stuart Batty Large grinding platforms (no longer available) and 2 Robo Hippys. I really wanted the RoboHippy platform to be a bit larger (to resist operator error of slightly lifting the handle of the gouge while grinding and thereby messing up the grinding angle). Because I have 2 grinders and 4 angles set I rarely used the ability of the RoboHippy system to quickly change the grinding angle. I recently attended a turning workshop and had a chance to use the OneWay system including the optional Vari-Grind jig. I was really pleased with the results and it is FAST to use. Setup is no more than 60 seconds. The one I used at the workshop had a pair of custom locking rings on the slide. They were set for for 60 and 40 degrees. Slide it out until the 60 ring hits the stop and go. Slide it in until the 40 stop hits the stop and go. Didn't know about the trick of slightly bending the adjustment pin to tighten the platform. But it was really still an issue of wanting a larger platform.

More than anything this is about me and my own peculiarities. I might have to step up and admit to being lazy but I'd prefer to think I am reluctant to take a 5 minute break from turning every time I know the gouge isn't quite sharp enough. Anything I can do to make my shop work better for me, I'm likely to do it.

Incidentally, I found an old reference to the price of the RoboHippy grinding rest - $80. The grinding rests I bought were for the Wolverine system (integrated square tube base mounted at 45 degree angle). Not sure what value my bases add - maybe something, maybe nothing. I'll take some pics and add shortly.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Bud,
I have used more systems than I care to admit. One of my big complaints, including with the Tormek systsem, was that I often regrind several times within minutes of each other. Right now I am working on initial shaping of a beautiful burl and that baby takes the edge off a gouge in a big hurry! I find it particularly difficult (dangerous, catch likely) to use anything but a razor sharp gouge for interrupted cutting. My latest setup was 2 Stuart Batty Large grinding platforms (no longer available) and 2 Robo Hippys. I really wanted the RoboHippy platform to be a bit larger (to resist operator error of slightly lifting the handle of the gouge while grinding and thereby messing up the grinding angle). Because I have 2 grinders and 4 angles set I rarely used the ability of the RoboHippy system to quickly change the grinding angle. I recently attended a turning workshop and had a chance to use the OneWay system including the optional Vari-Grind jig. I was really pleased with the results and it is FAST to use. Setup is no more than 60 seconds. The one I used at the workshop had a pair of custom locking rings on the slide. They were set for for 60 and 40 degrees. Slide it out until the 60 ring hits the stop and go. Slide it in until the 40 stop hits the stop and go. Didn't know about the trick of slightly bending the adjustment pin to tighten the platform. But it was really still an issue of wanting a larger platform.

More than anything this is about me and my own peculiarities. I might have to step up and admit to being lazy but I'd prefer to think I am reluctant to take a 5 minute break from turning every time I know the gouge isn't quite sharp enough. Anything I can do to make my shop work better for me, I'm likely to do it.

Incidentally, I found an old reference to the price of the RoboHippy grinding rest - $80. The grinding rests I bought were for the Wolverine system (integrated square tube base mounted at 45 degree angle). Not sure what value my bases add - maybe something, maybe nothing. I'll take some pics and add shortly.

Regards,

Tom
Do you have a link for the 40/60 deg locking rings?

Do you have a link for the 40/60 deg locking rings?
The locking rings are pretty trivial. Just rings that slip over the OneWay style base bar (sq 1" tubing). Couple of set screws. The angle of the grind is set by adjusting the Vari-Grind jib and then tightening the set screws to lock the rings in place.. I don't believe they are anything that Trent Bosch offers for sale. I made my own.

As promised - pictures. As I took the pics I see the the Robohippys are welded to the square tubing for the Wolverine systems. My bases made it possible for me to attaching the Robos to the bench surface. The thickness of the wood bases was sized for the Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder. As I think you can see, there was nothing sacred about 40 and 60 degrees - just what suited me at the time and easy to change later.

Attachments

• base1.jpg
    base1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 38
  • OneWayRings.jpg
    OneWayRings.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
  • overall.jpg
    overall.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 39
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 37
As promised - pictures. As I took the pics I see the the Robohippys are welded to the square tubing for the Wolverine systems. My bases made it possible for me to attaching the Robos to the bench surface. The thickness of the wood bases was sized for the Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder. As I think you can see, there was nothing sacred about 40 and 60 degrees - just what suited me at the time and easy to change later.
I'm still interested in one or both.

Bud…I’ll step out of this, you have my blessing negotiate for both if you wish.
Great reminder of using stop collars on the one way. My mentor has a few 1/8” holes drilled in his varijig arms, uses old drill bits for stops—another trick I’ve been meaning to adopt.

The tool rests have been sold. Thanks for all the interest.

Back